Vitamin Supplements..yes or No

I recently took my 4 month old daughter to her wellness checkup and her pediatrician recommended her to start on a daily dose of vitamin supplement with iron. I bought the stuff and attempted to give it to my daughter and the stuff smells horrible! She accidentally got some of it on her hands and it stained her nails. Is this normal? I really don't want to give this stuff to her not knowing if she is deficient in certain vitamins. They didn't do a blood test or anything to see if she really needed this vitamin supplement. I looked online for some research and I found one website that said too much vitamins can be bad for a child. Since I am exclusively breastfeeding her, she should be getting all the vitamins she needs, right? I'm wondering what other moms might think about this or if anybody has gone through this like me. Thanks for your input!

Hi. I didn't have time to read all the responses. But we have an adopted daughter and she had high lead levels when we got her so the dr. put her on the Poly Vi Sol with Iron. She told us to mask it with food, so I never tried to give it to her straight. So she gets a shot of it in her morning bottle.

9 months later - she had blood work done last week and all her levels are normal and healthy, but we are still going to keep her on them.

Mimi,
Ask the doctor to do a vitamin panel if you are concerned about giving her something she may not need. If you are still taking a prenatal vitamin and she is exclusively breast fed, she probably does not need it. They can just test for iron defiency also. It may be standard "practice" to start babies on vitamins -but even if on formula they already have vitamins in it also.

As for giving the vitamins, I always gave in a little juice or mixed with one of the formula bottles.

If you're exclusively breastfeeding and still taking your pre-natal vitamins (with iron), then your daughter should not need supplements. Breastmilk is the perfect food provided the mother has a good diet and quality supplements. The body will deprive the mother's body of nutrients such as calcium before it will not include them in the breastmilk (my sister learned this the hard way as she had lots of dental problems while nursing). The best thing you could do would be to get your doctor to measure your nutritional status to see if you have issues. Things like ferritin, vitamin B12, folate, magnesium, calcium are some of the most important. IF the mother is deficient, the child could have problems once they wean.

Please ask the doctor if you can use something else if it is really needed and do not give this to your baby. I had to take this as a baby, I was born in 1980, because I was born anemic. Of course at the time they started giving this to me I did not have any teeth, well when my teeth started coming in they were stained because of this liquid iron. To this day at 28 years of age they are still slightly stained and there is nothing the dentist can do because it stained my gums as a baby and the stain is all the way through my teeth, so scraping the enamel or whitening won't work. I say don't give this to your baby and if something is really needed after a blood test, they usually just prick the finger or heel, then see what other options you have. Good luck!

If your dr said to give her the supplement(PolyVisol?) than I would do what is told. Remember you are breastfeeding exclusively and this is probably why the dr recommended the supplement. Yes the stuff smells horrible and the taste is no better. This is your first child and you will probably question everything but if this is something the dr said do I would. It would be different if a family friend or family member had told you to do this.

I gave my son and daughter this same supplement and even though I thought it was horrible, they did not have a big problem with it. My nieces and nephews have also used this when they were that age until age 12 months. As a side note, all of the children, nieces and nephew included do not have stained teeth and have had no dental problems. As a matter of fact, their teeth came in perfect. There was no other side effects that hurt them in any fashion. The stuff is measured out and can only be given too much if you give her to much. Wouldn't you as mom want to err on the side of caution versus not give the supplement and delays happen as your child gets older?

Lastly, I would only stress that the dr is not going to suggest something that will do harm to your child.

Yep, I gave that stuff to my daughter too. It tastes nasty and it stains everything. I exclusively breastfed my daughter until she was 6 months old. I did continue to give her the vitamins because they contain fluoride and since she was exclusively breastfeeding, she wasn't getting fluoride from water mixed with tap water. The fluoride will help her have good teeth. To be honest, I wasn't very good about giving my daughter the vitamins, but I did it some of the time.

My doc suggested we use that for our daughter as well. I just mixed it in with her bottle. With at least 6 oz of milk or formula the basically dissolves and cant be tasted.

If you are breastfeeding, continue taking your prenatel vitamins for your baby. that should be enough!! as far as iron.....my pedi told me that the iron we pass through our milk is not enough and an iron supplement is sometimes needed..BUT>>>>>> they checked my daughter's levels by drawing blood. I would suggest checking that before giving her any over the counter iron stuff. Talk to your doc about it. hope this helped a little

Unfortunately, many pediatricians are sadly lacking in up to date and accurate information on breastfeeding. While some people may feel that a doctor always knows best, I feel that my health and that of my children is mainly my responsibility. A doctor doesn't always know best, unfortunately so I think you are right and responsible to question a doctor's advice if you have doubts. YOU GO GIRL! :-)

I say no, for the healthy breastfed infant. Your breastmilk gives her EVERYTHING she needs nutritionally for at least the first year.

Did the dr. give a reason for wanting you to give the vitamins? Some iron supplements can be horribly constipating too. Here is an article from a great website that has soooo much breastfeeding info. http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamins.html

Also, I want to tell you about the free breastfeeding support group I am a member of. It is called For Babies Sake. There is a yahoo group for online support and we also meet every Tuesday night at the South Arlington Church of Christ at 830 Eden Rd. 76001. We meet at 7pm and it is led by a professional lactation consultant. There is a great group of ladies who attend and it is all very informal. Maybe I'll see you there.

1 / 3