Water Birth And/or Hypno-birthing

Hi all. I am looking into both options. Anyone have experience with either. Baby #1 was a natural birth, but the most painful part was when I was in the bed instead of my labor tub. I'm wondering how your water birth went and what some things to keep in mind are.

Also, I have been looking in to hypno-birthing/Hypnobabies. Did you do this? The only draw back I'm afraid of is that I will feel like I missed part of the experience if I'm in some sort of trance. Did you feel this way? Are there parts of labor/delivery you don't remember as well because of the self-hypnosis?

Do tell! If you'd rather PM me, that's fine.
Thanks:)

Thanks for all the help! As I'm only 23 weeks preggers at this point, it will be a while before I have a birth story to regale and reward you all with. A quick note: somehow I seemed to post on the Chicago area board? I appreciate all the links and professional recommendations, but they won't do me much good down here in Indianapolis :( Luckily, I have a doctor who supports me, a couple choices of doulas with water birth and/or hypnobirthing experience, and a hospital that while I wouldn't give birth at it if I had a midwife, I like my doctor enough to stick with it! Besides, they can't be too bad, they rent tubs, allow water birth, and have complimentary Doula services!
Thanks all:)

I did hypnobirthing. It was a great experience. I won't go into my birth story, but I will tell you that you don't really go into a "trance". You are just really really relaxed. There isn't anything I don't remember (that I know of LOL) because of self hypnosis. I did not do a water birth, but I saw videos of mom's doing it with hypnobirthing. It looked amazing. Here is the website of my Hypnobirthing instructor
www.comfortablebirthing.com/

Hi S.. I am a labor doula and had to respond to this. A waterbirth is so great. I have supported a couple and they are just awesome and help so much with the pain too. Even if you just labored in the tub and then got out and into bed to deliever. Also, I had to recertify this year. We have to do that every 3 years. I did a course on Imagery birthing and it is pretty much the same as Hypnobirthing and let me tell you, it is great. You are not hypnotized like you would think and you know, it is great. I would love to talk to you more on this if you are interested. I have the whole course on CD and would be glad to help you with it. When are you due?

S. Bailey CLD
Aurora
www.tendermomentsdoula.com

S.:

I can not share from personal experience but a mom I saw this past weekend had a waterbirth and hypno and raved about it. I will ask her for an e-mail for you.

Go to www.birthlink.com and you may be able to contact someone through them as well.

P., RLC, IBCLC
Parenting Coach and Board Certified Lactation Consultant
www.lactationsupportgroup.com

www.comfortablebirthing.com/

I did both with my second son. It was a wonderful experience and I highly recommend it!

Hypnobirthing definitely doesn't put you in a trance - it's not like that at all. It just helps you to perceive what's happening in a more positive, constructive way so that you aren't fighting your body. I found that for me it helped me to feel the pain as "stretching" and "opening" rather than as "something's wrong!" as I did in my first childbirth. I was able to relax into the contractions. (Not that it didn't hurt! But it didn't feel like random pain being inflicted - I was able to focus on the images and ideas from my hypnobirthing sessions and so it felt like useful progress was being made.)

Also, helps you to be relaxed and calm. I actually did a private session with my hypnobirthing coach because I was tense about things not related to labor itself, and it was extremely helpful. Highly, highly recommend! I gave birth (4 years ago this week!) at West Suburban Hospital's birthing center and my midwife practice was West Suburban Midwife Associates.

hi S.,

Wishing you the BEST in your pregnancy and birth journey.

My 3rd and 4th babies were waterbirths. I am also a CNM and at least 50% of my clients use water for labor and birth. Those of us who have "done it" both ways say how amazed we were that we could have a land birth, as the water experience was so much "easier".

I was so impressed with and LOVED my waterbirth experiences that I did my thesis in my MSN program on water for labor and birth.

As for Hypnobabies and Hynobirth, clients of mine who have used those methods were pleased, particularly with the relaxation during their pregnancies. It seemed the practice allowed them time to focus on their babies and themselves, and was much needed in their busy lives. Not one client has complained of not remembering or losing any of the labor process. I have a dear friend who teaches HypnoBabies classes (as well as being a massage therapist and a birth doula).

For answers to particular questions regarding birthing in water, I suggest you discuss yoru thoughts with your provider. As for the Hypno- birthing option, searching the 'net might offer answers which you want.

Again, Best Wishes!
L. (in Indianapolis)

Can't tell you about the hypno as I'm a Bradley teacher but my first birth was a fantastic water labor but was too relaxed and had to get out for pushing. Second birth was a wonderful water birth. It was great!!

There is only one midwifery practice that I'm aware of that does water BIRTH (unless you are going to be at home) so be aware of that

S.,

Your breastfeeding quote is hysterical! Love it.

Regarding hypnobirthing. My aunt is now retired but taught this process and I've heard nothing but great stories from her about those she taught/helped. She originally learned hypnosis to teach children with cancer how to relieve their pain w/o drugs - also amazing stories. Point being, the techniques are to relax your mind and body...you are totally aware of what is going on - if anything it sounds to me like you might be "more aware" of the birth because you can relax.

I admire your willingness to use "alternative" methods. Best of luck to you. I'd love to hear how it goes.

N.

I didn't have either kind of birth but I wanted to do a water birth with my daughter (I ended up having to have a C-Section due to complications). But I have looked into the water birth and it is the best way to give birth for the mother and for the child. The mother and/or father actually can take control of the birth of their own child. There is a midwife in the room but they are there for more of just moral support and to be sure that no complications happen. A majority of women that have water births do not feel the need to have any kind of pain medication during the birth. This kind of birth is actually less traumatic for the child. The woman gets to feel and remember every part of the birth of their child. The water is very warm and relaxing so it will ease your muscles expecially during contractions. I wish you the best in whatever you choose but I would strongly suggest the water birth. Good luck!

1 / 3