Vomiting with Strep

I posted a question about 3 weeks ago now about my child having strep. Well 2 weeks later she ended up with Strep again. The first sign was vomiting. She didn't vomit when she had it two weeks ago but this time she vomits everyday. Its usually at night after she has gone to bed, she wakes and vomits in her crib. She has been vomiting every day, usually once for 6 days now. Can anyone else out there tell me if their child vomited that long after being put on an antibiotic? One more thing, she saw the pediatrician Saturday and was put on an antibiotic. I took her to the ENT Monday and he switched her antibiotic to Augmentin. I'm not sure if it is the antibiotic that is now causing the vomiting or if it is still strep but I just figured by now she wouldn't be vomiting anymore.

B., I dont envy you with a sick baby....that is so hard. When my little girl was about that same exact age the Dr. put her on Augmentin for an ear infection, the Augmentin made her even sicker. She was vomiting and had diareha. I just stopped giving it to her, I felt like I was torchering her. You might need to take her back to the Dr. . If I remember right Augmentin has penecillin in it . I was told for now on to tell Drs. my little girl is allergic to penicil. I hope she gets better soon.
Good Luck ! A.

Most likely it's the Augmentin causing the vomiting. Make sure she has some food in her stomach before giving it. The fact that she has strep again after a prior antibiotic treatment indicates the stain of strep was resistant to that medication. Ask her doctor to do a culture to find out which strain of strep she has so she can get the right medicine. There are several strains out there. I once had strep for over a month despite antibiotics. It wasn't until after a culture was done that the doc figured out what to give me to cure it.

My mom ended up with C-Diff after taking antibiotics, which I had never heard of until then. So, while this is probably not what your daughter has, I thought I'd pass along this link so that you would have this information about potential antibiotic use reactions: http://www.cdiffsupport.com/aboutcdiff.html

Best of luck to you and yours--

a friend of mine has a little boy that had mono and he was
vomiting and running a fever and wouldnt eat. she took him to the ER and they gave him anitb. and sent him home and told her make sure he didnt get dehydrated. so he ate popsicles and they said it would go on for a couple of weeks then he would start feeling better. my daugther was on augmentin when she had her ear infect. and it worked great for her. check the paper that you get from the drug store and see what the side affects are. i cant take sulfa drugs and thats what they give with a kidney infection. just as soon as i get the med down it comes back up and my daughter is the same she cant take anything with sulfa in it. when i had her they put me on magnesiamsulfat, i had preaclamcia, so i thru up for 2 days

It is probably the antibiotic. Try giving your child some milk when giving the medicine.

Good Luck ! A.

Yes, it could be the medicine. Everytime any of my kids have this med. they always vomit. I make sure that they eat something before and after they take the med. This seems to help, and anything you can get them to eat will work.

You did not say what antibiotic her Pediatrician gave her but the Augmentin is stronger but you need to make sure she takes after she has eaten. when my children were little they had strep one week the next would be ear infection then sinus infection then strep again every year by Feb. we always met our insurance deductible. we moved from Mississippi to Fla they still got sick but not as often.my daughter is 28 she still gets sick.

Antibiotics u pset the normal flora of the g ut therefore it is very important to replace t hat flora, by giving her a good probiotic from the health food store. They have probiotics that are specifically for young children. Give the probiotic between doses of antibiotic and for several months after you stop it. I suspect that the balance of good versus bad flora is upset because she is on so many antibiotics. Be sure not to give her any dairy because it produces mucus and acid that bad bacteria love to thrive on. If she is nursing, nurse her as much as possible as breast milk is alkaline and discourages bacterial growth. Give her fruits and veggies if she is eating solids for further enhancement of alkalinity in the body. did the doctor do a culture before starting antibiotics? It is important to know the strain of bacteria and if the antibiotic is appropriate or if it is a virus instead. Her GI tract is upset by the augmentin. All antibiotics are hard on the digestive system.
Sincerely,
B. S. RN CCM

1 / 3