Weird Bump at the Base of Neck

Hi all. I noticed tonight while getting my 17 mo old daughter in her pjs that she has a somewhat large bump where her collar bone and neck meet. The bump is very hard and feels like it is the end of her collar bone. It didn't seem to bug her if I touched it. She didn't seem to have problems moving or seem to be in pain. Any ideas what this bump may be? Since tomorrow is Sunday and doctor offices aren't open I can't go have it checked out unless we go to the ER and since it doesn't seem to be bothering her I hate to spend the money at the ER if its nothing. Thanks for any help I can get.

It could be scar tissue. I would keep an eye on it to see if it changes in size or shape. If it's really bothering call the doctor. Mommies instinct is always best! Take care.

Has she had any shots lately? My daughter had one of these and I asked the doctor about it and he said it might be due to immunizations or allergies. He recommended watching it for a week and note any changes. Hers went away in about a week. I would definately call or schedule a visit though just in case.

My 2 1/2 year old son got one too, it went away after a couple weeks. I've had one before too and it went away after a month or so on it's own.

I'd need to more about the "large bump" before I could come to any determination on what it might be and/or what caused it. As long as your baby is showing no signs of discomfort or illness-and the bump isn't changing (getting bigger, darker, sinking in the middle, has visible lines running from it, etc.) I wouldn't worry myself too much about it today. I would call her pediatrician and get an appointment to have it checked out if it doesn't go away in a few days. If she starts to act sick as the day wears on or if the bump starts to change go to the ER anyway. You know your baby best. If you think she needs to be seen by a doctor right away, make it happen.

Hopefully it's nothing. My 8 month old is just starting to walk and she falls a LOT. So far we haven't seen any bumps or bruises but I suspect it's only a matter of time. Babies are very resiliant, thank God!

Good luck and God bless.

My 11 month old son has two bumps similar to what you're describing. His are on the base of his skull in the back and one at the base of the neck in the back. (both left side) My pediatrician has looked at them and says they are lymphnodes. The bumps don't bother my son at all either.

could be a lypoma which is fatty like tissue....i definitely would have it checked out. I happen to have one on my neck in the spot that you describe also one on my back. they aren't painful and what I've been told are harmless.

We just had this problem with our 1 month old. We found out it was torticollis. It was caused by the doctor using forceps when he was born, but it can have other causes. It is a build up of blood in that muscle by the neck. We had to go to Children's Mercy to get it diagnosed. They did an ultrasound to make sure that it was torticollis. We have to do neck stretches every two hours for 6 weeks then it should go away. If this doesn't sound like what your baby has, the doctors thought it might be a swollen lymph node (but those usually don't get so hard). I don't think you need to go to the ER, but definately take her to the doctor. You might need to bring up torticollis, because we went to a family practitioner, nurse practitioner, and pediatrition who didn't know what it was before our referal to Children's Mercy.

I don't have any suggestions as to what the bump may be, but I would definitely take her to her pediatrician as soon as possible just to be safe.

do they look like peas? If so My 4 year old had them all the time and they are her glands. My doctor told me with children they are totally normal but i would still call the doctor and talk to the nurse. You might check your insurance company might have a nurses line. I call my all the time they almost know me by name there but that is what they are there for and they have saved me many trips to the er over the years. I tend to worry about ever little thing.

I agree, I wouldn't worry too much...I would call the pediatrician for an appointment though. I could be anything and it could be nothing. But I'd let the doctor determine that. To me it is worth the money. Skip the ER though and call your Pediatrician in the morning.

1 / 3