Weight Gain at 28 Weeks

hi experienced mom's

we expecting our first baby in november am 28 weeks as of today.
before pregnant i was 144 lbs.
now at 28 weeks i gained 26 lbs till now...am 170.2 lbs as of today..
am 5 feet 5 1/2 inches tall.

am really worried about my weight gain. am always hungry.
can anyone give me some tips how to put on less weight and how much time should i spend in walking. am staying at home fulltime and walking daily for 45mins .is it too less.

please someone help me am scared to get on scale now a days

Sometimes that just happens unfortunately!! With my first pregnancy I put on over 50 lbs and by my second trimester was eating only lowfat subway lunches and watching what I was eating for other meals, plus I was doing walking workouts. With this pregnancy, I am at 34 weeks and have put on about 20 lbs and haven't been as good with my diet or working out....As long as the doctor says you and the baby are healthy, I would try not to worry about it so much!

I started out at 135 and went up to almost 180 when I had my son. And I was walking and not eating as much as you would think to gain that much. What has your doc said about your gain? I know if you are drinking juices or high calorie drinks that could help. Try to do whatever you can. Trust me I understand how frustrating the weight gain is and I still have 6 lbs to take off and my son is 7 months old. It's not easy! But all in all if your docs aren't concerned and you are doing what you can I wouldn't worry :)

Sounds to me like you are doing all the right things. Did your doctor tell you not to gain any more weight? Typically, pregnant women can gain 20-35 lbs over the course of a pregnancy, so I don't think you've got a lot to worry about unless a medical professional gives you a good reason.

Keep walking as long as you can--that's good for you!

Hi R.,
Congrats on your first baby! Your main concern should be making sure you are giving your baby the best nutrition possible, not your weight gain. I am preggy with #5 and have gained anywhere between 20 to 43 lbs in my previous pregnancies.. each one was different! Make sure you are getting 80-100 grams of protein a day, plenty of fresh fruits, veggies and whole grains. Salt your food to taste and drink to thirst. Take your prenatal vitamins and keep up the great work with the exercise and you will be just fine. A fantastic resource about the best diet for you and your baby is The Brewer Medical Diet for Normal and High Risk Pregnancy by Gail and Tom Brewer. You can see a summary of the recommended foods in the Brewer diet here:
http://www.bradleybirth.com/PD.aspx
I would say stop worrying too much at the scale and enjoy this precious time with a new life growing inside you ;)

i didnt read the other requests, but i am pregnant for the 3rd time... first time, i gained 63 lbs (and i am only 5 foot 2 inches), but i had a beautiful, super healthy baby girl at 7 lbs, 13 oz. second time, i gained 40 lbs, and baby was 7 lbs 10 oz. the point is, the weight i gained didnt matter, as long as i was having healthy babies. i HATE HATE HATE exercising, but i was still about to go back to pre baby weight (i have terrible stretch marks, but that was unavoidable, all the women in my family get them)... now, with baby #3, im 22 weeks pregnant and have already hit my 'target' weight. OH WELL! we'll just have another healthy baby :) dont worry about it, the stress will make you want to eat more. as your baby grows and starts to push on your stomach and intestines, youre probably not going to want to eat as much anyway!! and congrats on the pregnancy :)

You've already gotten some great advice but here is my two cents. Unless your weight gain has mostly happened recently I wouldn't be too worried. If you have been slowly gaining over the entire 28 weeks your still within a normal range for weight gain. Try not to worry (easier said than done!)and just be careful about eating well going forward and you will do fine!

I just passed the 29 week mark so I am in a similar position as you ... here are a few simple ideas that help me and might help you too:
- limit sweets to once a day
- eat what you want but keep to smaller than normal portion sizes on high fat, sugar or proccesed foods
- eat lots of small meals to prevent a drop in blood sugar
- choose whole foods when possible (whole wheat not white, fresh fruit and veg, lean meats)
- every time you eat something think about what nutrients you baby needs ... make sure you are really hungry and need food and aren't just tired, bored, stressed, etc.

As for the exercise, as long as your doctor is ok with it 45 minutes most days of the week sounds great. As long as you can continue being active it will help you shed the pounds later and make labor easier.

Like most of the others mom said, I wouldn't worry about your weight gain. I gained 50 lbs with my first child, and eventually lost all of it (it took a lot of dieting and exercising and time), but my doctor wasn't concerned since the baby and I were both healthy. If you're eating mainly healthy things and are walking for 45 min every day, then your body is probably gaining how much it needs to be healthy. My dr. also told me that I had to eat if I was hungry. Since you said you feel hungry, you should not cut back on your food!! This time around (my second pregnancy) I haven't gained as much, am not as hungry, and feel totally different. Don't give in to every craving (but do give in to some of them), and you should be fine and have a healthy baby.

darling honey!

Do not let yourself caught up with these kinds of thoughts! Your body is the home of a wonderful little baby, let your body do the work, let your baby get comfy!! If you are hungry do not deprive yourself, just make the right choices about what to eat! Keep exercising, that is good for you! You deserve to give yourself a break for the pregnancy, after you can start looking at ways to regain your shapes and your weight. I gained more than 40 pounds, and lost it all after, in 6 months. Of course my hips are a little wider today, and my tummy does not have the same exact tone, but essentially, I am as slim as before. Enjoy the pregnancy, let your body do his job, and feed you both with healthy stuff!!!
;-)

1 / 3