What Age Do You Stop Giving Gifts to Nieces and Nephews?

My family has a tradition of giving gifts (birthday and Christmas) to the 7 grandchildren. Several of the kids are getting older. What age do you stop giving to your nieces and nephews?

I don't think there's an age. I think that if kids send thank yous you should keep "thinking of them". Now if that means a present to you, fine. If it means a card with cash or just a card.

I think especially as kids get older, cash or gift cards are most appreciated.

As far as Christmas goes, have you considered asking the family if they are "game" for a Secret Santa?

There are 16 kids (and growing) on my husbands side alone. Some have bday parties and some don't. I only give to the kids who have a party. I know this sounds mean. I wish i could give to all, but i can't :(

My parents have 5 kids and 10 grandkids. For birthdays, we buy gifts, but for Christmas, we draw names. You draw one name for how many kids you have. So, I have 2 kids, so I pull 2 names, my little brother has no kids, so he buys for all of them and my sister has 4 kids, so she pulls 4 names. It works out well and saves a TON of money!

In our family adults (neices and nephews) stop getting gifts once they have kids. Then the gifts go to their kids.

Really depends on the closeness of your family I would think.
Reducing the amount is a great way. If they are long lost family members
you hardly spend time with......I think there is an appropiate age to stop. I guess 10 would be the last . My uncle and aunt bought for me long distance til about 10. They just did not know me anymore and a card was enough. I tried to send as many years as I could to long distance family, but they never gave back, so I quit. I just think it depends on the family and how active you are in their lives...

we only have 6 on my side and two on my hubby's...we only give at christmas to his and b-days and christmas on mine...I figure when they are 18 or out of college will be a good time for b-days but I will give on Christmas for as long as I can, even if it's just a token like an ornament or photo frame etc...

Well, in MY family, once they are 18 (or in 2 cases, when they've had a baby of their own before age 18). In my husbands family, ALL of the kids get gifts for EVERY child's birthday! Insane! My (husband's) nephew (age 17), and our neice (age 14) both a gift from my MIL on all of my kids' (ages 9, 6, 2 & 8 months) birthdays, and vice versa! My husband and I have stopped buying them birthday gifts and usually give them a card with a gift card or cash. We still get them Christmas gifts, but usually we'll ask them for something specific that they'd like to have because we know that they have their own interests and styles and would rather spend our money on something that they are going to enjoy and use over something that will get tossed.

when our family got too big (22 grandchildren, 14 greats, 2 great greats. lol) we started doing a draw... on thanksgiving we would write everyone's name on a slip of paper and everyone would draw for someone else. We also put a $$ limit on what could be spent. These were the "family party" gifts. If we wanted to get something for someone we didn't draw, that was our business but we had to do it on our own instead of at the party. As for birthdays, my family stopped giving gifts when the person stopped going to school. If they went to college, they still got some. lol. great incentive! :P

We have a healthy sized family and we do christmas gifts and special occasion gifts like graduation etc. We just call and maybe give a card on the bday. The immediate fam, like mom and dad, do the gifts. Like someone else said, if there is a party then we take a gift, but usually we just do christmas, graduation, showers...stuff like that. I always do a gift to my mom for all occasions bc she is single and I am the only living child she has, but my hubby has four sisters and this is how they have always done things. Keeps things simple and everyone is cool about it, I have never gotten anything from them for a bday and it has never bothered me. :)

1 / 3