What Age Can Kids Dress Themselves?

I have a son who will be 3 in July..he does pretty well undressing himself, and we are working with him to get dressed also...but he just gets frustrated. I don't think it is because he can't do it...but he won't try. My bf seems to think that he should be able to dress and undress himself by now...is that right? or should he still need help?

Okay...so I normally just help in the morning and don't push much of anything because I just want to get out the door in a timely manner. I guess it's just easier for me to help. My bf might as well be my son's dad because he's known him since my son was 9 months old and my son's bio dad isn't in his life to speak of. My bf is more of an "in the long run" kind of person I think...by that I mean that the sooner James dresses himself by himself, the sooner we don't have to help. It doesn't always bother me, but I guess I feel like my bf is trying to push it. I don't really care. I wish my son could dress himself, but if not...for me i'd just rather do it and get it over with. I just wasn't sure if I should be expecting more than I am, or if my bf is right and my son should be able to do it by himself right now. My son isn't real big on talking or asking for things, so we make him ask for help instead of just giving it to him for most things, dressing included. I just don't have time to do that in the morning so it's hard to remain consistent. Thanks for all the help!

I have a 3 years old daughter and she still needs help getting dressed. She can put pants on but she still can't get tops on without some help. Its ok if he still needs help, so don't worry about it.

I have 3 kids and i think it was around 3 or 4 when they started dressing themselves .My youngest...5 years still likes me to help him sometimes with his PJs.He'll get there.

When my now 9 year old boy started dressing himself, we had the same problem. He could get dressed but didn't want to. Do you pick out his clothes or does he? I started giving him a choice in what he wanted to wear. 2 pants, 2 shirts etc. For him it made a difference. I was surprised just how well he wanted to dress for only being 3 1/2. He made some nice choices. All kids want to be their own little person. Who cares what they end up in. Let him be him. Clothing doesn't always make the man.

I've got a 2.5 y/o and a 3.5 y/o and they can both get undressed with no problems at all, but my son is the only one who can get dressed. He still has major problems with the shirt, but he can get socks, underwear and pants on all by himself, and usually his jacket, but he has probelms with over the head shirts. My daughter has no intrest in it yet. I pretty much let my son start when he was intrested in doing it. It's like any other issue...if you push it, it won't happen, and I'm pretty sure there aren't any "normal" adults who can't dress themselves, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. ;)

My son is 3 and he will dress himself...on a good day. Usually he wants help though, even though he can do it himself. I guess its just the age-they want to be independent and yet still get "babied" sometimes! :-)

I have a daughter who will be four in september and she is just able to put shoes, socks, underwear and pants on. This is a recent development and she still can't put her shirt on. She was an early walker, talker and can ride a trike better than most of her friends but dressing can be very difficult for some kids. Our pediatrician has a chart that says "most" kids learn this skill at 3.5 years of age. Some are earlier and some are later. I completely understand your frustration and definitely had days where I was sure she could do it and just wasn't trying. Then we backed off a little and it happened on its own, when she was developmentally ready. Hang in there, they do grow up eventually!

I have a 3 kids ages 5, 2.5, and 9 months. My oldest could dress herself pretty early. My second still has a hard time and gets really frustrated when it doesn't go her way. Mine older two are girls and girls tend to do things earlier. I think every kid is different. Some of it is where they are physically but a big part is emotionally and mental too. I suggest you keep working with him the way you are without pushing. At that age they don't quite know how to deal with their emotions and it sounds like he doesn't want to learn because it frustrates him. Don't worry about him learning it by a certain age. He'll get it in time.

my son will be three in september. He takes off his pants and shoes but not shirt, and struggles with socks. Developement is so individualized in children that its hard to compair him to any one else. I dont expect him to be getting dressed until 4 maybe 5, at least without help. I really dont mind because its nice to be needed and called upon for help as they already grow too fast as it is. Also, Matthew is busy focusing on other areas of growth and isnt interested in this one. Also, I watch opb with him and the children dressing on there and struggling are all around 5 years. Dont know if that helps. Jen

1 / 3