Weird Stomach Virus

Anyone ever have a child to have stomach virus symptoms overnight, vomitting and upset stomach, and then the next day be almost 100%.... only to find that the next night the symptoms return??? It's so strange to us!! I have talked to 3 friends, and 2 out of 3 have had this happen to their little ones too... I guess I am looking for reassurance....

yup, just last week and the week before BOTH of my boys had this bug... symptoms showing up around dinnertime, but they were playing with no fever all day... it's weird, right??!! not fun, either :)

Yes, my son did that a few months back. Vomitted overnight then nothing that next day and then the day after .....just when I thought it was safe more vomitting!

Hi~
Have 4 grown kids. Oldest one (girl, now with 3 little ones of her own) NEVER spit up or vomited until she was about 8 or 9 (rides at the county fair did it! LOL). One boy would be sick throwing up, be fine a day or more only to wake up throwing up all over himself in the bed a few nights afterward. Whatever sickness he had (headache, sore throat, cold, virus, etc) when we'd ask him how he felt, all he'd EVER say was, "Oh, I'm better now". Made it hard to tell if and when he didn't feel well! LOL I think that's just how it affects some kids, though -- viruses hit them in spurts. Probalby God's way of keeping them from getting too dehydrated LOL (and teaching mamas about patience! *GROAN*)

Sarah, sorry to say my crew has not had this, now that I say that, they'll go back to school and pick it up! I know it sounds crazy and as a nurse I usually don't turn to "old wives tales," but there have been occasions that I've been desperate and tried them...one being from my dad-in-law, have them drink pickle juice. Most kids like the flavor, mine don't but they'll eat the pickles which helps just slower. The vinegar kills the bugs or at least flushes them from the system. DON"T give them vinegar! My husband did that to me since we were out of pickles...bad decision, it burns badly! lol, tells my ignorance,huh! Anyway, you can also try acidophelus (sp), it's an over the counter bacteria that occurs naturally in your GI system. Helps to increase this "good" bacteria and flush out the bad. It comes in blueberry flavor so kids like it, and chewable. Again, if you are at all concerned with homeopathic or alternative treatments, certainly speak to your doctor. Hope this helps and easy on the gatorade, too much electrolytes can actually hurt the kiddos. Give them pedialyte or half apple juice/half water with a pinch of salt. Straight from a pediatrician...it works for my kiddos. Good luck!

talk to your doc its sounds like an allergy or something since it only happens certain times good luck

S.,

Two years ago my 5 year old caught a nasty stomach bug but only vomitted for 8 hours. He woke up the next morning starving and playing as if nothing was wrong. I fed him because he said he was hungry. That very night, he was up again vomitting. The next morning nothing wrong with him. He ate and ate until his heart was content. Two days later he was sick again, only it wasn't just 8 hours of vomiting and upset stomach it turned into 5 days of it and I had to take him to the hospital where he was admitted for 3 days. The child vomitted for 7 days straight. They could find no cause for it other than it was a virus. They told me not to ever feed a child high fat foods or their normal diet until 48 hours after they've recovered from their stomach bug. The told me to give him the BRAT diet (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast) from now one until about 48 hours out. If he gets those symptoms again and feels better I would't let him go hog wild with food. His stomach needs time to heal. Hope he's better by now.

S.,
No worrys this is normal,, I have had a rough three days as it is moving thru my threee boys and hubby. I'm praying it doesn't hit me. clear liquids is the best way to go, if ya can get them to eat, try a banana or some good old fashioned chicken noodle soup. It does a body good. The only time to be concerned is if it accompanied by fever. (which has on this end) My boys ages 5, 7, and 10 were all upwards of 103. Had they gone any higher we'd be hospital bound

Hope this helps
S. J
________Fight Lyme Disease
www.ShazzArtisticVisions.com

I remember as an older child getting a 24-hour flu bug multiple times over a week or so, being well in between. I don't know if it was really that, or if I just wasn't yet well from the first bout.

It happened to me when I was in 3rd grade. I threw up at school 2 days in a row, okay for one day, and then threw up in front of the whole class the third day. My teacher thought it was nerves because my mom was away at school, but I really think I had a stomach virus without a fever. My dad didn't know what to do, so he did nothing. I was fine after the third day!

Sometimes the body just has to flush stuff out when a little virus is introduced. That may be what's happening to your child. Just make sure to keep him hydrated.

1 / 3