Waiting for the Surprise

Hi Moms,
My husband and I found out by ultrasound that our 1 1/2 year old would be a girl. Our new baby, due in August, was not so cooperative and crossed it's legs for the pictures! I know lots of people wait for the surprise, but I am really a planner, and want to start buying a few things. What clothes items for an August baby are a necessity that I should have when I come home from the hospital? I don't want to buy a lot, but the season is different than when I had my daughter, and I want to be ready! Thanks so much!
E.

Thanks for all the terrific ideas! I did buy some neutral stuff, but, I must confess... I had another ultrasound and we peaked- It's a boy! Thank you all for your ideas. I am not buying too much just in case the tech was wrong!! :)

E.,

I to did not know the gender of my fisrt baby ( girl), or my twins(girls). It was so much fun to be delivering twins and not knowing if it was 2 girls, 2 boys, or one of each. The only pain was having to pick out 2 boys and 2 girls names.

Anyway, I would think since the baby will be born in August, they will mostly be in onesies, so not to worry about gender specific clothing. And honestly it did matter which color clothing I had on my girls because people would still ask "are they boys or girls"?

Good luck with the new one.

Hello. Both my boys were August babies (20th and 25th). With the first one it was still warm and I could get away with the one piece outfits and shorts. My second one was in pants and shirts from the get go - maybe in warm weather clothes three times and he was last summer when it was so hot. By the time I had him the weather had changed (of course). So I have one set of each - warm weather (shorts) and cooler weather (short sleeves and pants). Sorry this doesn't help much - it all depends on the kind of fall and/or indiana summer we have.

Good Luck.

I suggest buying a couple newborn packs of short sleeve side-snap undershirts (they look like little kimonos with two snaps). Gerber and others make them, and they are nice for when you are waiting for the baby's cord to come off. I've seen summer babies just living in those and a diaper! Our son was born in late October, so it was getting chillier, so we bought the long sleeve version, which Gerber also has. Other than that, I'd just get some unisex baby gowns and socks, of course, for chillier nights. They make frequent diaper changes easy and the baby's legs are free to kick. I'm sure friends and family will take care of "going out" and special occasion outfits, so don't bother stocking up on those. God bless!

I understand...I am a planner too and I like the surprise at the ultrasound...not delayed. :) I figure it's a suprise either way...it's just a matter of when. My second son was uncooperative at first, but they finally got a good guess that he would be a boy. Anyway, as far as planning. Sounds easy with being due in August. Warm enough to just wear onesies. You probably have onesies from the first baby. Any that aren't pink or purple just in case?? :) They are good for all seasons...under clothes for extra warmth in the winter and alone in the summer. Diapers don't matter for gender, so I don't think you really NEED to plan much for gender...it's just fun to do so. :) Best wishes to you!!!! Exciting times!!! :)

Hi E.,

I am with you, I am a total planner...but I have 2 children now, a boy and a girl, and I am expecting our newest addition in July. I didn't know the sex of any until the were born. I agree with all of the other moms, summer babies don't require much clothing.
The only thing I wanted to add was that with all of my babies I went to the hospital with one really cute girl outfit and one really cute boy outfit that way I was prepared, and their first little picture wasn't of them in a onsie...then I exchanged the wrong outfit and bought another cute gender specific one when I had my first chance.

ONESIES!!! TSHIRTS!!! August is hot! your little one will most likely be lounging around in these for his/her first month of his/her life. I had the same situation with our daughter...she was breach or had her legs crossed or was facing the wrong way! it wasnt until i was almost 30 week along till she finally decided to let us know that she was a girl! so dont fret too much! and there are alot of neutral colored items that are cute for either a boy or a girl! trust me! i had to register for my baby shower before we knew the sex! I found tons of neutral stuff!

E.,

Good luck with the new one.

I have an August baby (now 7.5 mos. old). Side snap t-shirts and onesies with snaps (not overhead). Also, there are SUV-protection sunhats if you have a baldie like mine was (and still is). Its a light fabric hat with a brim so it won't get stuffy but will allow sunprotection without using suntan lotions which i hear are a no no (i think you can the hat at babycenter.com's store or onestepahead.com probably). We also like the BundleMe Light on our stroller because it provides some nice protection from the sun. We got a mosquito net for the stroller and used it a couple of times when it was REALLY buggy. This year should bring back those Secada insects for a couple of weeks (the ones that creep up every 17 years) so it may not be a bad idea.

I couldn't wait either...but more so as we were having heated "discussions" about girls names and he turned out to be a boy - whew
Everyone else's suggestions are what I would say also :>)
you might want to get a couple of the long sleepers with legs for night, we used the nighties initailly but our little wriggler managed to get them up around his waist so we went to the long sleepers.
H&M has cute neutral stuff as well, and you will find all the summer stuff on the sale rack by August anyway.
Have a great time with baby number two.

1 / 3