Water Broke?

I was sleeping and woke up in a huge wet spot! I am due one week from today. However i have not been having very many contractions. My husband is convinced i just peed in the bed, but the fluid was on my legs and it was a white cloudy color. Does anyone know what this may have been? Did my water break or did i actually pee while i was asleep? Please help! This is extremely embarrassing for me!

So i went to the doctor on the 14th and quite embarrassingly it was not my water that broke. However i was in active labor! They gave me pitocin to help progress things, and Gracie Dawn came into this world at 8:20 pm. She weighed 7 pounds 1 1/2 ounces and was 19 1/2 inches long! I want to thank everyone for their advice!

This is number 4---girl get to the hospital now and check it out!!!! The last time I had a baby they told me the very next pregnancy I better be in the hospital at least two weeks early. I only had two and yet the last came faster and more leaking than the first, so that meant the next would be even faster. So what are you doing reading this go check it out!!!! Congratulations on your newest addition to your family!

Is it a constant leak? Or has it stopped? I've heard sometimes the baby can kick you in the bladder and that can make you have an accident. If your water broke, it's not likely it would stop leaking. Talk to your Dr's office.

Urine and amniotic fluid don't smell anything alike. Sounds like he's being a jerk and you better get to the hospital to check it out either way.

Actually, it can be very different for every person. It doesn't necessarily leak with every contraction. I didn't know until my daughters pregnancy/birth that there are really 2 layers of the bag. My daughter had leaking and then nothing for a few hours. Then they had to break the bag at the end.

Obviously, we all agree that your water broke. I doubt you are still reading responses and hope you are not panicking. For many women, the first sign of labor is the water breaking. It was for me. But, there is no reason to be alarmed and I am sorry so many people seem to think there is. There are a lot of overreactions due to the way many medical professionals present information in a frightening manner. Yes, at some point today you want to get yourself to whoever is going to assist you in the birth. You just do not need to panic or get in a rush.

It is standard medical practice to induce labor after the water breaks if contractions do not begin within a number of hours. The understanding is that the child should be born within 24 hours to prevent any possibility of infection. I've known of women who waited up to 3 days to go into labor after the water broke. As long as there is no medical staff sticking their fingers up there to check for dilation stages there is little chance of introducing bacteria that would likely cause any concern. Your baby is still in a moist and safe environment and is still connected to the placenta and is getting everything it needs. Anyone - be they doctors, nurses, or midwives - who assists in birth and does not know how to lubricate the birth canal is not worth their salt. So you don't need to panic about the 'dry birth' unless your doctor is incompetent.

Some women will actually wait a few hours before going to the hospital just to see if taking a walk will trigger labor to start on its own rather than rush to have labor chemically induced. Whichever way helps you to be most calm as you move through this is a good choice. By the way, bring the bed sheet with you so they can see the fluid. You did not describe any brownish, blackish, or greenish streaks, which could indicated that the baby had its first BM. This can sometimes happen just before the water breaks and is referred to as a merconium stain. If there is any indication of merconium stain in the fluid, they will be in more of a hurry to induce labor.

Anyway, hope you get this in time for it to be of some help, but I doubt it.

If you have not already delivered by the time you get this message, run to the doctor. In the old days they said girl you might have a dry birth if that was the water breaks and it sounds like it was. Don't worry they will check to see and then induce labor if needed. It happened to me too. Good luck.

Go IMMEDIATELY to the hospital!! IF your water broke - and I am positive it has - then the environment your baby has been developing in is no longer sterile. Contractions or not - GO! If it was not your water (the hospital can do a simple test to see if is or not), you can always go back home. You don't want to jeapordize the baby's health so go have it checked.

When my water broke it was a SLOW trickle. So slow I kept thinking it stopped. My contractions never started after that. Please be sure and go to your doctor. I was afraid I peed too, but it's always better safe than sorry.

Call your OB right away and you can go in for a checkup. THey can tell you if your water broke for sure.

1 / 3