Vicks VapoRub & Asthma/Coughing

My 10 1/2 month old son has asthma and he coughs quite a bit during the night. Sometimes it wakes him up and sometimes it does not. I've hear that rubbing Vicks VapoRub on a child's feet at night and then putting socks on makes them stop coughing. Does anyone have any experience with this remedy? I am wondering if he is too young for this or if he could have any adverse reactions to it. Thank you in advance for your feedback. Merry Christmas!

Thank you so very much for all the advice! Because he has asthma, I've decided to go ahead and call his pulmonologist first to get the OK. However, I think the next time my husband or I have a cold with a cough, we will definitely try this remedy. Thanks again & Merry Christmas to you all and your families!

Hi A.

Yes I've used this and it seems to be the ONLY thing that works for my son when he's coughing at night. I've used the baby vicks and the regular vicks. both work well. He is 3 1/2. good luck!!

I rub the vicks vapor rub on my sons feet and cover them with socks. Within 5 minutes he is sound asleep and no coughing. It's a miracle worker!!

I've done this with my daughter and it seems to work pretty well. I don't know why. I also use the Vicks cool mist humidifier.

Every child is different, and if he does have any health issues definitely check with your doctor. That said, used it on both of mine when they were babies that way and it did work well. Good luck, happy holidays.

Hi A.,,
Yes i've heard that ,but i don't know about a baby i'd call his DR.1st to make sure
Merry Christmas to you

My friends teasingly call me Mama Vicks. The vicks will not compromise his asthma. I have 4 boys, 1 that had severe asthma (and Restrictive Airway Disorder when he was little) and the Vicks was my saving grace! I would use both the vicks on his feet and cover with socks and a humidifier with Vicks liquid in the water to keep him opened up. Most pulmonary specialists will tell you to use it with the little ones to avoid the steroids when it's not necessary over night.

Hope all goes well with your little one. Brightest blessings to you and your family!

Vicks definitely works! They have the Vicks for babies, which is not quite as overpowering as the other. It has a pink lid. I know for a fact that HEB carries it.

My husband laughed at me the first time he had a cold and I told him to rub Vicks on his feet and it would open up his head. Reluctantly he let me do it and now he does it every time he is suffering from allergies, cold, etc.

I did this with my daughter when she was about six months old because I didn't want to give her medications for a stuffy nose and stuffed up head. I never thought that much mucous could come out of such a small child. It definitely works to break up the congestion and stuffiness and did help with the cough as well.

I hope this helps you!

If his coughing is asthma related, no amount of Vicks is going to stop it. You need to control the reason for the cough, if it is asthma he needs his asthma medicine. If it is allergies, he needs allergy medicine. Also, try elevating his head a little by putting something under his mattress on one end. He'll probably roll to the low side, but it helps the cough if the head is elevated. Nothing is worse for a person who can't breathe than having to lay down flat.

This works wonders for coughs and colds. I first used this treatment when my daughter was 3 months old for a cold and it cleared her up rather quickly. There are no side effects or age limits. It works for adults too!

I'm a 33 year old mom and have a 19 month old son. I heard that from a co-worker when my baby was sick as well. Well, my husband and I tried it on his feet with the socks, and no result. It did not work for us but some sware by it. If you do make sure you get the Baby Vicks. Also ask you doctor about a cool mist humidifier. My son has allergies and they suggested that instead of a vaporizer. We run the cool mist humidifier all the time now, the doctor said that was better for allergies and asthma. (which my son is prone to getting from his daddy's side) Well good luck, and I hope your baby feels better.

As an asthmatic who has two asthmatic children I strongly suggest that you NOT get any of the vapor stuff near your asthmatic child. On one of the web doctor sites (can't remember which one)says that the vapor stuff triggers the asthma. I can verify that this happens. I was using the vaporizer in my children's room and they got worse and worse. I looked it up and found out about this. Also, do not use the Halls cough drops if you have asthma. It has the same vapor ingredient and aggravates the asthma.

I suggest researching all the online web doctor sites to find out for yourself, but that is what I found out. At the time my son was 5. He is now 12 and doing well with his asthma.

I am sure that by now you realize that not all asthma sufferers do the wheezing. A great number of us show that our asthma has flared up by coughing. When either of my children or I start coughing I know it is time to get more aggressive with the asthma treatments.

I wish you a most Blessed Christmas season.

1 / 3