Warming Botttles

Does anyone else warm their bottles in the microwave even though the instructions on the bottle says not to. I put my Dr. Brown bottles in the microwave for about 15 seconds...what's the issue with the microwave?

Wow...lots of strong opinions!! I use the BPA-free bottles, and only warm them in the middle of the night because I pre-make the bottles for her middle of the night feedings and keep them in the fridge. So I think I'll keep doing that. It helps me get a few more minutes of sleep, and every minute counts! Thanks for all your help.

We always used the microwave with my daughters bottles. As long as you don't put the nipple or the insert in the microwave, you are fine. The nipple will get too hot and the formula in the insert boils in a few seconds. So just take all parts out, warm it up, shake with a lid on, then insert the insert and screw on the nipple. Always test before feeding.

I have a seperate plastic cup of water. I microwave it for a minute and then place my bottle in that.

The microwave as others have said... hot spots, BPA issues and messing up the nutrients of the formula.

HTH

i did that also and nothing bad ever happened......i also warmed them by running them under hot water, when i didnt want to go as far as the kitchen....lol

my kids are 24, 14 and 11 and their still breathing and going strong.....

good luck!
H.

I warmed water in the microwave, and then place the bottle in it to warm up the formula. Then I read that cold formula doesn't cause problems for babies. Some just don't like it. So if it's driving you crazy, see if your little one likes it cold. If yes, one less thing to do, if no, then back to warming :)

The issue with warming a bottle in the microwave is the uneven temperature through out the milk when you're done... in other words "hot" spots that could burn your babies mouth. Also, there's the issue with the plastic "leaking" chemical into the milk while being microwaved. I used to heat the milk in a glass measuring cup and then stir it good (to break up any hot spots)then pour into the bottle.
Hope this helps!

I only used microwaves with warming my babies bottles but only for 25-30 seconds which made the milk just warm enough for him and always test it on your wrist first after shaking really good!
Oh, I also only heated the water first, then added the formula and don't put the nipple on the bottle while it's heating.
I've never had any problems using a microwave, just make sure it's never overheat the formula and always test on your wrist first!
Take Care!

It's not safe. The milk/formula could be "hot" in parts and "warm" in others. It heats unevenly.

I used an Avent bottle warmer and it was great and quick. OR you can do it the old fashioned way and put the bottle in some warm water and heat it that way.

HTH

I mostly breastfeed and if I pump, I don't use the microwave b/c it kills the antibodies in the milk. But I always heat formula for just a bit in the microwave. I think the issue is "hot spots" but if you shake it a bit those would even out - and 15 secs probably doesn't even make any. I also use Dr Browns but I take all the stuff out and lay it on a napkin and just put the bottle and formula or water for the formula in. Good luck!

I'm not sure what the problems with the bottles is, but I do know that heating the formula and especially breast milk in the microwave breaks down the nutrients in the milk. Also, heating milk in the microwave also causes hot spots which can also be an issue. Hope this helped.
Amadna

1 / 3