Waxing a Mustache or Threading It??? Which Is Better and How Long Does It Last

My daughter has had hair above her lip for sometime now. At first when she was about 7 and some of the kids let her know she had a mustache .. we started to bleach it. some times it would look good, other times it would be way to light.. since her skin is olive complexion. just last week (she is 10 1/2) we went and got it waxed. She was so happy with the outcome.. but it's been only a week.. and already it's coming in. Is this normal? I thought it would last much longer than a week? Will she have to go now every week.. or will it be better in the future? or maybe the girl that did the waxing didn't pull enough out? or is this new threading thing better?? is it painful to get threaded? thanks!!

Strings are exactly the same thing as waxing. It last the same amount of time. The only difference is that instead of pulling out all the hair at once (waxing) you pull out a few hairs at a time (string). I had my eyebrows done on the 18th and I've been plucking them the past couple days. I liked the string better for my eyebrows because she had more control over what hair was removed. But all in all I don't think there is any difference.

Laser hair removal may be more expensive, but it lasts longer and eventually hair will stop growing there, so maybe in the long run it will pay off. A friend of mine did this, not me personally, so i don't know exactly how it feels.

I used to bleach mine, but noticed after several years that my skin also got lighter from the bleach--and I am very pale!

I am considering laser/electrolysis myself, but in the meantime what I am doing now is using the Nads Green Apple cold wax strips. It is very easy to use and very economical. No heat, no mess, and you can do it for her at home.

I bought a pack from drugstore.com for 10 bucks, and once I cut the huge pieces down to mustache-size, I think I have 30-50 strips... maybe more! You just rub the strips between your palms while they are still in the paper (the heat of your hands warms the wax) apply them to the upper lip and pull off in the opposite direction of the hair growth.

I think her hormones are fine, too. Good luck!

My daughter is also 10 1/2 and has been getting waxed for 2 years. We never did bleaching because of sensitive skin. Her hair grows back slowly over a few weeks but by three weeks she has to get it done again. You need to let most of the hair come back before you go again, so that it is all even and long enough for the wax to grab. I find that three weeks is a good mark. My daughter also has olive skin and this works well for us. I think her hormones are fine.

Hi!
I am not sure if this is okay for a young girl - but consider laser for her upper lip - it lasts forever - altho' pricey. But when you think of the fact that she will have to continue to thread/wax constantly - the time and what you are going to have to pay for each visit - as well as the fact that she will always have to deal with this - I think it is SO worth it. This way she can go on and think about all of the great things about her instead of taking off something that mean children will bother her about.
Wishing you well!
p.s. - Threading is PAINFUL (so is waxing) - laser - quick and easy!

She may not sit through a threading, it is about the same pain level, but lasts non-stop for however long it takes. I actually pluck my mustache. Try getting her waxed again, then as soon as the hairs start to grow, experiment with plucking them. I think that waxing over time does ruin your skin and its elasticity. Some salons have two different waxes depending on how sensitive your skin is. The one for more sensitive skin, isn't as strong. You may want to inquire about how much a permanent solution is for her.

They will last teh same amount of time. You can use an at-home wax that's not hot - I used the Sally Hansen wax strips, and they worked very well for me. Now, I'm doing laser, which I would have LOVED to have had back when I was young and still in school. It is a little painful, but not as painful as waxing, in my opinion.

You can actually wax at home, a major benefit for privacy and money reasons. But you have to use hot wax that you microwave. I never had success with the cold wax, too sticky. It should last at least a few weeks. Try it again. The hair should grow in lighter and thinner as time goes on. If you see no difference and there is more of it, take her to the doctor. She may have a hormonal problem.

1 / 3