Walking Before Crawling

I was just wondering if anyone has heard that it is bad for a baby to walk before he/she crawls. My son wants to stand all the time but hates tummy time and I mean will flip out after 5min of tummy time plus he has acid reflex so when we pick him up he'll most likely throw up acid. Is this something to worry about if my son walks before he crawls.

I have NOT heard that it is bad to walk before crawling.

In fact, I am 34 years old and my mom tells me that I never learned to crawl as a baby. I started walking at about 8-9 months old.

No problems here. lol!

Don't worry! I thought my son, now 18 months, would skip crawling and go straight to walking because he HATED tummy time and spit up a lot whenever I put him down on his tummy. But I kept putting him down and one day my husband was working on the computer and he pulled himself towards him (the army crawl). He did the army crawl for about a month and then one day he started to crawl. Because it took him so long to crawl he didn't crawl for very long, but developmentally it is important to learn to crawl. Just keep putting him down for a couple of minutes a day and sit near him with something interesting (like his favorite toy). Good luck!

I don't think there is anything wrong with it, but there are many benefits to tummy time and crawling. Tummy time and crawling help to develop the chest and shoulder strength needed for many activities later, even handwriting. I had a teacher and OT once tell me that since we've started putting babies on their backs, they don't get nearly as much tummy time as they used to. They are now seeing a decrease in handwriting ability in Kindergarten kids that can be at least partially attributed to this decreased strength. Handwriting doesn't just happen in the hand.

So, I would keep trying the tummy time. Even a couple of minutes at a time is good and the more the do it, the easier it is for them.

S.,

The only concern about not learning to crawl is that the "alternative hand-foot" coordination in crawling builds the same part of the brain a child uses to read. It doesn't mean that your child will necessarily have a learning disability, just that reading may not come as naturally or that he will have to build that area of the brain through other means. In fact, in many remedial reading classes, teachers set up obsticle courses where the kids have to crawl to build that coordination and brain development.

Don't worry too much. All four of my children hated tummy time with a passion. We were lucky to get 10 seconds of tummy time out of them. Yet they all became excellent crawlers when they were between 8-10 months old. My oldest two could read well before entering Kindergarten and my 3 year old is starting to recognize words also.

I am a pediatric physical therapist. You will hear from many parents "my child walked first and never crawled, and they are fine". That's all peachy, but as a pediatric PT I can NOT stress enough the importance of tummy time (reflux or no reflux). Children need to be on their tummies to develop the muscles in the back of their neck and trunk, as well as for WEIGHT BEARING through their arms, which can affect hand strength, fine motor skills, and eventually hand-writing (I know, he's just a baby! crazy to think about handwriting, but in my profession, we have heard from many teachers that since "back to sleep" started, handwriting quality has decreased.) There are many children who skip crawling or seem to walk first; you still need to encourage play time on the floor and crawling games. Our general "rule" is that for every hour a baby is AWAKE, he/she should spend 20-30 minutes on his/her tummy. That may mean several 5 minutes sessions to start, with breaks in bewteen, and gradually increasing to 10 minutes and more. Monitor when you do tummy time as related to refulx. In terms of anatomy, being on your tummy actually helps stretch out the front of your neck and chest muscles, which in the long run actually can HELP reflux (rather than being tight and constricting in the front)and developmentally, we start of "flexed" (newborn scrunched up position) and tummy time is supposed to be the natural way of stretching that out and in turn strengthening in the back side of our bodies which were technically over-stretched from being scrunched up in a ball for so long. (I hope that makes sense) I don't think you need to discourage the fact that he likes standing--many babies do and should like this (depending on the age). But DO encourage tummy time--it will take time, toys, patience, and maybe even you or daddy to be on the floor with him at eye level. Hope that helps. I'll be curious to hear how many parents respond "My child never crawled and is "just fine' "! But now hopefully you have some knowledge as to WHY tummy time is important! Good luck. If you want more info, feel free to send me a personal message.

Not all babies crawl and it is ok. It's actually not an "official" milestone so don't worry, especially if your son is throwing up from being down on his tummy.

I am an adult that didn't crawl. It has affected me in the way that Terra said. My neck did not develop properly and is now straight instead of curved. I have pain in my neck because of it. I also did not develop my core muscle set and could never do sit-ups in school. I am on constant pain medication now (for the last 15 years) and still can't do a sit up. I am dyslexic and have trouble with eye-hand coordination. I also have a son that wouldn't sleep on his tummy. He learned how to flip himself over at 2 weeks so I couldn't even force him on his tummy. His head has a couple flat spots on it because of this. (I have seen helmets on kids to avoid this now. I didn't have that as an option.) I think it would be wise for you to continue to get him on his tummy and not encourage him to walk yet. Deal with the acid reflux, but even if he cries, he will develop good muscle tone from flailing about and strong lungs from crying. (Obviously, a little at a time.) I wish my mother had known to make me crawl, it might have saved me from a life time of pain.

Our son (who is now 2) walked at 10 1/2 months, and was never very interested in crawling. He turned out just fine!!

S., my advice to you is not to worry about it. Our son didn't crawl until AFTER he started walking at 14 months old! Now, at 2 years old, he's running around and not missing at beat. Obviously, if you are still concerned, speak with your doctor, but our son turned out just fine!

At ten and a half months my daughter still couldn't pull herself into a sitting position and didn't crawl. If we helped her into a sitting position she did great and even started pulling herself up to standing. But we took her to see a Physical Theripist because I wanted to make sure we were doing everything for her. (it worried me that she didnt pull u to sitting at that age.)

Anyway, they had me do an exercise to help her crawl and to move her tru the motion of sitting up from laying down. So if you want to help him learn to crawl, try putting him over your leg with hands and knees touching the floor in the crawling postion with your leg supporting his trunk. My daughter HATED this, but they had me hold her there even for just a minute and we did that a couple times one day and the very next day she started figuring out that she was okay in that position and started crawling. The day after that she figured out how to go to crawling position then to sitting up byherself...

I dont know if it's bad to skip crawling cuz many many people will tell you that it's not, but i choose to believe the PT people who actually go to school and study this stuff. I feel we should follow our guts and if you're nervous about it, look into it. You can never go back and do something about it later.

1 / 3