What Age for a Child's 1St Movie?

What is the right age for a cartoon type movie?

I depends on the child and on the movie. I like to review all the content of the movie we are considering at www.pluggedinonline.com

My 2 and 1/2 year old sat through most (all but 20 min) of Happy Feet (To be honest, I was done about 20 min from the end too!) and all of Charlotte's Web.

If there is an appropriate movie at the dollar theater I would go there for the first couple of times and see how the child does (that way if you have to leave you aren't out just a ton of money).
Each child is way different.
I used movies at home as a guage- if they lost interest quickly, I waited on the theater.

My son was 3 and saw Monsters Inc. and daughter was 2 1/2 and saw Shark Tale, they both did fine, a little fidgety towards the endings but overall a good first time experience!

Depends on the kid. My oldest sat straight through Fantasia 2000 when it came out. She was only 1 at the time & completely fascinated. Both of mine have always been good in (most)movies. However, I have friends w/ really active kiddos that just couldn't ever get them to sit still & be quiet, etc. So, they were more like pre-K/ K age before trying the theater.

I think it depends on the child. Try out some dvds at home first to see if they will sit still for a 1 -1 1/2 hr movie. Second start with a movie that they have some interest in already, so it's more likely that it will hold thier attention. I think my daughter was about 2 -2 1/2 when we took her the first time. I chose The Heffalump Movie as her first experience b/c she already loved Pooh and she had a Heffalump book, so she knew the character & was somewhat aware of the story line. She did great! She sat still the entire time and when we questioned her afterwards, she knew exactly what the movie was about. GL!

My daughter was 2 when we took her and my then 4 1/2 year old to see Finding Nemo. I was amazed that my daughter sat through the entire movie and never once looked away from the screen. My son was 3 when we took him to see 101 Dalmations. He got board and played on the floor. He never bothered anyone else though. I guess it just depends on the child and the movie.

Have a great time.

My youngest was 2 yrs old when she was Robots & loved it.
My daughters are 3 & 5 & love going to the theater. I just take a bag of different snacks & water bottles (*shhh* don't tell anyone). Sometimes it works best if you go with a friend if you have to take one to the bathroom then we're all not missing the movie.

I took my son to the Summer Movie Club at Cinemark last year to see Madagascar. He was not yet 2, and he did great. He got a little fidgety, but just sat in my lap. I got a little booster for him, and the popcorn/coke helped too!

1 / 3