What Age to You Put Your Toddler in a Toddler Bed?

Hi moms! I have a question for you. I was wondering at what age do you put your toddler in a toddler bed. My daughter is 17 months. Shes climbing on everything! From getting on top of the coffee tables, couches, and even the computer table! Id like to move her before she figures how to get out of her crib. Ive seen her already trying. I just dont know if shes too young yet. But I dont want to wait and then chance her falling on her head. What should I do? Thanks for your help!

First I want to thank all the moms who responded to my question. You were all so helpful in helping me decide when the right time is to put my daughter in a toddler bed. My husband and I have decided to wait a couple of months and do it when shes around 19 months. In the mean time we are going to put some pillows and blankets on the floor near her crib just in case. Thank you all so much! xoxoxox

I just recommend when it becomes a safety issue. I had one child out after 2 and a half and another before 2 years of age

My daughter started a toddler bed at 13 months. We had a cushion on the ground in case she rolled out, but she stopped doing that after a month or two, and she wouldn't wake up after she rolled out!

Hi. I have 3 children, ages 5, 3, and 14 months. I put the older two in twin beds (with a side railing) between 18-21 months. We started with naps and eventually moved to bedtime. I completely child-proofed their room and took out all the toys, etc at first. With my second, I also had to put a baby gate in front of her door for the first few months as she tried to wander the house in the middle of the night :)

My son figured out how to climb out of his crib around the same age. I bought a crib tent, and he totally loves it. He won't sleep unless I zip him in. He just turned three and still sleeps in his crib, as I am holding a "big boy bed" as bait for potty training! :-) Good luck!

I wouldn't move her until she really climbs out. I've never heard of anyone really hurting themselves by climbing out, but to be safer you could put a bunch of pillows on the floor to cushion her fall. My first child we moved on to a mattress on the floor when she was 7 months old because she started climbing out. That's a scary sight.. a little 7 month old climbing out of the crib. My second we moved right to a big girl bed when she was 15 months old because we needed the crib for the next child. In hindsight I wish we would have purchased another crib. Although she was a climber, i don't think she ever would have climbed out of the crib. My third is still in a crib at 22 months - she has put her foot up but that's as far as she's gotten. And she climbs all over the place. We have a bunch of pillows on the floor just in case.
There's just way too much hidden danger in a room when they are so young and running around and not confined to the crib that my motto now is to keep them in there for as long as possible. You'd be surprised what they can get into! My first used to open dresser drawers and take all the clothes out...she pulled out a few of the drawers all the way and dropped them on her toes. She also would open the drawers and use them as stairs to climb up to the top of the dresser so she could reach something that was supposedly out of her reach. There's a lot less danger with them in the crib and the danger of them falling can be somewhat controlled with pillows/mattress/bean bag chairs etc. on the floor. I understand the wanting to move them before they have a chance to get hurt, but you never know, you could get lucky and have a child that never graduates to climbing out.

Our doctor told us that if they can't climb out - leave them in. It doesn't hurt. We took her advice and had our first son in until he was 2.5 years old. But, at 3.5 years old now, I STILL don't think he would climb out. He's not a climber at all.

Our second son, on the other hand, is 17M and climbs on EVERYTHING. Sounds just like your daughter. The crib we have for him would be incredibly hard for him to get out of, but I've seen him try to lift his leg up. I don't think he can do it yet. I just watch him (he loves to play in there) and if I see him getting close to being able to, I'll switch it to the toddler bed.

The longer the better, though because if he can get out of bed at will, I'd be afraid for his safety. His room is toddler proofed and all the furniture is attached to the wall, but it wouldn't stop him from trying his acrobats while the rest of the house is sleeping. Lol.

Good luck to you.

I know you got tons of responses, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

We moved our son into a twin size bed at 25 months...not for any particular reason other than he seemed to be too big for the crib. We had a bed rail up and he fell out a couple of times, even with the bed rail, but kids are resilient. We got a better bed rail and put pillows on the floor in case it happened again, but it didn't.

We went cold turkey. Took out the crib and put up the new bed in the same afternoon. He watched us and was excited about getting a new bed. We never had toys in his room...just books. Now he's 4 and knows that he can't leave his room until 7:00 (and he usually gets up around 6:15-6:30), so he sits in his bed and reads books until it's time.

If he was climbing out of the crib, we would've done it sooner, but age 2 seemed a good age to do it for us.

I would do it now. She sounds like my daughter who loves to do the same things. She climbed out of her crib just after she turned 2 years old (a couple months ago) and luckily she wasn't hurt, though it did shake her up and she cried.

She always liked to climb everywhere else in the house, except out of her crib. We think she liked playing in her crib and considered it her "fun little haven" :-).

Well, all that changed one night at her grandparents and she decided to climb out of her pack and play. No previous signs! Then she tried it again the very night she came home and I heard her slam to the carpet in her room. It literally happened over night! We should have put her in a toddler or twin bed sooner. Now she loves her toddler bed and plays in it like she did the crib.

Hi! I just put my daugther in a twin size bed on Sunday. She has always been a climber as well and hadn't climbed out of her crib yet. I wasn't going to go cold turkey with her not sleeping in her crib, but in the end it was what I decided to do. She did try after the 3rd night to go in her old room (which I closed the door), but told her no you need to sleep in your new room with your big girl bed. We had to put her in a big girl bed and new room because I am due with #2 in April, and figured that would just be the easiest. She has been doing great so far. She cried a little on her first night, but has been fine with naps. She did get out once yesterday when I put her down for her nap and I just picked her up and told her it is time for a nap. She stayed and slept for almost 3 hours. I could be lucky I don't know. My child does love her slept though, lol. Kinda like her Mom.

we moved our son into an adult bed at 20 months. Just child-proofed his room and put a gate up. Worked great.

1 / 3