Washing Machine Lint Snares/traps

Updated on February 26, 2013
M.A. asks from Detroit, MI

We just had to have our drains cleaned due to the amount of lint that was blocking them.

I use the metal and plastic snares, but lint always goes through them. I am also using a strainer for the tub.

What do you use?

• Add your own comment
  • Ask your own question
  • Join the Mamapedia community
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

answers from Norfolk on

My Mom always used cut up panty hose for this.
She's cut the foot part off, then use a rubber band to tie it so it dangled from the water drain pipe from the washer before it emptied into the sink.
It was fine enough to catch a whole lot of lint that could clog the drain up and since it dangled down a few inches nylon never got so clogged that the water could not flow through the pipe and into the sink.

answers from Pittsburgh on

We use nothing but have never had an issue. I wonder why that is..?!

answers from Washington DC on

We use the lint traps that go on the end of the hose that drains into our mop sink. We've not had a problem. What kind of washer set up do you have?

answers from Detroit on

I have used pantyhose for 20 years. It catches a lot of lint. I recommend you try this as it is inexpensive and it works.

Next question: Smell in Laundry Room