Washed and Dryed Chapstick with Laundry

Hi ladies! I am in desperate need of a solution. I washed and dryed my favorite shirt and shorts all while having left chapstick in the pocket. I tried putting some oxiclean on it and let it sit for a few hours but that didn't work. The worst part is that is that the stains just kindof look like wet spots so when I take it out of the washing machine you can't see them so I cant tell if its out until I have already dried it. The first time it was washed I used a gentle woolite for dark fabrics then after realizing there was a stain I used my regular free and clear detergent. I would greatly appreciate any responses from anybody who has successfully gotten a chapstick stain out of clothing. Thanks moms!

Everyone reminded me that I should be treating the chapstick stain as a grease stain. I used some of my fiancee's stuff he uses to get the motor oil off his hands after he works on cars. It comes in a big orange container and has an orange scent. I'm not sure what it is called. I rubbed it in and let it sit overnight. The stain came out of the shorts but unfortunately not my shirt yet. I let the clothes air dry so I could look for the stain rather than putting them in the dryer in case it didn't work so I might have a better chance of getting the stain out the next time around. I will continue to try some of the different suggestions you Momma's gave me on the shirt and hopefully something will work. Thanks so much for taking time out to help a fellow mother!

I have used Goop--it's a hand cleaner that gets grease out of clothes too. You just put it on while the clothes are dry, and follow the directions on the container. Probably leave it on for a while to let it do it's thing. It may take a round or two, but will help. It is probably found in the automotive section of Walmart or whatever store you shop at. It works wonders with grease based stains, and is not hard on fabrics. It has worked for me. Good luck!

I got this stuff called Stain Devil. It got navy blue candle wax out of a white linen dress! It comes in a small yellow bottle, and there are several different formulations depending on the stain you are working with. I know they have a lipstick one. (www.carbona.com) is the address on the back of the bottle.
I cook alot and get grease based stains on my shirts. I found that Arm & Hammer makes this new spray cleaner that is plant based. It's called Essentials... Refillable cleaner and degreaser. (It comes in a cartridge with an empty bottle and you add the water)... I just spray it on the tough stain and let it sit for a day... wash it and it comes out every time! (It scares me using it on white stuff because it's bright yellow, but it's never stained). I hope this helps.

G.

Maybe try Goo Gone. I used it to get salad oil stains out of a shirt I'd already washed and dried. It worked, but took doing it twice. Good luck

With the clothes dry, get out the ironing board. On the little spots, place a paper towel & then iron over the towel on the spot. The heat will remelt the chapstick & the paper towel will absorb the residue. It may be a lot of work - but it has worked for me in the past. Good luck!

S. -
Try putting Dawn dish detergent on the ChapStick spots....I have never used dawn for chapstick specifically....but it works WONDERS on most other petrolium based stains (salad dressing, grease splatters, etc)

I use regular Dawn dish detergent for all of my tough laundry stains - blood, chocolate, stomach acid/bile, etc.

Squirt a few drops, add water (whatever temp is okay for the fabric), and gently rub.

I don't know if it would take out chapstick, especially since the shorts/shirt have been washed and dried multiple times. It's probably worth a try, though!

If you find a solution that works, please share it in the "what happened" section, because I'm sure lots of us have had this problem before! Thanks!

Maybe put a paper towel on it, and then put a hot iron on that. It might absorb it out. Maybe! That worked with baby oil.

Well I have to say thank you for asking this question because I have done this more than once and have the clothes to prove it. I hate to say this but I have tried almost all of these remedies and none have worked. I even looked up in a stain book and it said to add wd 40 and it would work....not! I am a huge believer in Lestoil and it didn't work. I am holding on to the clothes because I know someday there will be an answer to it. I can't tell you how many times I have washed them. But I think once it is put in the dryer, it is useless. I hate to be "Debbie Downer" but I have to say I tried everything. I may go back to the drawing board and try some of the mentioned things that are in here. I hope you have better luck than I!

1 / 3