What Age Do You Use a Family Doctor Rather Then a Pediatrician

hi everyone has been so long since ive even been on here for all of you that remember my post about my hubby having a accident at work like 6 months ago he is finally home from the brain rehab center and things are going well so thanx to all whove prayed with us.it was a long road but we made it through. but anyways at what age do you stop using a pedatrician for your child i love my pediatrician but theres got to be a point where you switch to a family doctor what is that point?????;)

thanks everyone that helps

Eighteen. Remember that pediatricians have specialty training in kids issues, diseases, etc. A general practitioner is probably fine for general ailments, but pediatricians are specialized to issue spot in babies through adolescents to older teens - I personally would feel better taking my child to someone who only sees kids.

I never used a pediatrician for my daughter. Well, I did go to the ped. the hospital recommended. It was NOT a good visit. But that was just this guy. So ever since I've been taking my daughter to my general practitioner. It's worked great for us.

I remember your husband's story, I'm glad he's doing better! The pediatrician can see them until they turn 18.

When they become an adult or ask......

my 15 yr old still sees a pedi...and when in hospitals they have all children under the age of 18 in the pedi unit for their protection (its a locked unit)if your child becomes uncomfortable then seek out a family dr....
I just wish there was a teenage specility .....a tweenie Dr.....

I'm happy to hear about your husband! Many more prayers for a speedy recovery and a life full of love & happiness to you two & your family!

I currently use a family physician instead of a pediatrician. I like that she has all of our family history right there (even my sister and her family see this doctor).

It also helps that I have a lot of faith in her as a physician because my sister used to work for her (sister is a Medical Assistant). They worked wonderfully together, and I value her opinion.

Pediatrians will see your child tell they are 18. It may seem odd to your child to have you say at the age of 17 we are going to the pedeatrician,but they will see them.
About hubby, I am a newcomer here and did not know about your story, I am sorry it happened and am equal happy to hear good news

A., I'm so glad your husband is doing better! I remember hearing your story & it made me cry!
But yes - what everyone has already said, 18 until the general practicioner..

I have used a family doctor from the day both my boys were born. I have only had one instance where he has felt he needs to refer me to a pediatrician and that was when my son suffered from a rare childhood immunity disorder (1 in 100,000 kids get it). He referred me to a pediatrician that specialized in Renal issues because this disorder could cause renal problems. Apart from that he has been wonderful and able to answer all questions I have had about my boys, and I like that we all see the same doctor, I have got to know him better and so have my kids. So really it's your choice, there are no rules about it, do what you feel comfortable with. If you're happy with who they see now then keep going until they're adults.

1 / 3