Wacky Hair Day...Suggestions Needed

This is a completely frivolous question!

Friday is wacky hair day at my son's elementary school. Like most boys, my son has insisted on keeping his hair kinda shaggy/long-ish (ala Justin Bieber/Jones Bros/Zac Efron) and so spiking it up is really not an option. I would like to put some fun colored streaks in his hair but without making it permanent or going to a salon and paying for it.

What can I use? Waaaay back in the day, I seem to recall using packets of Kool-aid or Jello (mixing in a little water) and streaking that through our hair in middle school. Does this sound right? The 80s were a long time ago and so maybe I am remembering this wrong?

Anyway...Any fun/natural/at-home hair streaking ideas would be appreciated!

http://www.ehow.com/how_###-###-####_dye-hair-jello.html

Also I think something like shaving cream would offer a "temporary" spiking hold too. You could try it tonight and see if it holds well when it dries. It may look crispy, but I think it's a relatively safe one day way to hold it. They do have hair products at WalMart that offer SUPER holding power too.

I assume most boys would do the mohawk thing. What about going for the "Wolverine" look (from X Men)? That'd be a cool/modern superhero way that most other boys probably wouldn't think of, but would be super cool.

I used to mix a little conditioner with acrylic paint. I would paint it on in streaks. It washed out with shampoo. With some colors there would be residual stain for a little while but it fades fast. A little bit of dish soap gets the rest out faster.

Hi K.. My son attends the same elementary school as yours, and he has really long hair too. You can buy non-permanent color sprays at Party America by Byerly's (or whatever the party store is called now). We are going to try to get 3 colors. I haven't bought any for a couple of years, but that is where I used to get the colored sprays. It's not natural, but it's not permanent either. (Just be careful--last year Wacky Hair Day coincided with a baseball game in the evening. My son got green hair spray all over the inside of the batting helmet!)

koolaid can stay in the hair a little longer. However they do have colored sprays or gels that you can purchase.

Careful with kool-aid or jello. I think it does work for most people, but I know one girl with light blonde hair that hair blue hair until it grew out after using kool-aid and it was a rather bright blue.

Looks like you have lots of other good ideas of places to buy spray in that won't last long. Hope he has a great wacky hair day

Claire's, target and Kids hair sell spray hair colors that wash out easily. It's like colored hair spray in vibrant colors. In Target's hair product aisle there are freezing products that will work to spike up even long boys hair. We got my son's hair into a huge mohawk that lasted all day!

I would do a bunch of braids, all different colors.
One thing you could use that is not "girly" like ribbon is lanyard string [the plastic string used to make key chains] and just braid it in, or stick it in the binders of a whole bunch of pony tails. That would be colorful and much less work.
In fact, it would be very easy to make a sort of wig from that stuff too.
Or you could get one of those Halloween "wigs" that is actually a bald head, and he could go as the wacky-no-hair kid.
I agree with the other posters...get the spray-on colors if you want to go that route. I also put Kool-aid in my hair when I was younger, and I remember the colors sort of mixed into a brownish red which was not was I was going for! and the red color also did not wash out right away

If you tease it enough you can get the Edward Scissorhands effect pretty easily, never mind color.

I did that for my son's wacky hair day with food coloring, I think. It worked fine.

I've also put multiple rubber bands in my son's hair -- it's longish like your son's. He looked pretty wacky with little pony tails sticking up all around.

1 / 3