Vocabulary of a 1 Year Old???

I was just wondering how many words a 1 year old should have in there vocabulary? I have two girlfriends with boys around the same age and one of them had 15 to 20 words in spanish and english by the time he was one! And the other I still have only heard say da da, to everything! I have heard that boys are so busy doing things that they will sometimes put speaking on the back burner? My son is only 5 months now but i'm just wondering for future reference what I should be looking for?

My son didn't say a word until he was 2. His first word was helicopter. Just because they aren't speaking doesn't mean they don't know what's going on.

It totally depends on the child. In general, I would say girls speak first but have less motor skills and boys are early movers and later speakers. My son didn't speak any words until 19 months. Then he took off like a rocket! He is now speaking in short sentences..he's 27 months old.

Every child is different as well as boys are a little behind then girls. I use to run a daycare with 300 kids. Every child was different. Are you talking about a new 1 or a 1 1/2 etc... My daughter had probably 7 words around 14 months... but like I said every child is different. Her is what the state has for ECI for Early Childhood Intervention.

I'm 3 months old! I...
turn toward bright colors and lights
follow moving toys or faces with my eyes
recognize or know the bottle or breast
respond to loud or new sounds
reach for and grasp toys or hair
wiggle and kick my legs and arms
lift my head and shoulders up while on stomach
smile back at parents or other family members
make sounds, like gurgling, cooing or babbling

I'm 6 months old! I...
turn toward voices
reach for toys and pick them up
roll over front-to-back and back-to-front
play with my toes
help hold bottle during feedings, if bottle fed
know faces of family members
babble, squeal, and repeat vowel sounds, like ooh, -ae, -e
sit by leaning on my hand

I'm 9 months old! I...
copy sounds or gestures
reach for crumbs or other small things with my thumb and fingers
move toys from one hand to the other hand
I straighten my arms to support myself when I'm on my stomach
understand the word "No"

I'm 12 months old! I...
respond to my name
may be scared of strangers
look for an object if you hide it from me, even if I can't see it
crawl on my hands and knees
pull myself to a standing position
walk by holding onto furniture
can drink from a cup with your help
enjoy playing games, like peek-a-boo or patty cake
say 1 to 2 words

I'm 15 months old! I...
use gestures
like to look at pictures in a book
can hold a crayon in my fist
hand toys to you when you ask me
can point to pictures you name, if the things in the picture are familiar to me
walk alone without help

I'm 18 months old! I...
like to pull and push things
follow simple directions
pull off shoes and socks
feed myself sometimes
step off low objects and keep balance
turn 2 to 3 pages of a book at a time
can point to one body part
can name one object
like to copy your words or actions

HTH

E.

Your DS is so young. I would not get into comparing. As the previous poster mentioned, a new 1 would be VERY different from 1.5 or almost 2 yr old. And, kids develop differently although they are on the normal range. My pediatrician mentioned at 18 mon, they start to put two words together instead of just one word. My DS was a late walker (17 mon) but he could tell you the letters of the alphabet that he could pronounce. Right before age 2 he could say "The car has wheels." Right before age 3, he could read sight words. I would say he is less physically daring than other kids his age. That's fine for a mom, but I'm sure if my hubby was the SAHD, he would have encouraged more of the physical stuff.

I think every child is different. A friend of mine had his son reciting his ABCs by the time he was 18 months old. We are a bit more focused on play and exploration so our son who is now 21 months old is just starting to learn them. My son did not really say much more than mama, dada, dog, ball and a few others until just recently when he is spatting out several word phrases. So I think you just need to determine what your goals are for your son and let him develop from there.

Vocabulary of a 1 year old makes little difference in the tale of life, as long as he is hiting those developemental milestones he is great! Don't start compareing now. Its a merry go 'round that you can never win but you can get off the ride.

I did the same thing as you when my boys were younger… asked myself if they were developing at an average pace. The truth is, they are just all SO different.

My older son didn’t walk until he was 18 months old, everyone told be that he had “issues” and now he is in Private Kinder (because too young) and testing out at a 6.75 year level although he just turned 5. He spells 5 letter words and is staring to read.

My little guy walked at 10 months but didn’t talk until he was 2 1/2, and again everyone was concerned that he might be “different”. Now he is 3 ½ and his pre-school teacher is testing him at a pre-K level. He reads with his brother and counts to the 100s.

Forget about what everyone says is “Normal” and let everyday be magical for you and your family!

E.

Honestly, I think there is a wide range of acceptable. My son still had pretty much no words by age 2 and so he did go to speech therapy. The therapy helped, but I also think he was finally "ready" because he started talking in sentences.

My daughter is now almost 2 and she is also a late talker. She has just in the last month started talking. But, she is really talking up a STORM.

I think if they are not talking by 18 months, then you need to start having conversations with your pediatrician.

1 / 3