Vitamin Water for Kids?

I am wondering if anyone knows if vitamin water is ok for kids. They seem to be good. Vitamins and very low sugar. No fake sugar. I don't give the ones with Taurine in them, but the ones with zinc, calcium, potassium I do give my daughter (also, never any caffeine, guarana, ginseng, etc). Just wondering if there are any potential harms or if anyone has an informed opinion about them. Thanks

I know there was recently a news report about people getting too much vitamins because of the vitamin water. My peditrician prescribed vitamins for my kids and then told me to switch to multi vitamin like Flintstones chewables.

my two cents:
vitamin waters contain too much sugar, even if it only looks like a little bit. kids don't need it. not to mention, if you feed you kids processed foods such as conventional breads, cereals, juice, etc., they are supplemented completely already. in addition, if you happen to give them vitamins it's just too much. wasteful. stick to water or electrolyte water, no sugar added. smart water and whole foods 365 electrolyte water are great examples of good water to give kids if you feel that tap water is just not good enough. but really try to avoid the sugar, and keep them away from the herbs too. not necessary for them at all. hope this helps.
D. :o)

If it's a choice between vitamin water and soda, I'd take the vitamin water (with no stimulants). But if its a choice between vitamin water and plain H2O, I'd stick with good, clean water if your child will drink it.

Children's vitamins plus a reasonably good diet will give most kids everything they need. Of course, toddlers go through stages when we worry that they are not eating enough. But I think we risk misdirecting their natural appetite when we give them "engineered" products in order to quell our worries.

I believe that early beverages are best kept simple, mainly because kids could become bored with plain water, nature's most excellent drink, and demand beverages that involve jazzy flavors, more expense, and questionable value.

In my humble opinion, my kids need to learn to drink water, the staple of life, without it being colored and sweetened. I also don't feed them junk food like gold fish crackers (white flour and shortening), animal crackers (white flour and sugar), fruit snacks (sugar), candy (except for a rare treat), soda or juice (sugar), etc etc etc. I save tons of money, and they eat real foods like fruit, whole grain breads, etc.

I rep for a Manufacturing Company so I thought you might enjoy some info. There is very good marketing on TV and you'll see vitamin water, Calcium in Everything. Doesn't mean it is usable minerals. I won't take anything with calcium added because it is an inorganic calcium and you can end up with calcium deposits since the body doesn't know what to do with an inorganic calcium. The body also cannot utilize vitamins if it cannot get minerals. Most products on the marketplace have cheap inorganic minerals so not only are they not bio-available they can create deposits. So beware of all the enticing marketing. If you would like more information you are welcome to email me.
N. B.

Vitamin water contains high frutose corn syrup, which is bad to consume for any age. Real sugar would be better. Only giving your child juice during meal time and not in between is the best way to decrease the occurance of obesity.

I have heard that the vitamin water has sugar in it - which we are trying to avoid in our house - not to mention the high fructose corn syrup! I figure it's just another fancy way for someone to sell me a product and make a buck...all the while labeling it with "water" in the name so I feel it's good for me or my kids.

We just give a Flintstones vitamin daily, and regular food with a good variety of nutrients. The kids drink water, lemonade (homemade with lemon juice, so I can control the sugar), and milk.

At this age, your daughter will be exposed to only what you choose to give her - so be thoughtful about what you are purchasing to drink, read labels, etc. The up side is that you can save money by doing this as well.

My kids LOVE the flintstones vitamins and I have never had one refuse it. They're sweetened after all, so they think its like candy!

Hi R.,

If you read the labels on most flavored waters, they have sugar and even sodium, and like others mentioned high fruictose corn syrup, plus the makers can't even guarantee that you'll get the same amount in one bottle as the next has, so we can reason that we don't know that they are putting the right amount(or even what they say they're puting) of vitamins in them. And like the one poster mentioned, these doses were not meant for children, anyway.

I agree, plain water only for kids, especially little ones. And if you *must* give kids a "special" water, there are special waters meant only for kids. You could also flavor regular water different ways: add a little bit of unsweetened Kool-Aid powder, lemon, lime, 100% fruit juice, frozen fruits, or make them an herbal tea w/no caffeine. Those come in many different flavors.

Hope that helps, :o)

K. W

Just make sure that they are not getting an overdose of anything. You have to be careful because a lot of "kid foods" are fortified with vitamins. When you add them all up, they could be getting too much.
Although some don't matter...like Vitamin C, if you take too much, it just come out in your pee. But too much of others can have harmful side effects.

1 / 3