Weight Gain with Second Pregnancy Is Out of Control!

Hi Mamas,

I guess I just need to know if this has happened to anyone else. I know this may sound selfish and superficial, but.... I am barely 8 weeks pregnant and already my pants are getting tight. I have gained about 7 pounds too. I am just feeling conerned out about it. This is my second pregnancy, and I have heard that your body changes faster after the first, but this fast?? With my first pregnancy I didn't have to wear maternity clothes until month 6. If anyone has experienced this please let me know. Thank you!

yup I started showed way faster the second time too! no ultrasound at the first appointment... for me youhave to go to somewhere special for that, but you can ask for 1st trimester screening that wasn't offered to me the first time. Good luck!

Congratulations D.! (pretty name by the way) Just eat healthy, exercise/walk a bit more and ENJOY it!

I understand what you're feeling as I've been there. With my first, people I saw regularly were just discovering I was pregnant 3 weeks before she was born. With the second, I needed maternity wear by 12 weeks.
I found a wonderful cookbook called The Pregnant Woman's Diet and that helped with nutritional needs and keeping my weight under control. I don't know if that book is still in print or not.
Good luck with this second baby. I wouldn't trade any of mine for anything.
Thanks,
E.

I am pregnant for the fourth time, and I noticed weight gain and my belly when I found out, at about 6 weeks.... now I am almost noticeably pregnant at 10 weeks. I am mom of 3- 12, 9 and 2, and I stay at home full time- I have to say that they say if you are more out of shape it happens sooner- and staying at home, not getting much exercise I am definitely one of tho0se- anyway- good luck! After my next appointment I'm going to go shopping..............!

Hi D.,

I had this happen and I ended up pregnant with twins! I don't want to scare you because obviously it could be just weight gain, as they do say that you gain weight/show faster with your 2nd pregnancy. Especially since your muscles and organs have the memory of stretching and shifting. But you should find out at your first visit, now days they do an ultra-sound the first visit.

C. (and P.S., if it IS twins, it's not so bad) :)

Yes, very normal. I lost weight until month six with my first, but once I started gaining I gained the same as my second pregnancy even though on my second one I gained a lot in the beginning. With the second it leveled off after a few months and there were several months my weight stayed the same. And then with my third we were installing our yard, so I was digging holes and felt great, I gained the same with the first two. My third pregnancy I gained about 10 lbs. less. I think as long as you work out after you have the baby and try to eat right you will be fine. Don't worry too much, stress is not good for the baby. Now is the time to enjoy your pregnancy.
Take care and God Bless,

I feel the same way. I am on my fifth pregnancy. I'm only 3months and no longer fit in my clothes since I was about 2 1/2 months. So far I've gain around 8-9 pounds.

Hello D. P.
The same thing happened to me. My oldest son was 5 yrs old when I got pregnant. Everything started changing extremely fast, I was concerned too. I was told the same thing that with your second pregnancy your body will change and start to "show" a lot sooner that with your first pregnancy. I think I gained almost 15 pounds within my first couple of months. I kept getting bigger and by my forth month I looked like I was 8 months pregnant. Needless to say after my fifth (5)ultrasound, I learned I was having twins! Even though the first 4 ultrasounds all said I was having a single baby. I'm not saying your going to have twins, but I did find out that no matter what you do or how you control your eating, your still going to change, show, and gain weight faster than you did with your first pregnancy. I was told by my "high risk OBGYN" that basically when you get pregnant, a second and third and so on, your body reacts like "Hey I've done this before I know what I'm suppose to be doing"! So don't worry continue doing what your doing because your body is doing exactly what it should be doing. Congrats on your up and coming little one or ones (LOL):)!

This sounds a lot like me! With my first, I didn't start wearing maternity clothes until month 6, even then they were big. But with my second, I was wearing maternity clothes at 2-3 months! You do gain more weight with the second, and it comes faster since your body already knows what to do. Make sure you work with your dr to make sure it's not too much, but I'm sure you will be fine. By the way, I hate to tell you this, but it takes longer to lose too!

Hi D....
I am also 8 weeks pregnant & still haven't lost the baby weight from my first child (7 month old baby girl); but I have been determined not to gain a huge amount of weight too fast. My husband & I came up with a strick regiment that we follow everyday... we walk for atleast a half hour 4 days a week, eat relatively healthy (no sugary foods or soda), and we do not eat carbs after 5pm and close our kitchen after 8:30pm (except water). At first this was hard for me, but I've manage to actually loose 8 pounds in the last month... and staying healthy! I hope this helps; I know its not easy, but its important for you to be healthy to help your little baby grow inside of you!

During my first trimester of my first pregnancy, I gained 10 pounds! I was terrified. I ended up gaining 35 total. In the last month of my pregnancy, I didn't gain any weight at all. I didn't try to not gain weight in the end, it just seemed to balance itself out. I read somewhere that it has been scientifically proven that boys require more calories during a pregnancy and that weight gain is typically higher with boys. Maybe its a boy... :)

1 / 3