Washing Clothes in Warm or Cold Water???

Hello Ladies,

I really need help with the problem while I am doing my laundaries. I alwasys follow the direction on the label to either use warm or cold water to wash all the clothes. Ever since I got married four years ago, for some reasons that my husband's clothes are start to shrink by the way I do laundary. Not until recently my mother came to visit and told me that I shouldn't wash clothes in warm water if I don't want them to shrink. She told me that using cold water is as good as using warm water whether the label said to use warm water. My question is, is that correct??? Is it ok to use cold water to wash the clothes that suppose to wash with warm water??? Does warm water really would shrink clothes???

HELP!!! HELP!!!

Thank you all for all the wonderful commends about this. I will definately start washing clothes in cold water provent shirnkage and saving some energy/money along the way. Thank you again. ^_^

You can wash ANYTHING that is not dryclean only in cold water. Many people only wash their clothes in cold, to avoid having to separate their clothes out, or accidental shrinkage.

Yes, heat causes shrinkage (when I'm losing weight, I don't go out and buy new clothes, I just progressively shrink them with me by using increasingly hot water and increasingly higher settings on the dryer... I can get 2 sizes of shrink out of most clothes that way).

Cold water does not work as well as warm/hot, but it does still work. Wash Warm/Rinse Cold (as opposed to ww/rw), will shrink less than W/W, but will still cause SOME shrinkage.

I use hot water on fabric that needs to break up oils/it doesn't really matter that much if they shrink. So, HOT/Cold for sheets, towels, & socks... Cold/Cold for everything else.

I also set the dryer on LOW for absolutely everything EXCEPT sheets/towels/socks... which all get dried on HIGH.

I always wash my clothes in cold water. The one time I washed my clothes in warm water things shrunk. Everything comes out clean washing in cold water.

YOu can wash anything in cold water, and it works fine, especially if you use a cold water-specific detergent like cold water Tide, together with something like Clorox II. I always wash my darks in cold water, even when it says warm, to preserve the color. If stuff is shrinkin, you should definitely use cold.

It really depends on the clothing you are washing whether it will shrink or not. However, I only use cold water and I hang dry all of my shirts and some of my husband's so the dryer won't shrink them. I only dry underwear, towels, socks and my son's clothes. Cold water saves money too on the heating bill!

Hey M.,
I only use cold water to wash all my clothes. It saves energy (and money) and still gets our clothes clean. It also prevents colors from running as well as prevents shrinking.
Another factor you may need to consider is the dryer. Most clothes have dryer directions on them and will indicate if they need to be put on cool, warm or hot. I use the cool cycle on everything and this seems to keep clothes from shrinking as well although it may take a longer time in the dryer to get them completely dry.

Hello, I only wash in cold water except when I am bleaching whites, then I wash those in hot water. It won't hurt anything to wash in cold. As far as the shrinkage, the dryer will shrink things. If you don't want them to shrink, try drying them less time and hang them right away.
Good luck with your precious family.
K. K.

I don't know about shrinking but I have always washed my clothes in cold water and never had any problems. Even with clothes that say use hot water. Plus it saves you the cost of heating the water.

Yes warm water can shrink the clothes but they shouldn't keep shrinking..also could be the dryer. try setting it to a lower setting. Plus using cold water (which I always do except for my towels) will reduce your utility bills and it's more environmentally friendly... don't use Tide and you're being even more earth friendly! :)

I am pretty sure it is the dryer that shrinks clothes & not the warm water. Are you sure it is not your cooking? Maybe you are such a good cook that he is gaining weight & clothes are not shrinking after all!!!

1 / 3