waCan A Single Mom Join the Army

Can a single mom join the army and if so what are the requirements? I have one son he's 6. His father has never been there for him. My family helps alot.. jobs are very hard to come by and I think this would be very benefitial for us? Also I was actually thinking about army reserves instead of active duty..any thoughts on the difference between the two considering my situation would be appreciated. It would be hard on both me and my son. It would be very difficult to be away from him for long periods of time but as hard as it WILL be im thinking of our future.

I talked to a recruiter today and I've decided not to join any branch of the military for the simple reason I don't know if I could be 100% comitted to it. What I mean is its very demanding both physically and mentally..and I don't know if I could focus on the job being away from my son months or yrs at a time..he is my everything and I couldn't imagine going one day without seeing him!I am all he has and if something were to happen he wouldn't have a parent.

Yes. My cousin was sent overseas when her baby was 2 months old. She left her baby with her mom and went for a few month term. I was second in line to watch her baby if her mom decided not too! You make a lot of money in a short amount of time, but I can't imagine being away from my kids.

Yes they can, You will have to fill out a family care plan which states what you will do if you get deployed. different branches have different requirements. Age limits for one are different. Army is 41. Good luck!!!

why would you want to I'm sure it would be terribly hard on the child

So you're going to possibly take 2 parents away from your son? I don't want to sound mean but with our situation in the middle east, you could very easily be deployed. How is a 6 year-old going to possibly understand that it's for his future?

If you do decide that this is what you have to do though, please do your research on actually receiving your benefits - I've heard rumblings about delays in receiving benefits with so many soldiers deployed today. And I could be wrong, but I'd have to believe that reserves would be even further down the line for priority of benefits.

My DH was an army recruiter three years ago. You MUST surrender your custody to someone else before you can even enlist. Active Duty life is not compatible with being a single parent. What Beth is talking about is true, 10 years ago you COULD go in as a single parent. 10 years ago was PEACE TIME. You WILL be deployed, it will happen.

Hours for childcare are nuts too. You have to be at PT about 5:30 am and then return home around 8am. You shower and eat and get back to work at 9am and then work until you are released, which is not the same time every day. You would not really be able to bring him with you to wherever you are stationed, and you WILL deploy.

Army deployments are a year at a time. Plus weeks or months in the field training on a regular basis. Reserves can be better, but deployment is 18 months with them (6 month refresher training away from home, you cannot bring him with you, and then 12 months in the combat zone) We just left 10 years of military service because it was so terrible on our kids (ages 4.5 and 8) Good luck

Ignore the people who are saying don't do it.

You can absolutely do it! Yes, times will be stressful, but you'll feel better about the whole situation in the long run. It's a guaranteed job with benefits and it can help you and your son.

Depending your job, you may not have to go overseas. If you'd like to know the jobs that are most likely to keep you here and give you a good job once you get out, email me. I'll tell you what my husband did.

*hugs*

Please do not put your son in that position! I can guarantee you that his future will be MUCH better if you stay in his present. You will be hurting him rather than helping if you leave him.

Edited - DON'T ignore the people telling you not to do it. Read all the feedback you got here, talk to reps of various military branches, talk to any friends with military experience, do your own research, & then, and only then, make your own, informed decision.

I can understand why you want to do it, but is it really beneficial for your family in the long run?

You say the dad is not in the picture. There is no guarantee (especially now) that you won't get deployed. How is your son going to feel when you get deployed & are gone, too? He needs a stable parent at home. I hear over & over again from military families that the mom is essentially a single mom when the husband is deployed, so your son would be parentless if you got deployed, pretty much. It's hard enough on kids when dad is gone for a year at a time, but I can't imagine how difficult it would be when both parents are gone.

What about reliable childcare? Do you have someone you trust THAT MUCH to watch your son while you are gone? You could be gone for months or years at a time. Are you prepared to have someone else raise your son, potentially? And would you feel fine with putting that burden on someone else indefinitely? It will grossly affect someone else's life, to drop everything to be your son's caretaker for an indefinite amount of time. Are you prepared to miss out on all those milestones, class awards, sports, achievements, etc? You can't get any of that back.

What about going to community college & working part time in your city? If you're a single mom with no job & no support coming in from your son's father, you are in a good position to get government aid, if you don't already. Most likely you would qualify for free schooling, daycare, etc. I would look into that before taking the drastic move of enrolling in the military. It would be more beneficial to your son to have at least one parent present & active in his life & not tied to the crazy lifestyle that the military can bring. I know the lure of money & benefits is tempting, but please think it through.

I'm sure you can but I have to agree with Jane why would you want to? I could not imagine how hard it would be on your son. It's hard enough when one parent in a two parent home is gone but you are his everything.

Why not consider a trade school degree that you can get in a year and then go to work and not have the thought of possible deployment on your mind?

1 / 3