Washing Seat Cushions?

Hi, Mommies! I was wondering if anyone has washed a seat cushion in the washing machine. It's the kind that you tie onto chairs. The tag says only to surface clean, but my son spilled milk on the cushion and I don't want it to stink. Plus, the cushions could use a good washing with the bits of food and dirt on them. I know they aren't that expensive, but I don't want to have to buy new ones if I don't have to. Is it okay to throw them in the wash if I put them on gentle cycle? How about drying them in the dryer? Thanks for your help!

Thank you everyone for your helpful suggestions! I ended up washing three of my cushions in the machine (mainly because I was too lazy to wash them in the tub or outside--lol) on the hand washable cycle and the they came out fine. Yeah! They are hang drying right now. Thanks so much! :o)

I would totally not put them in the wash. I would take it out back with a strong hose, power spray the milk out and then scrub with some light dish soap, repeat, til it comes out. Then just leave it tipped on it's end, and in the sun, to dry out for a day or two.

Gentle Cycle wash, no dryer. Put them in the washer all by themselves so that they will not get smashed against the agitator and disfigured. They will need a lot of elbow room.

Hi Y.,

I wash all kinds of things in the machine that tags say you shouldn't--I figure, unless it's silk or full of metal--why not? I even wash and dry stuffed animals (how else to get really clean and eliminate dust mites?).

If your seat cushions are cotton or a cotton blend, I say go for it--gentle cycle, warm water. Air dry them if you are nervous.

:-) D.

drying them in the dryer will lose shape... use the ties to tie them onto a clothesline outside. I would wash on the gentle cycle by themselves.

It depends on the fabric. If it seems like cotton or some other washable sort then I would wash them on cold and air dry. You take a chance whenever you wash something that says spot clean. It could be the stuffing isn't stable and will push out of shape. Reshape and press flat while wet and then air dry. The dryer is likely to be the worst for them.

I wash mine all the time; I use the bulky cycle. I have been doing it for years and have never had a problem. Good luck.

I wash everything, and sometimes I end up regretting it! But, i'd wash gentle cycle, and then if your dryer has one of those shelves, i'd put them on that and dry gentle.

Y.,

I have washed seat cushions and dried them often. I don't know how similar yours are to mine, but they've always come out very nice. The worst that will happen is that you won't like how they come out, and then you would have to replace them, but I would say to give it a try. Can't imagine replacing them every time they get messed up!

1 / 3