What Age to Start Taking Toddler to Movies

My daughter is 2 1/2 and I'm wondering if that is too early to take her to the movie theater. I'm not sure if she would be interested enough to sit through the whole movie. At home she sometimes can sit through a whole movie if you sit there and watch it with her. I would love to take her to the movie for a mommy/daughter day, but I want to make sure it's not unheard of to take a 2 year old. Also, do they have little booster seats that kids can sit on in the movie theater? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I started taking my daughter to movies, plays, concerts, etc with me at 6 months. Just sit near the end of the row so that if she gets antsy, you can take her out without having to climb over other people in the dark.

My daughter is 2 1/2 yrs old too. I just started taking her to movies. She still doesn't sit through the whole thing, but she is good. She likes to stand up and watch through the seats. We get candy or popcorn and a drink so that she has something to do. Then we find a seat near a wall so she can walk around if she gets antsy without bothering anyone or having to leave the movie. Some movies she falls asleep, but usually she is captivated with the big screen and all the noise. It is exciting for her.

A little about me: I am a stay at home Mom of 3 wonderful children, ages 2 1/2, 9, and 10 yrs old. I am married to my high school sweetheart and very much in love.

We took our son for his third birthday and he did well until the popcorn ran out! Just be prepared to exit early if your child loses interest, I guess. Our theater does have boosters! Have fun!!!

I'd look around your area and see if anyone offers Free Summer Movies for kids (all the local theatres near here do). They are during the week so there aren't many older kids.
Plus it's FREE so if you've got a child unwilling to stay through the movie at least you aren't out anything. I'd not buy concessions for the first movie unless it's popcorn-(I'd take in a bottle of water for your little girl with a TOP). If you DO have to leave not having to gather up all the cups of stuff will be easier.
My 3 yr old is fearless in some ways but doesn't like dark or loud noises-so I tried to tell her what the theatre is like (when we go in it will look like...., then we sit and they turn down the lights so we can see the screen better-that sort of thing). She does much better when prepared in a new situation.
I agree with the advice you got from someone suggesting you watch a movie at home and see if she will sit through it first b/f venturing out, especially if you don't have a "free" option available.
:-) Good Luck

If she'll partially, almost all the way watch a movie at home with u then I say go for it! The noise is so loud and the picture is so huge... My little girl was just captivated! Just remember go tee before movie and don't forget some popcorn and coke. That's the best treat ever during a movie. Lol.
Also if your chld gets cranky when tired I'd go after the nap! She'll stay up the whole movie and shouldn't get loud. Jut make sure it's a kid movie. Of course! Have fun! Get her all excited about going boost the experience up as "so cool" it's a huge movie and just tell her all about it like it's the most awesome thing ever! So she'll be so excited about going!

Hey J.!
My son was 20 months when we first took him to the movies. With the big screen and the loud noise it kept him into the movie. Towards the end he started getting antsy and he ended up falling asleep at the last 20 minutes of the movie. All in all it was a pretty good experience and he really liked it-the part that he stayed awake for. Now my son is very active and he made it through the majority of the show. I think your daughter is old enough and would probably enjoy the big screen. We didn't use a booster seat he just sat on our laps. You may want to warn her ahead of time of how loud it is because he was a little surprised at first when the show started playing. Hope it goes well if you decide to take her. Good luck!

I think it depends a lot on the child. I based my decision on how my children do at home. My daughter is a big movie watcher and would go sit through a 4 hour movie if I let her and she has been that way since she was about 2. My son on the other hand is 3 1/2 and he still can't make it 30 minutes at home. We have taken him to 2 movies at the theater but he has trouble making it to the end. He wants to get up and walk around and talk. The second movie we went to was at Warren in Moore and the seats rock so I actually rocked him to sleep about half way into it which is the only way he made it. I would suggest trying a cheap theater first so that if you have to leave it doesn't cost you a lot. We did that the first time with both of our children and it worked well. The first movie we were the only people in the theater so my son talking and walking in the row where we were sitting was not a problem. I probably won't try taking him again until he is a little older. Hope this helps!

I work as a nanny and my best advise from over 30 children which includes my own is to wait until 3 or 3 1/2. I have only had one exception to the rule and he will watch tv or stay in front of a computer for 6 or 7 hours and his mother will let him unlike me when I am with him. I recently took two of the 4 year girls (cousins) for a day out with just me and one did fine and the other wanted to leave after 25 minutes and would not be quiet (we were the only ones in the movie thank goodness).

Where I live we have the summer movie series for children every Wednesday and it is either free or cost $1.00 and it is full of children so you might check into that since the adults who attend know that the movies is full of children so they what they can expect.

Try the dollar movies first or choose a movie that you will be okay with leaving if she gets too restless. If you choose a children's movie, there will be lots of other young kids and no one will give you the "evil eye" if she's a little restless.

1 / 3