What Are the Honest Pros/cons of Having a Midwife?

I think I've asked more questions in the past few days than I ever have, but here goes. ;)

If I offend anyone with this post I really don't mean to. I don't mean to make anyone feel like I am ripping on midwives but after some soul searching and some heavy research on my part I decided to look into switching from an O.B. to a midwife for my upcoming birth in April. This was a really hard decision for me. I never knocked moms who chose midwives but I ALWAYS thought I would not feel comfortable without a doctor. I would always be afraid the midwife would miss something. My husband is feels this way even more. His philosophy is "If you trust to a doctor for everything else why not for prenatal care too?" We are both well educated and fairly well read on child birth. But, I really want a VBAC this time.
So.....here are my questions.

1. What are the honest pros and cons of having a midwife. The one I am looking at delivers at a good hospital. Do midwives offer
most of the same tests and prenatal precautions that I would have with an O.B.?

2. Can anyone recommend a book, article, video etc. which might give some more insight into the honest pros and/or cons of having a midwife. I want my husband to feel comfortable with this decision and I want to feel like we've really looked at this from both sides because I do believe that there are two sides to the midwife/O.B. decision.

Thanks in advance guys!:)

Wow! Thanks so much for the input guys. Ina your comment really hit home. I think that summed up why I am leaning toward a midwife right now. I have had three O.B.s and I have always felt safe but never really felt like they took much time to look at my individual case history. For example, they have all told me that they are doubtful of my abililty to have a VBAC because my daughter was under 6 lbs and this baby would most likely be bigger. But none of them have actually taken into consideration the actual reason I had a section last time! When I tell them more about my birth they say "Oh.....well I didn't realize that" Hello! It's in my file! LOL!

I think you should watch The Business of Being Born. It was produced by Ricki Lake. Quite good, and controversial!

I went with a midwife and was very happy about it.
A few cons are that your midwife will refer you to the OB she's working with if you need any invasive procedures done, like an amnio or a version.
For Ultrasounds you will be referred to an ultrasound tech, if you midwife doesn't have a machine in her office (mine did).
My midwife offered ALL the tests that are also available through an OB, but instead of just making me have them, we wnet through every single test offered, pros and cons and it was my decision whether to have it or not.

I opted for a drug free birth (my wish), but my midwife would have been comfortable if I had wanted pain meds. Overall she was very respectful of my wishes.

As a matter of fact I still see my midwife for my well woman's care, contraception and any gynecological issues. I will never go back to an OB, unless I develop a condition that she can't treat.

Not all midwives are the same. You need to find a provider you "click" with, someone who is supportive and respectful of your wishes. they should act as a navigator guiding you through your pregnancy and birth, rather than taking over the steering wheel and ordering what they feel most comfortable with. There are OB's out there who provide this kind of care (or so I have heard)... but chances are you are most likely to find it with a midwife.

We used a Doula, at our hospital. She was fabulous and very helpful. I was completely focused on having an epidural-free birth, and I went into the hospital with a written-out birth plan which all the nurses and the doc on duty had. The Doula was there to not only help me, but see to it (along w/ my husband) that my birth wishes came to fruition. They did and all went well until the very end, after the baby had arrived. Some of the placenta did not come out and to spare you the gory details, I'll just say that it had to be manually removed and I lost almost two pints of blood in the process (I passed out, actually). The next day, while still in the hospital, my doc came in and we discussed what happened. His comment, "It's a very GOOD thing you were in the hospital after what happened" has always stuck with me and I completely agreed w/ him.

So, while I loved the Doula experience, I was SO glad that I was in a hospital setting with her!

I had an awesome midwife. She was affiliated with the hospital and yes ALL tests and prenatal precautions were taken. I think people have the preconceived notion of a midwife and this old lady who comes to ones home when you're ready to deliver and whose only knowledge is based on how many births they have done.

Midwives are very well educated and are specialized on just that. The most important thing is choosing someone that shares the same views as you and someone you can see working with. During my pregnancy, I had a little bit of a scare and I was immediately transferred to an O.B doctor. Once it was over though, I went back to my Midwife. So maybe you can look for a hospital that provides both. A Midwife would not continue to take care of you if he/she feels that you are high risk. It was an awesome experience for me and I think you'll love it too. Just make sure you find someone who you can get along with.

Good luck on your birth

With my first son I was able to use a nurse midwife and due to complications--that THEY picked up on--I had to deliver at the hospital, but with my wonderful midwife. They do all the same tests and order the same labs. With my second son I also used nurse midwifes (who deliver at the hospital). They were awesome. I moved in the middle of that pregnancy and had to use a doctor. What a letdown and terrible experience--and this was the doctor I chose after interviewing a bunch of them. She was always so busy--and never really seemed to listen. And the delivery was the worst! She was so busy bullying me and my husband around that she didn't listen that I had to push and wasn't even the room when I pushed my son out. I was lucky to have two unmedicated births, but despite the first being longer and not exactly knowing what I was doing it was 100x less scary because my midwife talked me through it, explained things, and encouraged me. My doctor only seemed concerned with the fetal monitor--and frankly I could tell her when I was having a contraction better than the darn machine!

My friend who is a medical student did OB rotation and said--OBs are trained surgeons and they are good surgeons, but they don't seem to teach them anything about how to help women give birth. Plus if you work with a midwife at a hospital she'll have an OB who does backup and believe me, your midwife will transfer you to their care if she has ANY concerns!

The only difference I ever had with a midwife was that they actually listened to me and cared what I wanted. not that my doctors haven't I've had 2 midwives and 4 doctors for my various pregnancies. But rather than jut say, here's a pill to take, my midwives always had other options for me as well for the various issues, and I had more freedom during labor. They do all the same tests, and check all the same things as any doctor, they just normally take a more natural approach to things, if that is what you want.

And as long as you deliver at a hospital, all the same medical equipment is there and a doctor is on call, and while I'm not offended and wasn't by your other post, I think you need to do a lot more research on midwives in general because your information seems to be very lacking.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I know that choosing a care provider is a big decision, and one that you certainly must be comfortable with. I switched from an OB to a homebirth midwife halfway through my second pregnancy, and was extremely happy with that choice. My husband was deployed during my third pregnancy, and insisted I use a certified nurse midwife. I'm a true homebirther at heart, and thankfully ended up with the beautiful unassisted birth I desperately wanted. However, in my experience the prenatal care from the CNM was exactly the same as I'd received with an OB. Since you seem to be planning a hospital birth, I would certainly expect the same type of care. Homebirth midwives, on the other hand, generally spend more time with their clients. Often, they provide more in-depth information on nutrition and possibly natural remedies. However, their prenatal standards also include: checking weight, bp, fundal height, fetal heart tones, and urine for blood, glucose, etc... One thing some people consider as a possible con is not having a hospital backup. However, that does not seem to be an issue in your case. Otherwise, I cannot think of a downside to midwifery.

It all comes down to what you really want. Obstetricians are trained surgeons who rarely see a natural childbirth. If you think about it, natural birth kind of makes their job obsolete. However, midwives are trained birthing professionals. As someone who has had three homebirths, two of which were unassisted, I recommend really educating yourself on maternity care. Much of it is not evidence-based, but rather for the time and convenience of caregivers. In a hospital setting, some CNMs may get a little too caught up in standard practices. No matter what you choose, a well-written birth plan is a must.

As for information to share with your husband, one important thing to note is that every study has shown homebirth to be as safe or safer than hospital birth. I know you are planning to birth in a hospital, but want to show you some statistics related to midwifery. Ina May Gaskin is probably the nation's premier midwife. Over a 30-year period more than 2,000 babies were safely delivered by her practice at home or in their birthing center. Out of all those mothers and babies only 1.3% transported to the hospital for an emergency, while an additional 3.6% were non-emergency transfers. Only 1.4% of her clients required c-sections. Those are incredible numbers when compared to the national average. You can check out more information about Ina May and midwifery here: http://www.inamay.com/?page_id=28 I also highly recommend reading the book Born in the USA, How A Broken Maternity System Must Be Fixed to Put Women and Children First. It is written by Dr. Marsden Wagner. I promise it will be very eye-opening. http://www.amazon.com/Born-USA-Broken-Maternity-Children/... I wish you all the best!

There are a lot of great answers here! I jsut wanted to add that I had an OB for my first birth. I thought I loved the experience until I had my second birth with a midwife.

A doctor visit would be 10-15 minutes long. He would ask if I had any questions, check fetal heart rate, and say "see you in a month." I always left thinking it was a waste of time. Although the appointments were short, I would spend a ton of time waiting to see the doctor.

With my midwife, visits were 30 minutes long. She would ask if I had any questions, and even if I didn't, the appointment would last 30 minutes because she would talk about new things to expect or options with tests/treatments/etc., she checked the heart rate and encouraged me to write a birth plan (something my ob didnt do). I would leave the visits excited to go back.

It varies amongst providers, but my midwife delivered all of her patients' babies with the exception of being sick or something. If she was going to take a vacation, she wouldn't accept patients who were due to have a baby during that time.

Again, Ina May is a great resource. Good luck and follow your gut. :)

Read Ina May Gaskin's book, Guide to Childbirth. She is a midwife and the book is great. I recommend Dr. Stephen Guy (an OB who works with midwives at Miami Valley Hospital.) With Dr. Guy, you get the best of both worlds.

If you want a VBAC, the only way is to go with midwives or some enlightened OB like Dr. Guy.

1 / 3