Vicks on Baby's Feet?

My 6 month old daughter has a cough--I think she just has a cold. I read that some ppl have put vicks vapor rub on the baby's feet then put socks on for night time coughing. Does this really work? Do you use adult vicks or baby vicks?

Be careful with Vick's of any kind, in some people it has been found to constrict the airway and make issues worse. You might want to try a saline nasal spray and nose sucker, cool air humidifier, and elevating the head of her mattress slightly first.

There is no reason why it SHOULD work, but I swear it does! I do it with both of my children ages 2 and 4 and have done it with baby Vicks when they were infants.

My ped said you don't even have to put it ON your baby, just somewhere she can smell it like on a rag placed near her head somewhere she can't reach it (under the bed?). It is all about the vapors, not the contact. You can also use the Vicks (tabs?) in a humidifier for the best effects since it will also help break up the cough.

Hi A.! I'd ask your pediatrician if it's okay first. I use the Vicks plug-ins with my son when he's sick. You put the plug-in into an outlet, then put a tab of Vicks on it which then heats and spreads the vapors overnight. It's very easy, no mess, and works well all night. I don't think that was recommended for babies under one year though. Something about the possibility of a reaction that might cause the baby's airways to constrict instead.
I think my pediatrician suggested just cool mist humidifiers and putting a pillow under the head of the mattress for the first year. I know it's miserable because you feel like you're not doing anything to help. Hang in there!
ps- If your ped does approve the Vicks, there was a coupon in the newspaper this weekend for a dollar off any Vicks product.

We've used both...baby and adult vicks. I think it helped. And it's worth a try, right? good luck

I'm not here about the vicks. Another poster said they elevated their baby with a boppy at night. Please do not do that. It's too dangerous to have stuffed things in a baby's crib. Get a mattress wedge & put it under her crib matress. I keep our under our boy's mattresses all the time because of allergies.

God bless!

I put it on my baby when she was that age..I put it on her back and feet. i used the baby vix...it seemed to help her with the coughing...oh and I ONLY did it at night. What really helps is a cool mist humidifer in the room. Also in the bathroom, I had a normal tub and would put the vix baby soap in the tub and then I would run (in the sink..not the tub) HOT HOT HOT water to create steam.
if you are worried about the vix from the previous posts, then dont do it, but steam in the bathroom and cool mist humidifer will DEF work...

I do it as an adult & on my kids they have 1 for babies & the older version not alot then use socks..Hope she get's well we have had all 3 sick already

1 / 3