Weak Knees with Aging - How to Strengthen?

My knees have gotten pretty weak with age - I have trouble getting up from a squatting and now even a sitting position. I am starting to exercise to strengthen them, but I wondered if anyone had any advice about exercises that would work to strengthen the knees, and/or if anyone can recommend any nutritional supplements that might be helpful for knees/joints.

I don't have knee pain at all and it doesn't bother me to walk, hike, etc. or just be stationary. The only thing I've noticed is it feels like my knees won't support me when I get up from sitting or get up from the floor (after playing with kiddos).

Thanks in advance for any advice you have! I love this site, I am always reciting stuff from it that I've learned through the Questions and Responses.

Thanks, everyone! Seems to be a concensus around Glucosomine/Chondrotin HCL so I'm headed to the store to try that. I appreciate everyone who took time out to respond. ;>

Another note (much later ;>) I have been taking Osteo-BiFlex and I have noticed a marked improvement. I'm riding my bike and walking too, so that may help, but it's not enough to be the exercise alone. Thanks again to all who responded!

I too have heard that glucosimine and chondrotin can help. To actaully strenghten your legs though you need to workout. Lunges and squats are best for a whole leg workout. But go slow. Sometimes as you age your body just doesn't want to cooperate anymore..as I am finding out..and I exercise regularly (I am also a personal trainer). Healthy fats are also good for the joints..olive oil, salmon, nuts...they are natural lubricants.

use 2 drops of soothanol x2 rub on the effected area and you will be amazed of any pain disappearing.

Oh, good, it's not just me! ;) We can tell we're getting old when it's difficult to stand up after sitting around on the floor with our kids. I haven't had any knee injuries, but I did inherit my dad's bad knees. I've had knee pain that comes and goes since I was a kid. Mine actually ache when it's going to rain. I'll have shooting pains through the left one now and again, and sadly, it's not because I spent the day walking around Busch Gardens. It's always at odd times that I get the knee pain. I always buy my supplements through www.vitacost.com and I would definitely recommend a joint blend. Everyone else so far has forgotten MSG (not to be confused with MSM in food). An MSG-Gloucosomine blend works great. It does take a good 2-4 weeks to feel the results. I like Irwin Naturals joint blend, and NSI OptiMSM Gloucosamine-Chondroitin blend. I very rarely have any knee pain when I am taking the supplements. I understand you're not having the pain just yet, but if it works on someone that's probably farther down the line with knee problems (probably early stages of arthritis...man, I'm only 29), then it should work great for you as well!

Dear M.,
There are a variety of nutrients that may help knee ligaments
but if you would like to know exactly which are correct for you there is a questionnaire on my website that can narrow it down for you-docmccullen.com, we'd be glad to help you out.
Best of Luck, doc

Are you sure it's your knees and not your leg muscles? Getting up from squatting or sitting really uses your quad muscles. The best exercises are doing squats (repeatedly sit on a chair and get right back up) or wall sits (sitting in an imaginary chair with your back against the wall). In either of these exercises, do no lower past your thighs being parallel to the floor. Balance exercises would be good for your legs and knees. There are several yoga poses you could practice including the tree pose. Email me if you need more info. ____@____.com

Hi M., you could try glucosamine. I have heard that it works wonders from several sources. I also heard that it takes at least a month or so to really start working though. Good luck.

I have had problems getting up and down for a while. I am starting to take a Tai Chi class where the instructor tells me that the moves are to strengthen my inner muscles, and he specified the knees as one that can be weak going side to side and some of these moves will strengthen them. I haven't experienced it yet, but am hopful.

Hi M.. I am a physical therapist asssitant and massage therapist. My suggestion is yes, start slow and strengthen your muscles but be sure to listen to your body and you must stretch. Lunges, squats, hamstring curls and knee extensions are a good place to start, do higher reps and low weight. Also osteobiflex has had great reviews, my mom and my husband take it. It helps rebuild cartilage in the joints which provides cushioning between the bones. Massage therapy would also be a great addition to your porgram. Best of luck!

1 / 3