What Can 6 Months Old Eat?

What food I can give her?

You can give her cereal and baby food. Some babies at this age still have their tongue reflex, where they push food out of the mouth instead of to the back of the mouth. And some don't really care for it. My daughter didn't like food until she was about 7 mos. But if you haven't introduced cereal yet, start there. She isn't ready for regular table food yet.

S., just a follow up suggestion to do your own research on rice cereal. While some peds recommend it it's really not necessary and contains lots of carbs which babies already get in your breastmilk. Check out the book "real food for mom and baby"...

You could try the following:
1. Gerber Rice Cereal
2. Gerber Oatmeal Cereal
3. Gerber Barley Cereal
4. Applesauce
5. Squash
6. Sweet potatoes
7. Green beans

Make sure that your daughter's first solid meal is rice cereal (easiest to digest) mixed with breast milk or formula. Thin consistency. Feed her with a soft rubber baby spoon so it's easy on the gums.

Keep your camera out. It'll make a great picture!

rice cereral stage 1 foods. When i asked my doctor about the order in which to introduce foods, he said that it was up to me. Just do it one food at a time for at least 3-5 days before introducting a new food to check for allergies and what not. Do not mix flavors until later, although you can mix fruit with the cereral.
I started with sweet fruits like mashed up bananas, apples, pears, peaches, apricots, and moved on to veggies and combos from there.
If you are interested in making your own baby food, there are several websites and books that are helpful in teaching you how (which is very easy) and ideas on what to introduce when. Hope that this is helpful.

Most pediatricians (mine included) recommend starting with cereals b/c they are bland and soft. You have to make it very watery and don't force it. She may not be ready. If she pushes the food out of her mouth, wait a week and try again. Remember that her primary source of nutrition should still be the formula/breast milk.

After she has been successful for at least two weeks with cereal, you can introduce some veggies. I'm pretty sure that mine recommended the "yellow and orange" first and then the green. He cautioned against doing fruits first b/c then the baby gets used to sweet things and may not eat the others.

Do not attempt anything with texture just yet or meats at this point. Remember to introduce foods very slowly and one at a time. Watch for reactions and always call your pediatrician with concerns, especially rashes and changes in bowel movements.

Hi, there -
Infants @ 6 months of age can start solid foods. Our ped recommends rice cereal first (for 3-5 days). Then, veggies, one at a time, each for 3-5 days. With our 2nd daughter, I did rice cereal for her @ 4 mos., then JUST started her on baby oatmeal 4 days ago. Tried peas for 4 days, did fine (also fine w/ oatmeal). Just this morning, I tried sweet potatoes. Do NOT give your baby juice or water. Infants under 12 mos are ONLY supposed to have breast milk or formula, because their bodies are NOT mature enough to break down juice in their little bodies yet. With my older daughter, I didn't give her any juice until about 13-14 mos., and when I did, I gave her 4 oz. max. That's all they really need.

Hope that helps, good luck!

My son is 5 months next week. The doctor told me to start this week trying with cereal either rice or oat. It will take them sometime to get the feeling of actually eating swallowing the food from a spoon. 2-3 wks after the cereal is going well introduce fruit. Give the same fruit no other type for 3 days to make sure there is not an allergic reaction. After the fruit is going well for 2-3 wks add in veggies.

Hope that helps.

At six months, you should just be introducing baby's first foods (purees) and only introducing one new food every few days, to identify any food allergies. You can start with whole grain baby cereals (not that white rice cereal that used to be baby's first food), vegetables and fruits. Remember that baby's milk is still her primary nutrition, food doesn't give her much nutrition at this stage, so solids are not to replace milk feeds and should be given after a nursing or a bottle.

She is old enough to have fruits, vegetables and cereal. Cereal doesn't have much in the way of vitamins etc, but will help to fill her up so she isn't hungry all the time. And it's easy on the tummy. Just be sure to mix it so it's not lumpy, make it runny. And you might want to mix a little fruit with it for flavor. She will spit most of it out at first. It's not that she doesn't like it so much as she doesn't know how to get it to the back of her mouth to swallow it. Give her time, she will learn. In the meantime, be prepared for messes! haha

1 / 3