What Can I Freeze to Eat Later?

I want to start spending several hours on the weekend making meals for the following week. The problem is that I have no idea what freezes well and what does not. What kind of foods freeze the best and which ones should I not freeze? Should I cook the meal and then freeze it or put it all together and then freeze it? Any advice would be appreciated!

That is a good idea....another time saver is a wok - I made dinner in 15 minutes last night - I cooked beef (thin cut at the store, takes 3 mins to cook), bean sprouts, bok choy, mushrooms, and added some sauce - sesame seed oil or soy sauce or both works well...you can also use chicken, etc and it's super fast and easy - it took me 15 minutes because I made rice on the stove with it - but some rices take more/less time. That way you sneak in veggies and have a balanced meal with a glass of milk. :)

S.,

I freeze almost everything. I actually normally only really cook every 4 to 6 weeks. With Steak or beef (not ground) I recommend that you cook it slightly less than you normally would. For example, I like my steaks med well, so I cook them medium and then freeze em using a vacuum storage system, that way when I reheat them at work or for dinner, they are cooked perfectly. For soups, stews, crock pot cooking a container works well. For spaghetti, steak, chicken pork, etc I use the vacuum storage system.

Good Luck.

S. ~

Good for you! Preparing freezer meals is a wonderful solution to using your time effectively and making meal time with a baby about easy on you. There are many resources to get you started and I always start with the free ones!

The public library: I have found many freezer-meal cookbooks that have been the source of some of my favorite do-ahead recipes. Many have a section on what foods freeze well and which ones do not. Remember to check out the magazine section while you're browsing. This time of year you may find recipes for soups and stews that freeze well.

Your friends: Ask! Most women, especially those who are experienced cooks, usually have a recipe or two that they know works well from freezer to table.

The wonderful internet: Here are some links I have used (personal favorites) as well as recommended to clients:

http://www.recipelink.com/rcpmenus.html

http://food.ivillage.com/quickeasy/dinner/0,,9wqs,00.html

allrecipes.com - love this site! Spend a few minutes here and you'll see why!

http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.aspx?WithTerm=make%2...

http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.aspx?WithTerm=recipe...

And this site has a great guide to getting started on filling your freezer!

http://organizedhome.com/freezer-cooking-guide

With a bit of reading and some practice, I'm sure you'll be on your way to filling your freezer with homemade meals and goodies. And enjoying stress-free mealtime with your family!

Many blessings ~

C. McKenzie
Certified Professional Organizer

I do a lot of weekend cooking, and I have found that most casseroles freeze well unless they contain potatoes - I have never had luck freezing potatoes. I prefer to assemble and freeze the meals before cooking, but I also freeze already cooked meals (for example, when I make goulash or lasagna I make twice the amount and freeze half). A lot of crock pot meals lend themselves well to freezing - I chop everything and put it in a freezer bag, and then throw it in the crock pot after it's thawed - then all I have to do at dinner time is add some bread and a salad.

There are some great freezer meal cookbooks - my favorite is Don't Panic - Dinner's in the Freezer. I also have the Dream Dinners cookbook and just got Fix, Freeze, Feast from the library and it looks like I may be buying a copy for myself. Check out your library - what appeals to one person may not appeal to another, and you can try some of the meals before investing the money to buy the cookbook.

The best tip I learned is how to flash freeze stuff - it really keeps your freezer from getting too full and saves your dishes. The basic idea is to line the dish you will cook the dinner in with foil and then with plastic wrap (enough to overlap to cover the whole meal), and assemble the meal in the dish. You freeze it for a few hours, and then take the meal out of the dish and put it back in the freezer. Then when you take it out to thaw you put it in the refrigerator, take the wrap off after a few hours when it is slightly thawed and place it in the baking dish. It works great for things like casseroles and enchiladas - things that wouldn't look that great if you just froze them in a freezer bag.

lasagna, soups, chili, anything that you see in the frozen section of your grocery store - you too can make at home.

Cake, bread etc. Yes, prepare first then freeze.

I make a pasta sauces and veggies to freeze, so when I need it I just dethaw and then make fresh pasta. Other dishes that are good frozen are quiches. A great website to checkout is allrecipes.com

www.jenniferzaranis.com

I agree about cooking the meal on the weekend and then freezing. Then you can get out a meal the night before you need it. If it is not all the way thawed the next day, you can heat it up in the microwave in individual portions. Beef Stroganoff is one of our favorites, I cook the noodles fresh and add the meat sauce that was frozen. Good luck!

S.,

I find that making ready to microwave meals the best way to freeze food. So, yesterday I made a batch of green curried vegetables with brown jasmine rice. I set out four containers and set some of the rice in each and then piled the curried vegetables on top. I use scotch tape and a permanent marker to label everything I cook and make sure that I date each item. If you think about the kinds of frozen meals that you can get in the grocery store, you can make anything they make. I find that making single servings makes unfreezing easier and less wasteful in the long run. A food saver is a great investment if you want to buy items on sale and then freeze them for later. Again you should label everything so that you know how old it is. Soups are great to freeze. Pesto and homemade pasta sauce freeze well and can be taken out in a jiffy for some great pesto pasta or pizza. Good luck and have fun.

Hi there

i dont know how much you cook but this is what i usually do.

i freeze Spaghti, lesgna, i make my on meat pies/ with pastry but you can buy the pastry and line a pan and just cook up some meat and veg together put in the pie then cook till golden brown take out cool completly and then freeze all you have to add is potato when you serev.
do you know how to make sheperds pie. no crust involved and very easy.

also if i make a roast chicken on the weekend my hubby picks the meat of the bones ( ihate that job) and then i make it in to chicken pot pie

you can also make home made fresh Tomato or carrot soup and freeze that then serve with crackers or garlic bread.

do you have a crock pot.

I have a couple good recipies that you can do first thing in the am and it will be ready for you come dinner. fast enough for you to put together while she is in the high chair for breakfast.

well if you want any actual recipies Just email me at ____@____.com

good thinking and good luck

1 / 3