Wedding Gifts - How Much $ Do You Spend?

A good friend of mine is getting married on June 4th and her bridal shower is on April 30th. So I need to get her something. A lot of stuff on her registry is really expensive - $60 or more per thing!! Or they want 12 or soemthing that is $45. I can't do that. I was thinking $30-$40. What do you typicall spend on those gifts??

Okay, so maybe one thing for the bridal showere around $50 and then another thing for the wedding itself? This is such an expensive time of year for me as it is (all of my kids birthdays, dance recital - pictures, trophy, t-shirt, etc, my niece's birthday, and planning for summer.) But I do love my friend and we've been friends for years, so I'll figure it out to make it work for her. I feel bad because when her sister got married, who I'm better friends with, I had just had my 3rd (he was 4 weeks old at the wedding) and I couldn't afford ANYTHING. She understood, I just feel bad.

Wow! Thanks everyone!! I think I really like the ideas of the etched wine glasses and then I'll get something for just her for the shower. I'll def talk to her sister and find out what she reallys wants. If I'm going to put out the money I'd like to have it be something she loves and not just a want. I know she is living rent free with her sister right now and her finace owns a home and they really have most of what they need - so it's hard for me to stomach helping them start their lives out, but it's what they are asking for...

If she registered for 12 wine glasses, it's OK to buy one -- or two. No one expects a guest to buy all of the glasses, or silverware, etc!

$50 shower
$75-100 wedding

We'll spend 50 on the shower, and 100 for a wedding. Half if we don't go. You can fudge it a little if you buy gifts (versus cash) and keep the value the same, but buy on sale. (like a 50 item on sale for 35).

$50 shower
$75-100 wedding

Good Friend I would do $50+ or so on a gift. You could always get her a $40 gift card to one of the places shes' register for OR get her a gift Just for her, a mani/pedi gift cert to a place you know she goes.
For the wedding gift it depends on if I have to travel, get a hotel, will it be open bar, etc. But Never under $150 for a gift for the wedding. BUT everyones $$$$ situation is different, we arent "comfortable" but when it comes to stuff like this we make and effort. But thats just us.

I just got married a few months ago and didn't really expect all that much for the shower. it was more about the wedding for me. I think 40 or so for the shower and at least 50 per person that attends the wedding. The wedding gifts are supposed to give you a head start on your new life. Depending on where they're having it, it might cost 50 per person just to have the guest there. It's really nice to come out on top, wish i could have experienced that but we were still very much in debt after we added it all up.

Normally I spend about $25 for a bridal shower gift and for the wedding depending...$75 to $100...Never more than $100. We can't afford it.

For me, it all depends on my relationship with the bride or groom-to-be (as opposed to how much the happy couple are spending on the wedding or shower).

distant friend and relatives: $25-$50 for showers, $50-$75 for a wedding gift

close friends and relatives: $50-$100 for showers, $100+ for a wedding gift

But this is how much we spend now that we are financially stable and have everything we need. I spent much less when I was in my 20's and still struggling to pay the bills. You've got kids with lots of expenses. If money is a little tight, you could just get your friend a less expensive gift with sentimental value.

You can nicely frame a picture of you and your friend and give that to her for her shower. And for a wedding gift, you can buy a large popcorn bowl and fill it with microwave popcorn, candy, and a couple of fun DVDs that the couple might like. It really is the thought that counts. I really like it when people put thought into the gifts that they give me.

Gift registries are great, but the items on the registry are not your only gift options. If the items are too expensive, then by all means, come up with your own creative gift ideas. I'm sure your friend and her husband will appreciate whatever you give them.

Where I live, everything seems to cost more than other price ranges mentioned on this site but you have to do what you can afford. I spend about $50 on shower and $200 if giving a check (little less if a gift) on wedding.I used to charge gifts all the time but now we have huge cc bills to pay off. I do think you have to give something..... even if it's $25 check for the wedding.

close family $100 for wedding gift and $50 for shower gift

good friends $50 for wedding gift and $30 for shower gift

less good friends :) $40 for wedding gift and $20 for shower gift

I spend according to what I have to spend. Sometimes that means I use gas money and simply get there, other times we spend a little more on a gift (maybe $40--or something inexpensive from the registry and then an additional gift card, etc.). I'm sure there is some etiquette for the amount, and I would love to be able to afford to spend $50 to $100 on a friend's wedding gift, but I don't even spend that much on family holiday/birthday gifts, so couldn't afford to for a wedding.

1 / 3