Watermelon for Baby?

I am wondering if it's ok to give my 7 month old fresh watermelon. I think the texture would be great for him to move into the next stage of "chewing". I have been pureeing all of his foods up to this point. Are there any other good ideas for foods that are easy for a teething baby to 'gum'?

There is a feeder that has a little net over it that you can give to the baby. I think it is called Eating Right Feeder. they have it in the baby store in Valley Fair in San jose or you can get it at most baby stores. Then they can suck on the fruit w/out choking.

Hi H.,

I gave my son watermelon at that age. I also cut up small pieces of nectarines, peaches, plums, and banana. For harder fruit like cantaloupe and honeydew, I used the mesh feeders, also great for teething and hot days. Just use the 4-day wait rule in case of any allergies. Hope this helps and happy feeding!

There are those little mesh fruit holders that allow a baby to suck the fruit without choking on pieces. I have seen them at drug stores and at Target. They are not expensive and take the worry out of giving young children fruits. I would look into it and let him enjoy!

Our son loved watermelon, pears, peaches, avocado, peas, and overcooked whole wheat pasta at that age. Just be careful on the portions, especially with watermelon and pears - they tend to run right through them!

You can give him watermelon - he'll love it! You may want to use a "feeder". It's a mesh thing you can put solid food in so your baby can hold it himself. They are a bit gross to clean but my baby loves it!

I gave our daughter watermelon at 8-9 mos and she loves it to this day. I leave about a half inch on the rind and she would gum and gnaw on it. Now she eats normal chunks of watermelon. I would also give the crust of french bread as another lady responding did. We also give her the crust of pizza and she loves it as well.

My son loved watermelon. I cut it up into bites the size of little peas. He also loved "smoothies" - i'd mix oatmeal baby cereal with breastmilk, pureed bananas & blueberries, with a little bit of Baby Yo. So good! You can also try scrambled egg yolk (DON'T GIVE BABY EGG WHITES - they are highly allergenic!). Whole Foods sells a great little rice wafer called Baby Mum Mums (have also bought on Amazon.com) - and they dissolve very easily. You can also check out www.wholesomebabyfood.com for more ideas. It has food recommendations and recipes for every stage - i've gotten a lot of great ideas there. Good luck!

I wouldn't. There are so many other foods that are universally non allergenic and more nutritious. Watermelon is very sweet. I would wait on it. Try cooked or very soft pear, cooked apples, yams, banana mixed with avocado for some good fat... there's a great book by Annabel Karmel called Top 100 Baby purees.

There was nothing better for my teething daughter at that age than watermelon and canteloupe. She LOVED gnawing on the fruit and rinds. Go for it!

sure but i would cut it small. they say the size of a cheerio is good for babies. also try well cooked mac and cheese, ripe avacado cut small, cottage cheese is good to practice spooning with. oatmeal, cut bananna, strawberries, those gerber puffs. those are great they disolve pretty easily and have lots of flavors. my kid loved the sweet potato ones.

1 / 3