Vomiting - Los Angeles,CA

My two yearold is vomiting and dose not have a fever what should i do?

Give her liquids like pedialyte or Gatorade, no dairy or junk foods for a couple of days just easy to digest things. If the vomiting doesn't stop within 24 hrs I would take her to the Doctor.

If it is projectile vomitting call your pediatrician, if it is regular vomitting, give some liquids. He may just have an upset tummy!

Do you think it is something he/she ate that is upsetting his/her tummy? Any other symptoms like diarrhea?Has he/she been around anyone recently that has been sick? Was he/she near any type of substance that he/she shouldn't have been like cleaning detergent or any toxic chemicals? I would call your doctor and make them aware. It is possible it is some type of flu bug in which case I would give him/her only clear fluids like pedialyte in small doses at 20 minute increments. If he/she keeps that down for several hours then try bland, starchy foods like pasta, potatoes or dry toast (think BRAT diet). Good luck!
A.

Take him to the Doctor.
Vomiting can be due to various causes.

Make sure your little one gets liquids if they can keep them down.
The other thing my dad did with me was to put a cool washrag on the back of my neck. He told me it was magic and it would stop the vomitting. It worked. I did the same with my kids.
Actually there is some truth to the constricting of the muscles in the back of your neck that can give relief.
It's worth a try.
My son went through a vomitting phase and it turned out to be acid reflux. He threw up like crazy, especially at night, no fever, and felt better after he threw up.
Just try to make sure your little one doesn't get dehydrated and if it continues, consult the doctor. It could be many different things.

Best wishes.

Hold the bucket. He probably just has a virus. If it is continuous then
call doc but probably is just a 24 hour bug. Hang in.

My 15 year old started vomiting today too. I am giving her lots of fluids and she is resting. (rubbing her back when she gets sick and disinfecting the house) That is about all you can do for now.

The advice I was always given by my children's pediatrician was to wait after they throw up for a half hour or so before giving them anything so the stomach has a chance to settle. Then give tiny sips every 15- 20 minutes (I usually start w/ plain water, then move to gatorade or pedialyte when they can keep water down) After you've done this for an hour or so, and he hasn't thrown up, increase to larger sips every 5-10 min. If he's still doing ok, keep increasing the amount of water you give and let him have it more often. If he's doing ok after 3 or 4 hours, you can try Pedialyte, if he'll take it. None of my kids liked it, so I gave them Gatorade, which they all like. If they are still doing well after a few hours, and start saying they are hungry, try popsicles- not the real fruit ones, something like Hoodsie Pops or the tubes you buy at room temp. and stick in the freezer. Plain chicken broth is good too. I usually make broth with a bouillion cube (like in the hospital) because it's salty, and they seem to crave it after having been sick ( the only time they like it, which is just as well). If all goes well, stick with the BRAT diet for 24 hrs, or so (bananas, rice, applesauce, plain white toast).
You could also try JELLO, pretzels, and other easy to digest foods. Avoid dairy products for at least another 12- 24 hours.

If he is not even able to keep water down, contact the pediatrician. Little ones dehydrate very quickly, much faster than we do. My parents nearly lost my younger brother to dehydration when he was 2 because they waited too long to take him to the hospital.

Hope he feels better soon!! :)

1 / 3