What Are My Exercise Limitations During Pregnancy?

Hi. I recently started working out again (after a hiatus of having kids and just too busy) and more recently found out I am pregnant with number 3. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of exercises I can continue, should avoid, etc. My BMI is within range (although the high end) and my fit/stress test is within range. Prior to my hiatus I ran, strength trained, and took classes. And until I found out about #3, I was hoping to drop some inches in my waist(fat chance now) and legs. Also, I'm not a big yoga fan. I would like to continue working out for health, so I am in good shape for labor, and also for a little "me" time. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks -A.

I know you probably feel a little disappointed that you were trying to get into shape when you found out you were pregnant again (been there), but of course eveything happens for a reason. You are going to have to tweek your goal slightly, you don't have to give up on it completely! Take this time to get yourself into a routine for working out and maintain the weight that you will gain during your pregnancy. As other moms mentioned, eating healthy is key to avoiding un-necessary weight gain, avoiding cravings and having a healthy baby.

I would also highly recommend swimming or water aerobics, it is a great body toner, and also slims your body without being as harsh on your body as aerobics. Heavy breasts and jumping around do not lead to a pretty after photo ;>

Most of all make sure you maintain this time you had carved out for yourself for your mental/emotional health. I would suggest meditation if it appeals to you or at least journal writing, quiet reflection time or whatever helps you feel calm!
(except a tall one on the rocks;>)

Besides listening to your doctor, be sure to listen to your body and always stop when you feel overtired, dizzy, etc/

Best of luck to you!
A.

i can tell you what my doctor told me: if you've done it before, you can safely continue doing it. if you haven't done it before, now is most definitely not the time to start.

i would talk to your doctor. I was told low impact to tone is fine but absolutely no loosing weight, nothing stenuous, and no high impact(aerobics - step, etc).

My doctor said yoga was great. Just speak with the instructor and let them know how far along you are pregnant so they can let you know which moves you should not do. (like the headstand) There are also great Yoga for pregnancy videos that give you different exercises for your trimesters. I found that I still had to take a lot of breaks which of course is okay.

It all depends on how in shape you are now. If a marathon runner gets preggers she's still gonna put in a few miles a day if she likes, just not 20!! In my case, I was in good shape before getting pregnant with my third (Im four months along now) and I walk regularily, swim and do pilates. I also am a part of VFL.com were I can enter my goal wieght, excersice, fat intake etc and it keeps track of everything to help me not balloon up with this pregnancy!! My doctor always told me that as long as Im excersizing and able to carry on a conversation at the same time, Im not pushing too hard. Hope this helps!

The standard response is that anything you were doing when you got pregnant is safe to do when you ARE pregnant. Just don't increase intensity. At the minimum, do 15 min of some type of exercise (even if it's just walking) a day. This alone will help make your delivery smoother.

S. Mills (Dona birth doula)
Touched By An Angel
Childbirth Services, Inc

I would say, first off, that you should contact your OBGYN and ask as this board is not full of professionals and I would hate for you to take someone's advice (however well=meaning) and cause harm to yourself or your unborn child.

I have heard, though, that any exercise you are not already doing pre-pregnancy is not a good idea to do while pregnant. That while pregnant is NOT the time to try to lose weight. Things like losing inches and all are concerning for a pregnant woman and that is why I suggest you contact your own OBGYN to get the professional answers. :-)

I teach pre-natal yoga and taught during my entire 3rd pregnancy. I could go through with you what you could do.

You could visit my website at www.yogawithlisa.com.

I just needed a couple of more mom's to being a weekly class.

A., I concur with doing yoga designed for pregnant women. My favorite childbirth book is Active Birth by Jane Balaskas. There is a rather extensive section on yoga and yoga exercises, one whole chapter. Your goal right now should not be to lose weight. Yoga can help you get fit and ready for delivery. I do not recommend diet restriction. Rather, ensure that you're getting the right kinds of foods. When you get cravings for junk, you can try some yoga exercises to get you through the cravings. Reality is that sometimes, we will eat junk and there is nothing wrong with that, as long as it isn't done to excess. And, most important, talk to your doctor/midwife about any exercise or diet plan before starting. Educate yourself. Find a good natural childbirth class and read, read, read! Even if you've already done these things, do them again to refresh your memory.

1 / 3