What Can I Bring to Thanksgiving Dinner?

My MIL hosts and makes:

turkey
ham
mashed potatoes
sweet potatoes
stuffing
gravy
jello salad
rolls

My BIL bakes pies - and when I say pies, I mean that he usually brings a dozen pies to a dinner with 12 to 15 people. Who could possibly eat that much pie?

What's left? Help, I really want to contribute, but I feel like we're already overloaded with food.

How about this squash casserole. I hear it's great so I'm going to make it this year!
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/squash-casserole-50400000...

Homemade cranberry sauce?

Looks like you're missing veggies! You could do a nice salad, fresh green bean casserole, or roasted brocolli/cauliflower. Something green.

A big container of Crispix Mix
A crockpot and the makings for a good spiced cider (find the recipe for the one with real maple syrup in it...it's TO DIE FOR)
Relish platter (veggies, pickles, olives, jellied cranberry sauce)
A hot dip and crackers (I love Buffalo Chicken Dip with Chiken In a Biskit crackers).

Appetizer or fruit for those that don't want pie!

Veggie platter and dip to munch on before dinner is ready.

Appetizers, Relishes, Drinks (both Adult & Kid friendly)
Offer to do dishes & clean up

Homemade cranberry sauce?

A big container of Crispix Mix

Giblet gravy
asparagus
Home made Ice Cream.

Hope you have a wonderful time.

I like the green beans/fresh veggie votes and the wine/beer votes. And, no, I don't count jello salad as a veg (or even a salad).

Maybe add some Tums/Rolaids/Pepto to your list. With that much pie, you're going to need it.

I would suggest one of the following...
a veggie or salad to balance out all the starch. You could do a basic green salad, a veggie tray, a fruit bowl or the salad I am bringing is greens, dried cranberries, red onion, cherry tomatoes, candied walnuts and gorgonzola served with a balsamic vinegar dressing.

wine or drinks, maybe a warm cider, crock pot hot cocoa or cold sodas

appetizers for while dinner is being prepped

Bring several bottles of nice wines for the dinner, and sparkling cider for the non-drinkers. Perhaps even an after-dinner drink like Brandy.

Also, looking at your list, I see no veggies. Potatoes aren't really veggies. Maybe a yummy salad with cranberries and walnuts? Or a green bean casserole?

a simple salad or some other kind of veggie (but not corn--far too high in carbohydrates to be used as a veggie)

I haven't read the other responses yet, but I would suggest a green salad or a cranberry dish. Here are the recipes I use for both on Thanksgiving:

Cashew & Apple Spinach Salad

Ingredients:
1 package (9 ounces) fresh baby spinach, torn
2 medium tart green apples, chopped
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
1/2 cup chopped cashews

Preparation:
In a large salad bowl, combine the spinach, apples and raisins. In a small bowl, whisk the sugar, vinegar, oil, garlic salt and celery salt. Drizzle over salad and toss to coat. Sprinkle with cashews. Serve immediately. Makes about 6 servings.

Spiced Cranberry Sauce with Zinfandel

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups red Zinfandel
1 cup sugar (I only use 3/4 cup)
1 cup (packed) golden brown sugar (I only use 3/4 cup)
6 whole cloves
6 whole allspice (or almost 1/2 tsp. ground)
2 cinnamon sticks
1 3x1-inch strip orange peel
1 12-ounce bag fresh cranberries

Preparation:
Combine all ingredients except cranberries in medium saucepan. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced to 1 3/4 cups, about 20-25 minutes. Strain syrup into large saucepan. Add cranberries to syrup and cook over medium heat until berries burst, about 6 minutes (usually takes mine longer for the berries to burst). Cool. Transfer sauce to medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate until cold. (Can be made 1 week ahead - I usually make on Tuesday before Thanksgiving so the flavors can meld. Keep refrigerated.)

Sounds like a feast for 50. I usually bring a homemade quiche, pumpkin muffins or bread, and a bottle of wine, or everybody's favorite homemade sangria.

P.

How about a broccoli casserole or another green vegetable. A tossed salad would be a good idea too.

Salad. Just a nice garden salad. Leave the toppings separate so that everyone can pick their own. You can have tomatoes, cucumber, cheese, carrot slices, onion, celery, croutons...etc.

Or how about a nice raw veggie tray with ranch dressing? You can slice anything that would be easy to pick up with your fingers. Assorted peppers, celery, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, broccoli, cauliflower. People love snacking while they are waiting for dinner to be done. It's amazing how if veggies are cut up & a dip is there, how many people will eat the veggies.

There are no veggies?
Google "corn casserole"!
(Sounds gross, tastes yummy!)

Wine?
Good coffee & tea to serve with the (gazillion) PIES?
Relish tray (radishes, pickles, olives,

Wine, veggie or fruit.
One of our must haves is a 7 layer salad.

Fresh cranberry sauce, beverages i.e. soda, wine, cider. How about an appetizer?

What about the stuff for leftover turkey sandwiches?
buns
chips
cheese

snack stuff - veggie tray!
or a green veggie - not much veg in that dinner line up!

How about a green salad or vegetable?

How about some kind of vegi dish like corn casserole or green bean casserole?

I haven't read all the previous replies, but I always bring a NICE bottle or two of fine wine. For the kids Martinelli's sparkling cider. My MIL always discourages me from committing to food, because we travel 400 miles and don't usually have to make anything at the time we arrive. Happy holidays!

fruit salad
a green vegetable like green beans or brussel sprouts
a selection of sauces for the ham like honey mustard

But why not make what your like? There are lots of stuffing and potato recipes. If you are worried about competing why not just ask if they mind and say, I would really like to bring the stuffing this year. Or this year I would like to make a chocolate mousse pie. Making the food is part of the fun for some people, but you should get to make a meal too.

Appetizers or wine get my vote!

A veggie tray for snacking on while waiting for everyone to get there.... definitely something green! If you go the appetizer route then I suggest bacon wrapped dates stuffed with blue cheese. Simply pit the date by slicing it open on one side, stuff with a little bit of cheese and wrap in half a slice of bacon. Secure with a toothpick and bake 375 till bacon is crispy. Reheat well in a warm oven.

Cranberries, roasted brussel sprouts, green beans sauteed with onion and diced bell pepper and/or cocktails and sparkling cider for the little ones.

The menu you list is decidedly lacking in vegetables. I'd add a nice salad and a green bean or broccoli casserole.

Sounds awesome.
Looks like a lot of people spotted the lack of veggies. Here's something you can do before hand so you can have fun instead of fighting for space in the kitchen.

A neatly arranged veggie tray with:
Red/green/yellow bell peppers
Cucumber slices
Broccoli/cauliflower
Daikon or radishes
Snow peas, etc.
Homemade buttermilk ranch arranged in little bowls, add some chopped chipotle to one of them.

How about Deviled Eggs? Most people love them & they're easy to make. I prefer mine w/o Paprika or relish as a lot of people (such as myself) don't like paprika or relish in their deviled eggs. You could also make baked beans. I don't like them for myself but all the other people we've eaten with for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas just love them. You could also make a regular fruit salad using vanilla pudding & the pineapple juice to mix the fruit with. I usually use the normal fruit: bananas, marachino cherries...halves or split them in half...w/o the stem, pecans (if all can eat nuts, if not sure, I'd leave them out), also pineapple & mandarin oranges (depending on the amount you wanna make, we normally use the smaller 'flatter' cans of fruit as opposed to the 15oz size). Save the pineapple juice in a glass or measuring cup & take only HALF of the pudding packet & mix w/the pineapple juice into the fruit to a nice consistancy...not too 'dry' or too soupy. Just add a little bit of juice at a time as sometimes it may be too soupy if you use all the juice.

Hope these suggestions help...good luck!

You need veggies...I suggest two:

Asparagus (with or without Hollandaise Sauce)
Green Beans (regular or casserole but I prefer NOT the casserole that everyone else makes with the crunch stuff and cream of mushroom soup)
Lima Beans
Broccolli
Tossed Salad

Wine and sparkling cider for the kids ;0)

I made homemade eggnog for a birthday gift. I am telling you it went over so well I am making it for Thanksgiving! Everyone loved it. I bought glass mild bottles so to stay really cold. I made the non-alcohol version so the kids could try it. Very yummy!

What's the address and what time should I be there? JK ditto to the wine and sparkling apple or grape juice. Another idea would be to gather a couple of flavored creamers or coffees and cool whip (yes, they have strawberry, chocolate, and french vanilla now) or a nice box of Fanny Mae chocolates which no on can pass up. Or if you want to stick with the actual dinner bring a cheesy broccoli casserole (w/ Ritz crackers - much better than the green bean casserole everyone is so used to).

How about a veggie dish? Like a green bean casserole or something?

Creamed onions! Yum!!!

Black and green olives, pickles, cranberry sauce and whole cranberries, lettuce salad, green bean casserole (with the onions and soup), scalloped corn casserole, frozen fruit salad. There are some good cranberry salads and one with whipped cream. I am listing things only for Thanksgiving and not considering the calories as this is one day I forget those. :-) Or I liked the idea Jess E had about taking things for the leftovers if you will all be there for another meal. Cider is good too.

corn or peas or carrots, whatever type of veggie you like to eat best. Keep it simple. Or a salad. Or a veggie tray to munch on while people are waiting for dinner to start.

One of our traditional Thanksgiving/Christmas salads is a carrot salad....

The one I make is just carrots, crushed pineapple, and raisins....

When I make it, I grate/shred 2 lbs of carrots, add about 1/2 can (20 oz can) of crushed pineapple, maybe more, depending on how it looks, or how juicy you want it. I also add a cup or two of raisins... again, I go by looks.

It is very easy for me to make since I have a shredder attachment on my Oster kitchen center... it whirs through 2 lbs of carrots very quickly.

Very simple, very light, and yummy!