Vomiting During the Middle of the Night.....

My daughter is 16 months old and has been vomiting in the middle of the night about 5-6 nights a week for the last 3 or 4 weeks. She did have the flu for a week about 2 weeks ago, but that has passed. She usually has a bottle right before or as she goes to sleep. We have tried different brands of milk and that has not changed anything. She keeps milk down during the day just fine. My husband and I are worried every night as she doesn't cry or anything when this happens, so we don't know that she's been sick until we get her up in the morning. We are worried about her choking! Any suggestions?

Thanks to everybody that responded! I got quite a few tips to try and have decided to contact the Dr. He said to bring her in to run some tests to make sure it's not anything more serious than a cold or flu. Thanks again!

I went through the same thing with my twins when they were that young. They are 7 now. I had to stop giving them milk after 6 pm. They had water only. Have you tried taking the milk away. It worked for us!

My daughter had the same thing and it passed in about a week and a half. I think it was some sort of virus.

As a pediatric nurse, I think it is very important that you take your daughter to see her pediatrician. Vomiting in the middle of the night could be something as simple as reflux or it could be a sign of a more serious health problem. Either way, her doctor can help. Good luck.

My friend has this problem with her two year old. He was throwing up in the middle of the night for no apparent reason, but he would actually get up and wake her. He was not sick, changing his drink didn't help. It turns out that he has problems with his tonsils and adnoids. He needs to have his tonsils removed but they need to wait until hes 3 which means many sleepless nights ahead for her. I am not saying this is the case with you but check it out. It could be acid reflux or something like that too. Have you tried water instead of milk?

Maybe she has reflux? My 4 month old daughter has it and if we lay her down to bed too soon after having a bottle she will vomit much of it back up. To resolve her issue, we now keep her upright for at least 30 minutes after giving her a bottle.

I also have an 18 month old who vomits throughout the night, but in her case she can't breathe through her nose because she is full of phlegm. However during the day she is fine. She does have a cold and a runny nose and I think at night it becomes worse. What we have found is that by giving her any kind of milk it enhances the phlegm. Therefore I would suggest that you give your child anything but milk at night. This might cut the vomitting out. It has worked for us lately.

Even though she is not throwing up the milk, doesn't mean that is not what is making her sick. My friend's daughter, now 6 can not drink milk on hot days because she ends up getting sick. She starts playing, gets hot, and then gets sick, like she drank bad milk. So maybe your child sleeps really hard and gets hot at night and that milk ends up making her sick.

Have you had her checked for acid reflux? Both my son &daughter had it, and it is worse @ nite, (while they lay flat). Before you see your DR., you may want to just try elevating her head by putting a wedge under her mattress, and see if that makes a difference. Maybe try to give her a feeding a little earlier @ nite a well, as so her food can digest before laying flat. Hope you find a solution! Good luck. S. E.

1 / 3