Wash New Clothes Before Wearing?

Is it important to wash new clothes before you dress your newborn child in them?

I have sensitive skin and I know that babies have sensitive skin. I used dreft for my babies clothes. One thing I wish I had done though...don't wash them ALL right off....my dd was born early. so a lot of her clothes were the wrong season...I could have traded them in or passed them off to someone else if I had left tags on them! anyway they did go to family later. but there were some things never worn by my daughter that hung in her closet. lol. I still try to wash everything before anyone wears it--but sometimes on vacation etc. it can't happen. I am glad I did wash them for the sensitive skin stuff.

I do as I don't know what chemicals are on them and what people have touched them. It's a preference some people have, but I do not believe it is a rule.

Have a GREAT day!

Most fabric dyes are set with formaldehyde (sp?). This is very common to cause rashes-

When I worked as a retail manager most clothing and bath/ bedding boxes would be received with health warning stickers due to the formaldehyde.

I wash all my baby's new clothes before he wears them, for the reasons listed below. I did want to add my two cents on only washing a few items until you find out how big your baby is though...
I can understand how that is a valid point, but for me I just washed everything, and since all of our outfits were gifts and most people didn't leave us the gift receipts, I didn't think that possibley returning them was an option. I washed everything beforehand, whic was really nice because then i didn't have stacks and stacks of baby laundry to do AFTER the birth of my boy and could just focus on being a new mom. Also my sister had pointed out a REALLY good tip to me that I wanted to pass on - Baby clothes do shrink quite a bit the first time they are washed, some more than others. She told me to always wash before having the baby wear them, not jsut because of chemical residues and stuff, but also because then your baby will most likely wear it once, and then when you wash it it will shrink too small to fit them, and and cute outfit was basically wasted. If you pre-srink them, then your baby can wear them when he is smaller for a lot longer, instead of waiting for him to grow into something, and then out grow it as soon as it shrinks in its first wash. Good luck with your little one! Becoming a mother is SO FUN!

I would most certainly wash. Below is from an article that can be found at http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/233417/should_yo....

There is loads of info on this subject on the web.

Formaldehyde in Clothing
Who doesn't enjoy shopping for new clothes or giving a loved one or friend a new sweater as a gift? Most people these days certainly do take a degree of satisfaction from purchasing new clothing, however, everyone should be aware that new clothes, towels or even sheets might contain toxic chemicals like formaldehyde. Formaldehyde? Yep, that's right, the chemical used in biology labs for preserving dead animals and body parts. But why would anyone put formaldehyde on clothing? There are several reasons that manufacturers use formaldehyde. It is believed that some of the chemicals help keep the fabric stain free, wrinkle free and disinfected. But more importantly, it should be made clear that formaldehyde is considered a carcinogen, a cancer causing agent.

Strangely enough, when clothes have a fresh, new scent to them, it's from the chemicals used during their manufacture. Some people have very sensitive skin and can break out in a rash from the formaldehyde and other chemicals without even realizing their rash is from the clothes. Even those people who don't have a reaction are at risk since continued exposure to carcinogens could increase their chances of contracting cancer. Therefore, all new clothing and fabrics in general should be washed prior to wearing or using them.

Hi M.!

Congrats!!! It's probably just me, but I washed everything in every in Dreft or Ivory first. Just wanted to be careful since I didn't know who had handled the clothes and/or how they were shipped. I know I sound neurotic, but I figured better safe than sorry.

Congrats, again!

I just wanted to mention that I bought a big thing of Dreft before my baby was born, and now he is 11 months old and I still haven't had to buy another. And I love the smell of my baby's clothes and blankets just after they are washed.

YES!!!
this is important for the whole family, not just babies. Most manufacturers do NOT wash after the dyeing process so all those chemicals are still on the surface. you've also got pesticides, etc from the fiber. and lastly, you've got dirt, bugs, etc from the factory. yes, you read that right about bugs. my husband used to manage retail and he said what they found in the boxes of clothes was really disgusting. Even if you don't get a rash, who really wants all that next to their or their family's skin? A vinegar rinse (instead of softener) on cotton items will remove any soap residue as well as everything mentioned above and there's no smell after the clothes dry.
I do agree w/the person who said to wait on most items. although you will be incredibly busy after the baby, you don't want to be stuck w/a whole bunch of clothes you can't return because you washed them. So, wait on the newborn sizes until you know how big she really is (and the doctors are frequently wrong!).

I always washed my babies new clothes because it made me feel more comfortable and made the clothes softer. With most of that new stuff you can throw it all into one load so you don't have a lot of work to do. I still do that with anything new they get and they are 3 and 4. God bless you on your upcoming adventure. L.

Congratulations on your upcoming arrival. I would say yes -Clothes have been handled by who knows what - machines/people. I just washed things a little at a time and stored them, so that they were ready when the baby came.

1 / 3