What Are Your Christmas Traditions?

I'm curious to know what your Christmas traditions are. I always get my son an Advent Calendar, which is a countdown to Christmas and each day has a paper door you open and get a small piece of chocolate. My son loves those, even at 13! We also each pick out a special ornament. We now have many after several years. And of course we always enjoy putting up our tree and enjoy the lit up tree every day. I'm looking forward to hearing what your traditions are.

My kids are still young, not yet 2 and 3.5, so we are just getting traditions going!

They make a cookie house with their grandparents. We are doing an advent chain link, and the elf on the shelf. We use to host xmas eve, but I am instituting movie family night (so xmas can be about quality time, not mommy cooking!)...Xmas morning we have homemade cinnamon buns (which I make multiple recipes of to give to neighbors and family).

I will also do one of those Santa videos for the kids, and letters to Santa. We might do a breakfast with Santa event, I can't decide. We will make lots of homemade cards and ornaments to give as gifts, and my daughter and I are making special gift bags for her preschool co-op.

We go out the weekend after Thanksgiving (or as soon afterwards as possible) to the same Christmas tree farm to cut down our own tree.

We have our Elf on the Shelf and leave out milk and cookies for Santa (although I suspect "Santa" would rather have a cold beer!).

Each year we have 1 brand new ornament that is designated for that year.

Our Christmas card is always a photo card with a picture of one or more of the kids, or us as a family, with a Christmas or winter theme (shepherds in the church Christmas play, building a snowman, etc.)

DD gets to open 1 present on Christmas Eve - and it's her Christmas pajamas for her to wear that night!

We definitely need to get an advent calender going though.

My cousin's wife told me a cute story from when she was a kid - they would make "magic fruitcake". They would throw a bunch of random food and ingredients into a bowl and mix it all up and then stick it in the oven. Dad would go hide with the kids while Mom "turned the oven on", when really, she took the bowl out and replaced it with an identical bowl that actually had fruit cake in it. And the kids had to hide until it was time to come out or the "magic" would not work!

(Course, now that I am telling the story, it sounds too much like "magic brownies".)

We do Advent calendars. The week before Christmas we read a few verses of scriptures from the Christmas story each night and sing hymns. Attend the Carrollton Community Nativity Display (see www.thecommunitynativity.com). See the Christmas light display in Providence (1400 block of Providence Boulevard off 380). Bake Christmas cookies. Bass Pro Shop Christmas activities. Attend Journey to Bethlehem (see www.thejourneytobethlehem.org). I'm getting excited to just thinking about it all!

Oh I needed this!! Thank you!!

We do the advent calendar too. Every Friday after Thanksgiving my daughter dances in the lighting of the local tree, then we prepare for her big Christmas dance show. After that we have started going to see ICE! in National Harbor - amazing!

Christmas Eve is always Christmas with my family...we do the family gifts and taco's for dinner! Yum! Christmas day is at my house...and we love having everyone over!

I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Christmas!!!

Oh boy ~ we have so many!
Trim the tree and decorate the house the weekend after Thanksgiving
Advent Calendars
Christmas Program at the church
Make/decorate sugar cookies and gingerbread house
Tree of Sharing
Take the little ones to get pics with Santa
The boat cruise on the Lake called "journey to the north pole"
The kids get a new ornament every year that I have their name/year written on and they love finding just the right spot for them on the tree.
Christmas Eve church services
Open 1 present Christmas Eve (usually Christmas jammies from Gma)
Leave out cookies, milk and carrots
Read Twas the Night Before Christmas before bed
Wake up to filled stockings and gifts
Big cinnamon roll breakfast
invite entire family over for hot-cocoa and sledding mid-day (we live out in the boonies and have a lot of sledding hills :)
celebrate my SD's bday with a nice, big cake!

-Countdown Calendar
-Pickle ornament
-Elf on a Shelf
-Decorating tree of course
- Cookies for Santa
-Annual, photo ornaments of the kids (one for each of them) that we put on the tree. I have done this since they were born. And, later when my kids are all grown up I will give them their photo ornaments for their own tree/family. My kids really look forward to their photo ornament every year, and it shows visually how they are growing up and changing.

-Making a Yule Log cake
- Putting up a stocking for everyone, and even for my late Dad.

-- And... before Christmas, purging the old unused or outgrown, toys. With my kids.

- Adopting a family to donate needed items to. Via Salvation Army programs or community programs.

We decorate together the week of Thanksgiving, watch christmas movies together all month long, a new one this year we have an Elf on a Shelf, we make cookies christmas eve, go to my parents house on christmas eve for gifts and lunch/dinner, open christmas jammies on christmas eve, and we always read Twas the Night before Christmas.

We always have an advent calendar too. Of course your regular merriment, putting up the tree and decorating, baking cookies, making gifts and all that. We set up the manger and put one piece in for each day and then the baby at midnight on Christmas Eve. I hand a gold star from the table behind the manger upward on a blue cloth and the closer it gets to Christmas the closer the star gets to the manger - I move it. We have a Advent table wreath next to the manger with four candles around it, one for each week before Christmas and light one each day letting it burn a while and saving it for the next day and so on. As we light it we say a particular poem for it. We practice singing songs because we all sing on Christmas Eve when everybody gets together. We also practice a bit of a play/presentation to put on when we get together. Then on Christmas Eve the children play games like pin the star on the Christmas tree and other things, we sing, everybody brings food, Grandma tells a story of Joseph and Mary. When my kids were children it was a bit different and of course we'd put out cookies for Santa. This is most of it, but said in kind of a nutshell. Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas!

1 / 3