Water Used in Steam Mop

What kind of water do you use in your steam mop -- tap, distilled, etc.? Have you experimented with adding vinegar, tea tree oil, or anything like that to the water?

I just got a Bissell steam mop and love it so far. It came with a bottle of scented water, and I really like how the house smells after using the steam mop. The user guide doesn't really mention adding anything to the water, so I'm not sure whether to try it or not.

I have a Shark and I've always used just plain old filtered water from the Brita . . . never heard of the scented water, but what a great idea. I love my steam mop, but I do miss out on that oh so clean smell. I make up for it by sprinkling ground cloves on the carpet before I vaccuum.

I don't have a steam mop, but have thought about getting one. Just wanted to let you know that you can buy a refillable gallon-size water bottle at Whole Foods for about $5. They have water tanks in the store where you can fill your bottle with your choice of three different types of purified water, and it's less than 50 cents per refill. We use this for our coffee maker. We have two bottles, and when one is empty, it goes in my car so I'll have it the next time I'm at the store.

The Bissell website says that if you use distilled water, it will extend the life of the filter. I bought a jug of it at Walmart for about $1...and so far it has lasted me a long time.

a few drops of Fabuloso goes a long way. Maybe jsut a few drops will scent your water.

1 / 3