Vitamin D Deficient Is That Why Hair Is Falling Out???

Help!!! 2 years ago I started having patchy bald spots all over my head (I know for sure it is not alopecia) The spot went away when I became pregnant with my 8 month old. Now they are back, I went through the normal hair shedding you go through after pregnancy and I am not shedding a large amount of hair currently it just comes out in patches!!! I went to an Endocrinologist and she said I am vitamin D deficient and that is why my hair is falling out. She put me on a prescription for Vitamin D and told me to take calcium supplements everyday. Has anyone gone through this???? Is the Vitamin D the answer??? She also mention my Thyroid is slightly enlarge and my Para Thyroid was high What does this mean??

Hi - I was treated for hyperthyroidism for several years after the birth of my first child. One of the symptoms that I first noticed was my hair thinning out, mainly in two patches. Once I started taking medication to regulate my thyroid, my hair stopped falling out, but these two patches remain thinner than the rest of my hair. The other symptoms that were very noticeable were rapid heartbeat, my fingernails were breaking off, my hands had a noticeable tremble, and I was very stressed (like a really, really bad PMS - always feeling on edge). The thyroid medication was wonderful and regulated all these symptoms. After about 8 years of treatment, my thyroid levels are now only slightly elevated and I don't require medication any more.

I am a hairdresser also for about the same amount of time as Susan and I completely agree with her. I was going to say the same exact thing. My husband has alopecia,but it is his eyebrow. It falls out when he is stressed. We have three kids so, he is stressed. He goes to a dermatologist and he gives him a shot of cortizone (in his eyebrow)and it starts to grow back. It will get better and it will grow back!

I have found the most common reasons for hair falling out in women is stress and nutrient deficiencies (i.e. Vit-D).

Stress: "Eats" up our B-vitamins and plays havoc on our bodies with the release of cortisol into our bloodstream. If stressed in daily life is common, practice deep breathing (from the belly, not chest). Take short walks, read, exercise or do what relaxes you. Recognize your stress triggers. Take a good B-Complex every day. I suggest women keep B-vitamins in their purse to take them when they have sugar, processed flours such as pasta or feel the tension mounting at home or even in traffic.

Nutrients: Review your diet. Raw veggies, fruits, nuts and whole grains followed by theses foods in a cooked state and limit your meats to chicken, fish and lean red.

If you are not on a whole food multi-vitamin and mineral, start there. I recommend most women take a calcium/magnesium supplement with vitamin D(3). Soda's are acidic and leach out our calcium which could be the reason for Osteoporosis numbers rising; Magnesium is excellent for hundreds of functions and 80% of us run short of it in our diet and 60% of Americans do not have enough vitamin D because when in the sun, we wear sunscreen.

You get the nutrients you need for your body and your hair will be lush and thick!!

The thyroid needs zinc. You can safely take up to 100mg per day. Diet and nutrition has repeatedly improved the thyroid function.

Keep in mind that research proves that even with a diet of 3000 calories per day, we are malnourished. The majority of our American foods are not nutrient dense. As early as 2003 Harvard Medical School published a Food Pyramid which recommends a daily multi-vitamin for most. -M.

After decades vitamin personal vitamin use with various brands but continued health decline and then much research, I highly recommend the company Shaklee for supplements and other natural products. You can find a rep at www.Shaklee.com or contact me. If you like to visit a nutritionist, I can recommend one. Blessings!

As someone who has battled hypothyroidism for 10 years, I sympathize. Is soon as they got my thyroid meds regulated, my hair started filling back. I also could make it more than 4 hours without a nap and began to feel like a human again! I started out with an enlarged thyroid that my OB/GYN found at a yearly visit. After going through testing to make sure it wasn't cancer, they began meds and my thyroid actually shrunk back to normal size. I'm surprised they aren't putting you on thyroid meds or at least testing your levels (from what I could tell from you post). I have several people at my church who see an amazing Endocronologist who keeps their levels amazingly accurate with meds. As soon as I have my baby, I'll go see her as well. It's not easy for me to switch doctors, but I'm convinced she is great! Her info is..

Dr. Evangelina Castaneda

4100 W. 15th Street

Suite 118

Plano, TX 75093

Phone ###-###-####

Hi K.. I do believe that Vitamin D does a lot for hair because I drink a 16 ounce milk every single day and I've drank milk for almost every day of my life. I don't eat very healthy, and it's rare that I eat vegetables. And when I get my hair cut they always say something like "You must have a very very healthy diet because this is the most healthy hair I have ever seen." I don't say anything to them but the only thing I could think was "well, the only healthy thing I do eat or drink is milk, so that's gotta be it." I hope this helps but to kinda answer your question, I think that vitamin d does a lot of good for hair.

Could be Vitamin D, could be protein deficiency, could be biotin deficiency, could be thyroid issues.

Hello,Iam S.. Iam a Hairdresser. I have seen these patches before. How much stress you are under and how you handle it;your body does strange things. This could be a sign of stress. I had a client that the opposite happened to her when she was pregnant;hers fell out and left patches. after about a year it all came back. I have always heard that thyroid(you ahve to check all 4 levels though);stress and nutrition(sp). Your body will take from your hair what ever it needs. You might try a dermatologist though;iam not a doctor;just a hair stylist for 22yrs. Good luck!

K.,
You are on the right path of finding out what the source of your hair loss is. I really believe in partnering up with your provider to solve, augment your symptoms.
Also, information is good to seek on your own so when you go to your return appointment you are armed with the right questions to ask. Be aware of where your information is coming from. Get several input from sources. Here are a few:

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/symptomsproblems/a/hairloss.htm

http://www.dermatology.org/skincare/hair/aa.html

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/409044

Read with care - always confer with a trained professional like your MD.

1 / 3