Water Breaking Preparation

So this is my first pregnancy and I'm wondering about the whole water breaking thing. I know sometimes this doesn't happen until women reach the hospital. However, sometimes it comes suddenly, right? Has anyone ever gone to any lengths to put a protective covering on their bed or car seat so that you don't ruin your furniture in the event of a surprise break? Suggestions?

I had no idea about water breaking either. I held my water until my exam at the hospital for my first pregnancy. My water broke in the back of the car for my second. Luckily, my niece had put a large trash bag underneath me before I got in the car( it was her car lol). My best suggestion is to have a sheet of plastis, like a painters tarp or a large trash bag near when you go into active labor. Always have poise pads on hand just in case it trickles instead of gushes.

I think if you research it you will find that the percentage of women who's water actually breaks if very very very low so don't worry. That being said I bought a new mattress right before my delivery date and decide just in case to buy a plastic mattress cover. My water never broke on that or any of my other three pregnancies. Good luck!!!

Before my water broke I felt some cramping (contractions)for a little while. That is how I knew that it might be coming. The first time it was 4:00 in the afternoon and the second time it was about 2:00 in the morning - I had a weird dream that someone kicked me in the stomach and all of the sudden I woke up and my water broke! Weird, huh. Basically, if you are feeling crampy for a while - not bad crampy, but just constant crampy, that could be a sign. That was the sign was for me.
Jenn W.

No. Mine broke at home while I was having contractions. I felt the need to go to the bathroom before and then it ruptured. A lot of the time, it is just a slow leak.

Mostly your bag of waters does not rupture prior being in labor though.

Don't worry about it. You can't control it and I don't know anyone who ruined anything from their bag of waters rupturing.

Usually the water-breaking thing happens gradually until in are in active labor. At that time, if you are having a home birth, then you would put paper on the floor. Many times, the Doctor breaks the water sac during delivery.

I think the water issue will be the least of your worries when the time comes.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your labor and delivery.

Yes, I will admit I carried one of my daughters little crib covers (those things that you put under the crib sheet to soak up any pee in the crib). It was a cheap and easy fix to the issue. I began carrying it around the last month and a half to work with me, slept on top of it in bed and also sat on it in my car (because I did NOT need that extra cleaning bill for my car). A month before I was due, I went to work on a Saturday night and got off after midnight. The next day, we walked around like crazy all day...and I mean all day of shopping...rough on the feet. Then at 10:45 pm, I had JUST gone to the bathroom and then sat down on my couch (which had a blanket covering on it anyways for our dogs) and I felt like I peed myself. My water had broke...a month early.

Take it from me...carry something around with you because if something happens and your water breaks on your mattress or in your car...for one, you will be in the hospital for a few days and worrying about other things and not even really think that your fluid soaked car or mattress is sitting there fermenting...won't be a pretty smell when you are finally home and settled (I've read horror stories) and two, it just gives you the peace of mind knowing that the day is soon approaching and that you are pseudo-prepared for it.

I hope this helps you and good luck!!!

Don't worry about putting down protective covering. My water broke suddenly in the middle of the night. It started by just leaking a little so I jumped up and went to the bathroom. My underwear was definitely wet but on my way back to the bed, all of a sudden water just poured out of me. Very strange but completely painless. My husband ran and got some towels and I just had those around me. I changed my clothes, called the doctor and got ready to go to the hospital. I never had labor pains until we were in the delivery room (they gave me something to increase the contractions). I never had to worry about counting contractions. It was a very smooth and easy delivery. FYI - the water that comes out is totally clear. We definitely cleaned the area with carpet cleaner, but if you didn't see it happen, you would have never known it was there. Good luck and don't worry about it!!!! (easier said then done i know)!

Water breaks outside the hospital in only 10-15% of pregnancies. I was in that 10-15% with both of my kids. For the most part, when you're standing, the gravity of the baby blocks the release of water but some still can come out. Put some kind of water blocking material on top of your mattress, maybe underneath your mattress pad so you're not feeling "crunch crunch crunch" when you move around. Then the books say to carry spare pants etc in your car incase it happens when you're out.....I'd suggest carrying maxi pads too cuz if it happens when you're out, what you change into will get soiled as well...Fortunately for me both times I was home, once in bed the second time getting out of bed to pee.....Good luck!

I'm pretty sure that when your water breaks, it doesn't come out in a huge gush. It's more like a constant trickle, with little gushes when you move. At least that's what I found through my own experience! You could buy some super absorbant maxi pads and wear them daily if you're worried about an embarrassing leak :)

Jenn W.

Hi K., hang in there! Just do whatever makes you feel comfortable. Sleep on a towel, put one in your car, etc. 90% of the time the waters don't break until well into the labor process. I, as "luck" would have it, fell into the other 10% and my water broke, very gently - nothing a maxi pad couldn't handle, as the beginning of labor, even though I was only minimally dilated. I had walked a LOT that day, though, so I think I brought it on myself. Anyway, I would recommend some sort of just-in-case protection, because I wouldn't want amniotic fluid getting in my upholstery. Don't worry about it until your due date, or until you start dilating a lot, though. Best wishes for your coming motherhood - it's really amazing!

1 / 3