What Can I Eat with Gestational Diabetes?

I failed my 1 hour glucose test by a little and tried to take the 3 hour test on Sat. only to throw up mid way through. So I am waiting to hear back from my doctor about what they would like me to do, but in the mean time I was tring to eat like if I had it just in case, but am at a lose as what to eat. I am a picky eater, so I am have a hard time thinking of what to eat that doesn't have carbs or sugar in it all the time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thanks everyone. Your advice was very helpful. I go tomarrow to meet with a dietician and see how to test my blood sugar. I have already started eating better and over the last week, I can see a huge difference in my energy level and how I feel. Hopefully it won't be to bad for the next 10 weeks. It's worth it to keep my baby healthy and not to big.

I have a friend that struggles with gestational diabetes as well so I try to cook meals that are okay for her to eat when they come over and some of the ones I have tried come from a free website called www.recipezaar.com - you can sort to look at only diabetic recipes - we made the ribs in the crockpot and they were wonderful - so now that is the only way we cook ribs. Also there was a taco like salad that was on there - it was great as well. Hope that helps. I know my friend eats mostly chicken dishes.

I had gestational diabetes with both of my pregnancies. I actually had to take insulin shots to keep it under control. My advice would be to stay away from anything with a high amount of sugar. Candy, pop, Chinese food with high sugar sauces, ice cream, etc.

Limit pop to one per day if you crave it... I'd stick to Sierra Mist or Sprite... no diet.

Good luck! I hope the test comes out okay. Gest. diabetes is manageable. Mine went away the second the babies were born too.

It's NOT just about the sugar but the KINDS of sugar and where foods are on the glycemic index. You should stick with adequate amounts of protein..fish, nuts, lowfat (NOT fat free-too many chemicals) dairy, etc. THIS helps keep cravings down or non existent!

Get a copy of the GLYCEMIC INDEX REVOLUTION. It will help you understand where food are on the scale and to stay within the low-moderate levels.

EAT PROTEIN and/or FRUIT like berries (low glycemic) at EACH of 5-6 meals daily. Cottage cheese and blueberries, apple and nuts, Fish and a sald, etc. You'll be amazed at how LEVEL you'll keep your blood sugar AND how much better you feel and the energy you have.

I met with a dietician when I had gestational diabetes and it helped soooo much. They even give sample diets of what you can eat and also have "pretend" food for you to practice putting a meal together for yourself. Ask your doctor to refer you to one! You will also find that you gain very little weight with your pregnancy if you stick to the diet. My OB said she always knows when her diabetic patients are lying about sticking to their diet if they are gaining weight. Good luck, you can do it!

I really wouldn't stress out about your eating just yet. A lot of people fail the first test and not the second. I had gestational diabetes with my first child, but not with my second. I did fail the 1 hr test with my second child, but I was fine with the 3hr.

You can watch your carb intake. Also, you can eat a lot of veggies (fruits contain more sugar and should also be eaten in moderation), and also balance your meals with protein. Portion control is also important, expecially with carbs like rice and pasta. Also, if you drink Orange juice, you should only drink a SMALL glass.

If you are diagnosed with diabates, you will more than likely see a specialist who will carefully go over your diet and any other steps you need to take to control it. My diabetes was only diet controled, but I had to test my blood sugar 4 times a day. It's a challenge, but I got through it!

Hopefully you will not have diabetes and the rest of your pregnancy will go smoothly! :-)

You want to eat a balanced meal each time you eat. Balanced meaning, a source of protein (the size of your palm), a serving of a fruit or vegetable-good carbs (avoid bananas, melons, dried fruits) and a good source of fat. You can also eat whole grains. The protein and the fat slow down the digestion which helps keep the blood sugar steady. Don't go more than four hours between meals. If you snack (recommended) make sure you still have that same balance so nuts with a piece of fruit or hummus with some veggies are a great snack.
Avoid White things (flour, rice, potatoes)
I hope that helps!

I had gestational diabetes with both of my babies. It's not fun, but you can do it. If you call your OB they can give you a sample menu. Also you can go to the book store and they have tons of books with things to eat in them. Good Luck!

Hi K., I know I already talked to you about this but I remembered a few more things that I ate when I had it. For dinner I would make fajitas of quesadillas, I just made sure the tortillas were low in carbs. I also used those tortillas to make wraps for lunches. I will keep thinking and try to remember some things. Let me know when you are meeting with the nutritionist. It as bad as it sounds and before you know it baby Sunjay will be here. I can't wait to meet him. :)

I also had Gestational Diabetes, and still have daibetes but it is now controlled with diet and exercise, but while pregnant that didn't work alone. I followed a strict diet and only gained 10 lbs in total. I saw a dietician and that was extremely helpful. You can eat whatever you want, it is all about portion sizes. Here is what I was told...3 main meals, 3 snacks, tried to eat every 2-3 hours. For a main meal you want to eat one protein (a fist size) and 45g og carbs. Don't read how much sugar on the package, only how many carbs per serving size. For your first 2 snacks you want one serving of protein and 15 carbs. Your last snack can be 30 carbs.

I drank iced tea with splenda. Some people don't recommend, but I needed caffeine and don't like tea by itself. For snacks I would have a cup of yogurt or 6 wheat crackers with peanut butter. You can have as much sugar free jello as you want. I actually feel better when I follow this diet and not so tired. Please feel free to contact me with any questions!

1 / 3