Weak Muscles in 7 Month Old

i was just wondering if any of you have been through this. my youngest son is now 7 months old and is still not sitting up. he is still very 'wobbly' like an infant. he very recently began to hold his head up on his own but it still bobbs around alot. he also still has a little flatness on the back of his head from when he was very young. recently when i was giving him a bath i noticed that he has strong body odor underneath his arms. you cant smell it unless you really stick your nose under there, but its quite a strong odor. anyway, at his most recent checkup, i happend to mention all this to his doctor and she wants him to see a pediatric neurologist because of his weak muscles and the odor. has any one else experienced this? why a neurologist? Levi was perfectly healthy at birth, and i had a normal pregnancy. he was 9lb 5oz born at 37 weeks! they told me he would have been 12lbs if gone full term! any thoughts or advise would be appreciated..

Hi E.,
Try not to worry too much. This could be a VERY easy problem for a chiropractor to fix. The neck could certainly be torticollis and if so, chiropractic can fix it in no time at all. It is very safe and effective for any age! As far as his odor, it could also be helped by chiropractic. Most of the time it is from a clogged glad under his armpit. Give it a try. You have nothing to loose (except a lot a medical bills that could be uncalled for). This could be really simple or something more. Why not start with the least invasive first? Best of luck to you guys:)

It's always good to meet with your doctor if you are concerned about a developmental problem. With regard to the underarm odor. Someone wrote that babies do not get odors even if unbathed. That is not true. Even if they are bathed all the time, if you do not get in their little fat rolls, those areas can get stinky! I don't know about your son, but my little girl has tiny little rolls under her arms. When a baby is squirming around, or locks up her arms, sometimes that will happen even to the best mother! I hope everything comes back showing your baby is healthy, and that she's just taking her time on the sitting up thing.

As a mother of twins, who also had a perfect pregnancy - I had no idea my son would have birthing complications. Regardless, just understand that early prevention is absolutely amazing!!! We have seen multiple specialist and have fallen in love with our neurologist, Dr. Frank Berenson at Scottish Rite. He comes highly recommended and everything he has suggested has been excellent advice. My son was late to sitting up (and a few other things) and we actually started working with a physical therapist, who came to our home. Fast forward one month and my son is sitting up, reaching for toys and just a little behind his twin sister. Early intervention is key and hang in there. The first couple of times we visited the neuro office, I was not prepared. Of course I thought my child's problems were huge, but sitting in the waiting room I realized there are more challenging situations out there. Good luck.

The weakness and inabilty to hold his head are symptoms of a neurologic problem, possibly. Get to the peds neurologist ASAP, as early diagnosis may make a difference. Have not heard re: the strong odor, but will check around. Do NOT disregard the referral for your baby!!!!!!!!!! Could be a whole slew of things; hydrocephalus (treatable), cerebral palsy...Needs to be checked out-info is power. I, too, have boys, 20 mo apart....WHEW! It was indeed a challenge when they were young; could go on forever how they NEVER took naps at the same time, to allow this working mom (late shift) a nap, etc etc. The fact that they are even closer in age may HELP, as the older will not recall a time WITHOUT his brother, poss lessening the sibling rivalry. Mine have it bad...=( Best to you...Keep us informed, please!

My niece was very woobly at seven months. She could not hold her head straight and my sister worried about it and mentioned it to her Pediatrician, who said there is nothing to worry about. Indeed, my niece learnt to hold her head strong a little bit late but still she did fine. She is now almost 2 and she is very healthy baby. Babies are "wobbly" until at least their first birthday, I remember worrying about my child too.
The armpit odor, never heard of it. However, if don't bathe your child everyday, they will develop very strong odors quick. If you stick your nose very close to any baby's body, their odors will be strong. If you think about it, babies don't necessarily have those sweet smells unless you carefully follow their bathing routines.

The neurologist is mostly because of the weak muscles. Sometimes, it's a symptom of a bigger issue. My son had this problem when he was little, but we didn't really do anything about it until he was 13 months old. We figured what's a little bit of the wobbles going to hurt? Now, he's 6 years old and still in therapy to try to get him caught up to his peers! I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's better to find out now than later.

It could be what is called toticollis. You can read about it online. Most cases just take some therapy to strengthen the affected side. Say you son's head always went to the left. That would be the weak side. In some cases it does require surgery. I think that is rare and depends on when you catch it. The smell to my knowledge does not go along with this so unsure on that one except it is hot and he is bigger like my sweet little one. Hope this helps.

First talk to your pediatrican and then I would do the following 1) Put your son in the floor so can try moving and his muscles get stronger and secondly find a swim teacher that teaches baby how to swim and that will be great for your baby

You need a neurologist because the problem of possibly spinal cord or brain involvement needs to be ruled out first. If the brain or spinal column is not the problem then that specialist will give you another referral based on his/her particular findings. The underarm odor at that age well , that's another story. Your pediatrician should have some possible satisfactory answers about that. Hope this helps.

1 / 3