Want to Take 13 Year Old Son off ADHD Meds

Hi all
I have a 13 year old son who was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 5 years old. He has been on all kinds of meds and I want him off. He is such a sweet kid. But at times can be very hard to handle. School has been the hardest. He seems to get in trouble for talking and being to Hyper, and has had some issues with kids (teasing him). We have done counseling and the medicine. Things have gotten better, but we still have some issues. The beginning of this summer I took him off his meds and tried the natural way but it didn'tíwork. My son is VERY HYPER. Specially when he is around other people. My concern is every year the Dr's increase his med dose because at some point the meds stops working. And I donít want to do that any more. We are getting ready to start his 8Th grade year and I want this to be a great year for him. We have had some hard years, and would love for this year to be different. He is in gifted and talented classes and I would love to see him excel not only in academics but socially. I would love to hear from some one who has had their child on meds and took them off and had good results. Thanks

So What Happened?‚ĄĘ

I want to say THANKS to all of you. I was floored by all of your wonderful ideas and support. I wanted to give an up date on what we have done so far. First off my son is 100% off his meds. I canít believe he was on them for over 8 years. Since he has been off of them he is like a new kid (still a lil hyper but he seems much happier). Secondly we did go see DR. Block. I really liked her a lot and I believe she is going to help my son. We are also going ahead with the entire allergy testing as well. I pray they find the real problem that causes my sons hyper ness. We are going to change up his diet as well. This well be the first year my son will go to school med free. I would be lying if I said I wasnít a little fearful. I know this is going to be a long road but we can do this together. On that note, I would like to ask all of you to please keep us in your prayers. School begins this Monday. I pray for courage for my boy and strength for my husband and myself. Thanks again and I will keep you all posted.

Have you tried seeing Dr. Mary Ann Block at the block center yet? She has has some very good results of working with children without meds.
http://www.blockcenter.com/

I've recently begin reading up on homeschooling and have found many many instances of mothers who, after years of fighting the ADHD battle, they decided to homeschool their children and have had great success. I see that you're a SAHM, so perhaps that's an option for you? It's atleast worth reading a book or two on the subject.

Best of luck to you!

Best of luck to you!

I commend you for wanting to get your son away from the drugs.
There's been lots of other goods suggestions, but I've not yet seen a mention of Dr. Block in Bedford. She is a well known expert in the field of treating ADD/ADHD without drugs. She often finds that either food allergies and/or lack of nutrients are at the root of the problem. Take a look at her website: www.blockcenter.com
She also has excellent books that provide step by step guidelines for helping parents dealing with these issues. I spent alot of time researching her approach and found that removing gluten and dairy from my son's diet and adding nutritional supplements (including things like DMAE) helped tremendously. We still have some issues, but they're now in the manageable range.

My son is autistic, so we do meds to focus, but we were just the opposite. We wouldn't try meds till he was in 7th grade. It was a lot of trial and error and finding the right doctor was the key. He now has better focus on meds, Adderall XR.

But I have a friend who's business is health supplements and many people have raved about the products helping their kids.

Her website is www.kimhughes.isagenix.com

If he gets excited around new people, he's probably just on sensory overload from all the visual stimulus. You can talk to North Texas Therapy Innovations about Occupational Therapy and Sensory Integration therapy that can help teach him to regulate his sensory system. The see LOTS of kids with ADHD.

Also, you could see Dr. Sheshagiri Rao here in Plano. His son has ADHD and he's a big researcher as far as finding out what combo of diet, meds, and such go together. He can do a "neuro focus" test to determine the RIGHT kind of meds if that ever became an option for you again. Since you don't want to do meds, he's fine with that too and can offer you a combo of vitamin and mineral supplements that might help. He might also suggest a dietary change such as the gluten-free casein-free diet (GFCF-- meaning no wheat and no dairy... it's VERY challenging) He used to be a pediatrician and after his son's diagnosis he became an immunologist. His located in Plano at Parker and Preston.

Another guy to go see is Dr. Charles Shidlofsky. He's an ophthalmologist who specializes in Prism Lenses. As a kid, he too had symptoms of ADHD and has had lots of patients with this diagnosis and these glasses with these specific lenses help a lot of kids focus better as these lenses are for visual processing and not just visual acuity. My son is getting them next year. We can't wait!

Another thing you can do is Listening Therapy. North Texas Therapy Innovations has a person certified in this program, however, they don't take insurance. It's all private pay. There's another occupational therapist who does listening therapy in East Plano named Anna Schevima at Eastside Speech and Language. My son (who hasn't been diagnosed yet with ADHD because according to the DSM-IV, you can't legally diagnos it until age 7, but I do suspect he will become diagnosed) has been doing The Listening Program for a couple of months now and I've seen wonderful changes in his focus and attention span. He's able to follow directions better too which eases a lot of frustration on my part :)

I think that's about all the non-med interventions I use for my son that I know of. Let me know if you need more information on any of these.

R.

HI L.,
I have heard of AWESOME results of children with ADD and ADHD coming off their meds to use glyconutrients (natural supplement). The Dallas Morning News (in the A section) has an entire one page informative ad for you to look at (the ads run everyday for the next 2 weeks). Please take the time to read them and call me if you have any questions. Also, www.Mannatech.com and www.glycoresources.com and www.glycoscience.org are wonderful websites for you to get more information.
Call or email me at ###-###-#### or ____@____.com I would love to hear from you and I understand your struggle - I was a Special Education teacher in the public school system before I decided to stay home with my wonderful 3 children and homeschool them. I saw alot of side effects with ADD meds. THere is hope for you :)
God Bless,
A.

Hi, L.. I'm no expert on this subject and you've probably heard this type of advice already, but I just wanted to give you a lead if you didn't have it. Have you tried a diet without any processed grains, corn syrup and sugar? I know alot of diets try to eliminate various "trigger" foods/colors, too. Here are a couple of sites I found:
http://www.newswithviews.com/Dean/carolyn27.htm
http://www.rxfreekids.org/

Good luck, J.

L.,

Check out Franklawlis.com. If you are not familiar with him, he is a Dr. in Lewisville that specializes in ADD. His preference is definitely to handle things without medication if possible. He has written a book called The ADD Answer which is good.

I would love to hear from you. My son is 7 so we are just beginning down the road.

Kim Farbisz

My heart feels for you as we have walked this path with our son. Our son was put on meds for his ADHD and as you have dealt with have had to change meds numberous times. At one point my son was on 3 meds; 1 for AHDH, 1 for anxiety, and one for sleep. We have taken him off all meds last December. He went through a withdrawal period under the supervision of his doctor and is in much better health. I would love to talk more with you about the process, please email me with your number or requesting mine if/when you want to talk. The right doctor is key and we finally found ours. Wishing you health and peace.

1 / 3