Walking - Conroe, TX

At what age and how did your children learn to walk? My son is 17 months with some health issues and is not walking yet but he is crawling.

My son is also 17 months and started walking right at 10 months. I don't know if this helped my son, but I bought one of those sit and push toys. You can convert the riding toy into a pushing toy and my son would walk with it. Initialy I would hold the front of the toy and guide it (so it would not give out in front of him) and let him push and walk with it. Good Luck. Every child is different.

My son started walking at 19 mos of age. He is now 4 and
very healthy. My son was obese when he was a toddler and
that was why he was a little late walking.

E. M

18 months is when the pediatrician will start looking for reasons that a child isn't walking yet. It could be that the health issues you mentioned are causing the delay. The pediatrician should be able to discuss that with you at your upcoming 18 month well check.

18 months is considered w/in the norm. Discuss it with your pediatrician at the 18 month checkup.

My friend's 3rd daughter was 18 months old, not walking and due for her check-up. Her oldest daughter walked just after she turned 18 months, so my friend, not wanting to have to deal with the pediatrician's concerns about her youngest not walking yet, called and postponed the 18 month checkup by one month. Sure enough, when they went to the checkup when she was 19 months, she was walking! Her 2nd child walked at around 12 months, very average. They all have their own timetables! FYI, my friend's oldest is exceptionally brilliant, was reading at age 4, but was just a late walker. I'm sure your son will be fine! :-)

Usually boys are later than girls but he should already start holding things and start walking. I kept walking mine around and around. Good luck.

Don't get discouraged. Every child is different. If he's crawling then he's also working on different parts of his brain that will help with learning. When children crawl they are working on their reading ability and the longer they crawl the easier it is for them to learn to read later. So don't get discouraged.

My son didn't start walking until 14 mths. I believe after 15 mths and not walking is where "they" actually draw a line and say it's delayed. My daughter has Down's, and we're working with her through ECI (Early Childhood Intervention). They are a federally and state funded program and they come to you. They have been WONDERFUL! Google "Early Childhood Intervention" and put in your location and you can look up their contact information. Call them and request services. It was so easy and doesn't break the bank. I can't recommend it highly enough. They showed me such little tricks that made the world of difference. She is only 6 mths now, and I am not mortified of her development. Not that I really ever was, outside of the diagnosis and prognosis of it itself, but where she was behind, she caught up in like a week or two. They can really, really help. Looking back, I wish I'd have known these things with my son.

E. M

1 / 3