Walker V. Exersaucer

Ladies,

our five month old loves to "stand" and to "pedal his feet". He isn't happy in his swing, insists on being upright, and hasn't managed a crawl. I'd love a walker, but I remember hearing these were dangerous.

A bit more about us. we live in a 2 bedroom apartment. with all hardwood floors. There are no stairs to contend with. DS is our one and only. We haven't any pets. I'm back to work full time. Hubby is in grad school. Hubby and my parent's split childcare while I am at work.

1. what are the safety concerns?
2. would you recommend a walker or exersaucer?
3. what features should we look for?
4. do these hinder proper walking/ crawling?
5. do they accommodate smaller children? (our son is at 5% weight and 50% height)?
6. do they grow with the child?
7. are there any which fold neatly away?
8. if we decide to use one, when will baby outgrow it or tire of it?

as always, thanks for all your help.

Hello, we chose an exersaucer over a baby walker because the AAP does not recommend walkers:
http://aapgrandrounds.aappublications.org/cgi/content/ext...

and more info:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-124329/Babywalk...

Lots of walkers are flexible and adjustable to your child.
It does not hinder their development. Mine was on a walker from 6mos on. He was just raring to go from the beginning, and the exersacuer only entertained him well for about a month.

We had a couple. One from Fisher Price had different levels of height adjustability, as well as the top came off for when he wanted to just play on the floor. It locked, too, for if you wanted him to stand still.

It lasted us for about 3 months. Once he started walking well on his own, he wanted nothing to do with it.
I don't think we'll even get it out for our daughter. We have play table (Fisher Price, Baby Einstein) that is great for standing and cruising. I think we'll just stick to that for DD.

Walkers got a bad wrap many years ago because of a few irresponsible parents that weren't watching their kids (one walked into an open fireplace).
Gate your stairs, babyproof, and supervise. They're just fine!

1. in your case, the possibilty of being able to reach something and pull it down on top of her, like a table cloth.
2. either is fine, my kids had a walker
4. I do not belive that they hinder walking/crawling in any way. I've heard otherwise. I look at it this way, all my friends and I had walkers when we were little and were fine now
5 & 6 - I think it depends on the model/brand. Most of them are made to be raised or lowered with 2 to 5 settings
7. the walker I have folds down, it wouldn't exactly say neatly - I don't know of an exersaucer that folds down
8. depends on your child and their size and development

Walker wasn't recommended by our pediatrician as we have stairs at home. Also, I have heard something about problems later on while walking on their own in babies who use walker a lot. I hate those push style walkers. Not safe at all. The ones where you can have baby kinda sit inside looks much safer. And isn't 5 months too early for walker? I am not sure about that (ask your doc) but I would wait couple more months to buy a walker.

We bought baby einstein exersaucer (Around the world, I think) for our son .It keeps him entertained for a while and peace of mind for me because I know he is safe in there. Yeah he did get bored with all the toys very soon. I give him his other toys while he is in there if he doesn't want to play with the exersaucer toys. He can turn around 360 degrees and also bounce, so he likes that. Also exersaucers are portable. I take it upstairs and use it while getting ready for work in the mornings or even in the restroon when I need to take a shower while my husbands not home to take care of the baby.But yes it takes up some space. There are height adjustments so it grows with baby. My son loved this initially. He didn't know which toy to play with , he would get so excited and scream. Then couple weeks later he was already bored, he would start crying when he realized I was putting him in that. He wouldn't even bemd his legs to get in there. I thought it's a waste of money. But then few weeks later he got back to enjoying it for a while. He is tall (30 + inches) now at 10 months and still uses it. I read somewhere that its bad for their legs to be in an exersaucer too for a long time , so 20 mins is the max I let him be there initially.

Also, check Jumperoos. I have heard they are lot of fun. I was too worried about it hurting his legs(I dont think it does, but I just worry a lot)

Anyways I think your baby will enjoy all these more when 7 months or so. But you can buy now so that you can get more use out of these toys.It's lot of money for few months of use. lol.

My baby LOVED the Fisher-Price Jumperoo.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2508003

If you scroll down a little, they have a little video that gives you a better idea of how big it is and its features.

I don't know if space is a concern in your apartment, but another option is the kind of jumper that hangs from a door frame. I've never used one, though so I can't give you much info. about it. I'm not even sure what they're called. Hope this helps :)

Our daughter walked unassisted at 6 months.. She loved the walker she has never had a problem from each.. We like you have all wooden floors. We also had doors in and out of every room, so we were able to block off any areas we did not want her wandering into.

,She also LOVED the doorway jumper.

FYI.. anyone that tells you early walking is bad for children... it is all an old wives tale. My husband also totally walked unassisted at 6 months. Our daughter was always an active child always an honors student even a National Merit scholar.

There was no way to stop her.. We always followed our child's needs and NEVER underestimated her abilities..

I have a walker yep, with wheels. We live in a 2 story house so we have steps. We keep all doors to the steps closed and only use the walker on the ground floor. My ds loves to follow me around while I clean, cook, etc... They adjust to how tall your child is with several settings and mine folds almost flat for easy storage. We choose not to by an exersaucer because I didn't want to have to drag it from room to room during the day. My ds is 7 months old and walking just fine. The doctor recommended against the walker because of the stairs, but we are extra careful around them.

Neither! Check out the Around We Go from Bright Starts (http://www.brightstarts.com/aroundwego/). It is so cool!! Instead of being in the center and just spinning in small circles in the exersaucer, the table is in the middle and the chair is on the outside. Your kid can run laps!! Really, they can. It can lock in to place at two different sections (piano and snack tray). Unlike an exersaucer, when your child doesn't need the seat anymore, you can remove it and you still have the center as a play area for them. It really was one of the best things my kiddo ever had.

I chose an exersaucer and a "door hanger" bouncy seat... did not go with a walker doc said they hinder the walking, not sure if it is true or not but I liked those two options better... door hanger is great for when you are doing laundry, shower, cooking etc depending on where your doorways are mine were perfectly located ... it hangs over the door molding or what ever those are called ... saucers grow taller as they do and they can bounce in them too and my son could do a full 360 in his too!

http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Bumper-Jumper-Little-Jungle/d...
mine was cheaper at once upon a child ...

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1T4ADRA_enUS41...#

same for this too!

1 / 3