What Can Cause Strong/foul Smelling Urine in a 2 Yr Old?

I just went to change my 2 yr old's diaper and I could smell him from across the room. It smelled so bad that I thought my cat had peed in the living room. His urine smelled normal yesterday and last night, so what could be the cause of this sudden, foul smelling stuff? He is not on any medication. I know that a urinary tract infection can cause urine to smell, but he does not have a fever, he's eating normally, acting normally...I don't know. If it continues, I'll call the pediatrician but has anyone seen this before??? Thanks!

Has he eaten any cruciferous vegetables recently? Could be that. (broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, etc.

A UTI is possible or a strong smelling food. Also the overnight diaper often smells if it is very full and it is warm to hot weather. At least I notice this with my 2 year old.

Make sure he's getting plenty of fluids. If his urine smells and he has a fever, get him in to see the doc immediately.

Also, remember, certain foods cause your urine to smell awful, like asparagus.

Maybe he needs more water!

First and foremost, being dehydrated can cause strong smelling urine. Be sure he's getting enough water.

Second, some foods can cause urine to smell strongly. Broccoli, asparagus, onions, cabbage, etc.

I'd make sure he's getting enough water throughout the day.

Not enough water was my first thought. Asparagus, definitely, but if you can smell it you'd recognize it! Vitamin B can make the pee darker, but I'm not sure about the smell. Have you just started vitamins?

Not enough water can cause urine to have a strong smell. Even if he isn't dehydrated he might not have had enough to drink. Give him some extra water and see if its better tomorrow.

I agree with giving him more water and seeing if that helps.

Still could be a UTI, you don't typically get fevers with them...or maybe it was something he ate, or drank, or if he hasn't drank very much, his urine might just be really concentrated and have a stronger odor. I would still take him to the doctor along with a urine sample if you can collect one and have them test it.

1 / 3