What Are Some Good Books to Read to 8 Yr Old Daughter?

Hi Mom's!

I'm looking for some suggestions on books for me to read during story time at night to my 8 yr old daughter. We've just finished Adventures of Huck Finn and one of the Goosebumps book (wasn't scarey, but some of them look kind of scarey). She has just recently became very interested in the "big girl" chapter books being read to her (I can see her mind just making pictures as I read - I love it). Anyway, I would love some good ideas of books that I can read to her at night. She even tells me it is time for bed so we can go see what happens next :o).

A.

Wow! Thank you so much! You are a wonderful group of Mom's! I am making a list of all the suggestions and already have a couple on hold at the library :o). Your suggestions reminded me that I have a box set of Samantha American Girl books (passed down through family) that we started reading yesterday...my daughter's name is Samantha and she is anxiously waiting for her Samantha Doll too - now we can get to know her before her doll arrives :o)). All your suggestions were great and I can't wait to read them. I really enjoy the stories and I love making the different voices for the characters. I too hope this tradition keeps going for a long time. I also wanted to thank you for all your encouraging words...it is so nice to hear someone say "way to go", "good job Mom"....I love it! Being a Mom is wonderful, but we all need a little encouragement once and a while. THANKS!!!! You all made my day!

Blessings to all,
A.

My daughters loved the Anne of Green Gables series, and after the movies came out, they said they like the books better!!!

My daughter loves all of the Series of Unfortunate Events books. There are actually 13 of them. She really enjoyed them. Hope this helps.

Right now we're reading "Heidi" which is really good. Some of the books that I would suggest are: Pollyanna, Jill's Red Bag, Little House on the Prairie series, The Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew, The Phantom Tollbooth, and Chronicles of Narnia.

Three other books I didn't see mentioned yet are by E.B. White-Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, Trumpet of the Swan. Also, Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo. There is a series of books The Magic Treehouse that lots of kids checked out of my library when I was still a school librarian and also the A to Z Mysteries. You might also want to go to the Texas Library Association website http://www.txla.org and look at the 2x2 Booklist and the Bluebonnet list. The 2x2 list is geared for ages 2yrs to 2nd grade (therefore they are picture books, but really great ones) and the Bluebonnet list is a program that students in grades 3-6 participate in during the school year. However, you could always read the books to her. Some are obviously for the 6th grade crowd. But, it was always my experience that most were 3rd/4th grade appropriate. You can also look at past lists and winners. A summary for each book is provided. It is great that she is so excited "to see what happens next!" GREAT JOB MOM!!!

Since you are doing the reading (which I think is wonderful, reading to them gives you something common to talk about and it really boosts their desire to read) then I would not read books that are on her level. Let her read the Boxcar series to you!! But you read things to her that are harder than she can read herself.

Start looking at the Newberry books. Some of the older ones are fantastic. (Sorry, not so impressed with some in the last ten years.) She will love stories like Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (nothing like the movie and quite good), A Single Shard, Hatchet, Where the Redfern Grows, Island of the Blue Dolphins,Courage of Sarah Noble, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, The Hobbit, The Harry Potters Series. All of these are books I or my husband read to our 7 and 8 year old children this year. Oh, our book club did Roll of Thunder Hear my Cry. This is fantastic to read with your kids and discuss.

Because you are doing the reading, it is a whole different ball game. The discussions you will have reading "older" books is fantastic. You are doing such a great thing...letting her see you read is one of the best things you can do. And then you can start the tradition of her reading to you...when you are driving, working on a project, etc. My mom did this and I read to her for years...she read to me in the evenings and I read to her during the day when she was doing things. I really treasure those memories.

VickiS

I see you already have lots of advice, and I can't read them all, but in case no one has already said this, there is a book called the Read Aloud Hand-book by Jim Trelease. It is filled with a list of different books to read to different ages of kids. We really have enjoyed it! Good luck and way to go for reading to your kids:)

http://amblesideonline.org/index2.shtml
This is Charlotte Mason's online curriculum reading lists. I highly recommend them as they are rich literary works full of moral lessons and vivid imagery that allow your child's mind to grow. Lots of classics and some newer books. I am not sure what grade level your child reads at so I sent you the link to the main index but you can pull up the list by grade (2 or 3?) Hope this helps. -J.

Some really oldies but goodies--The "Little House" Books--Laura Ingalls Wilder--there are 7 or 8. Also, the "Anne of Green Gables" series or Pippi Longstocking--all great adventure stories showing strong girl stuff etc.

Hi A., my daughter loved the little house on the prairie books. She also liked all of the junie b jones books.

Books by Lois Lenski are great for this age. The "Little House on the Prairie" books are a really good suggestion, plus you can get videos from the library or from Netflix that have some of these stories, which can be a fun accompaniment for the books.
My youngest daughter enjoyed a book called "Catwings" which had some beautiful drawings. We also loved reading the Grimm's fairy tales over and over.
Happy reading!
B. G. (mother of 8, grandmother of 4)

A great series in The Box Car Children. I'm not sure the author but my kids loved them. Lots of mystery and adventure.

1 / 3